Gas leaks upon fill up

-

chasb

Reaction score
I get a little puddle occasionally after I put gas in. I never top it off.

Any suggestions??

This is what my rust free tank looked like from the inside, one of three possible things are happening,
1. Seam leak, rusting from the inside out (happens when you get condensation and never have it filled up, will not happen if you keep the gas level above the seam. It could leak with as little 7 gallons in the tank. also pretty rare, but possible is a rust through in the finnel neck, but the gas smell would be really strong in the trunk.
2. bad filler tube to tank gasket, looks like a really big grommit. Would take about 12-13 gallons to leak.
3. could be a leak from the fuel pickup to tank sean at the front of the tank, takes about 10 gallons for this to leak.

100_0162.jpg

My 1971 Duster leaks whenever the tank is more than 3/4 full.

I traced the leak to the fuel sending unit seal.

The fuel sending unit is located on the passenger side of the tank, about 3/4 way between the bottom and the top of the front facing (closest to the rear axle carrier).

There are rubber seals/gaskets available that are a replacement for the original.

BTW my tank is relatively new, and shows no other leaks.

From the looks of things, my car appeared to be where someone over-tightened the fuel sending unit seal/gasket when they installed the sending unit.

Easy repair, even with the tank in the car.

Flash...now you are just being silly...they used magic candles that burn with cold fusion.

-
Back