Gas spills when gas pump shuts off

-

buck351

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I hadn't use the 67 Dart much until I did the restoration. I am finding that the gas pumps don't shut off fast enough and it spills out the filler tube down the side of the car. this happens even if I run it slow. I tried different pumps at the same station and different startions. I suspect it's because I have a striaght filler pipe without the disc with a hole in the disc for the pump nozzle causing it to sense the gas filling up too late.

I've have the same issue with my 73. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has a solution.

I have gotten in the habit of listening for it, sometimes you can hear it coming up the filler pipe.

In my 65 Valiant I hold the pump sideways, and listen for the gurgling to get louder. As soon as it sounds any different than normal (its easy to hear, you don't have to put your face up to it or anything), I stop pumping. Any more than that and it will overflow.

Yep, I too listen for it while it fills.... I get a lot of funny looks when at the pumps!

Same problem with my 69 Dart, I'll try the listening thing, from a safe distance of course!

I always set the pump fill on the lowest/slowest setting too.... that seems to stop it most of the time, but I keep my hand on the pump just in case!

The best thing I can equate it too is the sound change when filling a glass with water from the tap, if you listen you will hear the "tone" change as it gets fuller. Same thing with the filler tube.

i hold it in the car upside down and pump the gas very slow. and do not top off after the pump stops itself..

Be nice if someone came up with a fix to this. A while ago on Laysons website there was a mention of them having a fix for the early A's, but it was a while ago.......

Seems like a pia, but what about just removing a chunk of the metal tube, as low as possible, and putting a clear hose in its place. You would have to open the trunk to see it, but once you seen gas you fuel in the tube you could just shut it off......

I agree with most that you get used to the sound. I think it is something with the bigger openings. My wife's 67 Deville convert is the same way. When you here the gurgling shut it off. My gas gage doesn't work either (hers does) so every 100 miles or so I start looking for a station just to be safe. I just carry a pen and paper in the console to remind me what the mileage was at last fill.

Our Fairlane has a rear fill, for some reason it always shut off, and its filler neck is a good deal shorter than our A-bodies. When I took off out of a station with the Fairlane, it would leave a trail for a bit.....

i normally use the shamrock station in town. when i fill up their pump will shut off right before it comes gushing out. it seems like those pumps are the only ones i have used that give me a warning. it seems like every other pump likes to spit it out before it will shut off. idk maybe its me ...no thats not what she said lol

i stand there & hold the lever on the pump(1st notch on the auto shut off is still too fast)
and listen for it to gurgle. do not top it off or it'll puke gas right down the side of this
ole 66 cuda.

my duster has a nice clean stripe from the filler down the quarter panel.

bought my 65 with said "racing stripe"...invert the pump nozzle when pumping and keep a rag handy. Wax helps minimize potential damage too.

I used to have that problem in GA with my Newport, but not in CA. I think the pumps are different here with vapor recovery outer hoses that seal to the fill pipe. As I understand, the pump senses the buildup of air pressure when the fuel starts rising up the fill tube. It doesn't need contact with the gas, but it does need a fairly good seal to build up the pressure.

For those too young to remember, the smaller fill openings came with unleaded gas to keep those then-new cars from using leaded gas which was cheaper, but damaged catalytic converters. That was quickly defeated by companies selling plastic funnels. Congress soon eliminated all leaded gas, and we are stuck with small nozzles and longer fill-up times.

I tried listening but they have the sealing boot on the hose that makes it hard to hear. I'll try holding it back and not sealing the boot on the pipe. I've been taking 5 gallon cans to the station in the truck filling them up and using those to filll the GTS Dart.

One attendent came out while I was filling and I mentioned my problem. He was nice, got a rag and held it on the car under the filler tube while I was filling her up.

-
Back