Gas station melt down

-

Abodymachine

Reaction score
Let me set the scene for you.. i am 21 yrs old.. driving my 73 plymouth duster (360 3.23 posi) my dad and i built.. pulled into a gas station to put some 93 in her. Everytime i drive her i always get some looks as usual.. makes me feel good.. anyways i go in and pay come back out and a father/son duo pull up to the next pump and they are checking out the car while i am gassing her up.. now i normally get "wow what a nice mopar" or "what is that 360 wedge on the hood mean" but not this fellow..
the son asks that world famous question.. wow dad what a cool car what is it??.. and that dad says... " well son they only made this nova in 72".. i then dropped my gas gap i held in my hand.. my first experience of being called a piece of chevy!!!

73 duster (360)
71 demon (360)
72 dart (383)
75 scamp (318)

Chalk it up to an old (non car) guy.
Just remember, you will lose your memory when you get old.
They made millions of Novas.

I have been around this since i was little.. i attended my first mopar show when i was a week old (gotta love my dad) and i thought that would never happen to me.. completely dumb founded

Don't feel too bad, had a somewhat similar situation back in the '80's. I was at a cruise-in and a couple about my age (early-mid 20's), were walking by. The guy says nice car, what is it? Boy, I really felt like punching him in the brain. All he had to do is look at the badging on the car, as the barracuda scripts are on both front fenders and on the trunk for '67. Mind you the car was less than 20 years old at the time.....

TRUE! A non car guy speaks stupid things, but have MERCY on his SOUL!

In retrospect, he just made your car cooler than cool to his son who will not truly remember what was said to him years from now. His son just walked away saying, "WOW! I just seen a cool rare 1 year only car!" How cool is that to a kid. It may actually be his intro into the car world.

Now, take the dad to the side and speak softly saying, "Sorry Sir, the car is actually a 1 year only Hemi-Quazi-moto 4 over head valve katana wedge engine, with dual overhead cam's riding on tuffridged valve caps for extra valve speed and action Modified by the late great world record hold, Dick Landy and his sons."

And just keep on going. LOL!

Seriously, just correct the dad as nicely as possible and invite him and his son to check the car out if you have 15 min.'s to spare. Teach'em young...and old.

So maybe they will go fishing and when junior reals in a carp and dad will tell him its a large mouth bass ? No harm done. Dads will be dads.

Don't feel too bad, had a somewhat similar situation back in the '80's. I was at a cruise-in and a couple about my age (early-mid 20's), were walking by. The guy says nice car, what is it? Boy, I really felt like punching him in the brain. All he had to do is look at the badging on the car, as the barracuda scripts are on both front fenders and on the trunk for '67. Mind you the car was less than 20 years old at the time.....

LOL, YEA! Love these guys! I had to calm my freind down with a sim. happening. A 20 year old kid, maybe at best, driving down the Trnoke leans out the window and asks, "Hey! Cool car man! What is it?"

Instead of just barking back "It's a '66 Chrager, first year they made them" My idiot friend screams

"It's a FU%^&(in Helicopter you ***!" F$%^in read the script you SH$%^*!"
While he points to the words "Charger" on the sial panel.

Nice, one less kid into old cars! Just what the hobby needs.

Take the time to correct and show'em different, don't get wound up when they argue with you, and if there a jerk, as in like they can't read, my fav is to ask'em what school they went to. When they answer, I say out loud, "Thank GOD my kids don't go there!"

When they ask why, I say that since you can't read the words of the manufacture on the car, (Point to it!) and I know your old enuff to know these things after all, you do drive right, you can read right? (point to more and different locations of car make and model) But your school failed to quailfy you in basic thinking nevermind critical thinking"
I point to the cars reggie, in New York, the make and year are on the reggie, on the windsheild, driverside. And we know this here, why doesn't he? DUH!)

IT works for me.

So maybe they will go fishing and when junior reals in a carp and dad will tell him its a large mouth bass ? No harm done. Dads will be dads.

Your right, a fish is a fish on the end of a kids line. Nothing like the first one!
my uncle took me on my first fishing trip, added 2 hooks to the line and what do you know, my first time out, first bated set of hooks got me 2 little fish, I lost my mind!

to close the story... after the forbidden statement was given i did shake it off after picking up my gas gap. i let the nice guy no that it was a plymouth duster with a 360. The kid then asked the commercial question "does it got a hemi" i laughed and said my daddy won't let me. then drove the 5 mi back home and asked myself the question "maybe i will drive the scamp next weekend.. and someone will call it an impala." haha

yea i wasnt going to be hateful to the fella but i did there for a five second window want to grab him by the scruff of the neck pop the hood and hold the throttle wide open and then ask if it was a chevy.

Instead of just barking back "It's a '66 Chrager, first year they made them" My idiot friend screams

"It's a FU%^&(in Helicopter you ***!" F$%^in read the script you SH$%^*!"
While he points to the words "Charger" on the sial panel.
lived in NJ for 27 years and would expect nothing less:toothy10::toothy10:

rumble fish that is hilarious about the helicopter.. my buddy has a scamp and something similar happened on an interstate.. classic.. except his had in huge letters down the rear quarters plymouth like the ol superbirds.. almost pissed my pants.

OK, I'm seriously LOL! That was classic and true!
Ahhh, the wonderful and overly wound up North East, gotta love this place. Lots of great people that can't stop moving or go fast enuff.

Ahhh, the wonderful and overly wound up North East, gotta love this place. Lots of great people that can't stop moving or go fast enuff.
if you ever do leave the North East the attitude goes with you.....mellows out a bit but never goes away.....

(Sigh) Yea, I hear ya, (Long) Island (e)r lifer, made with parts from Brooklyns Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Looking foward to the "Sticks" and no one to bother me in a few years. LOL

My son and I were fishin' on the Sacandaga Reservoir along the shoreline in a John-Boat, and he latched on to the ONLY bite of the day.......nearly pulled him in the lake.......

...a 5 pound 6 ounce carp that fought like a stinking bass, and to this day we still talk about it.........

Sometimes the best thrills come in cheap packages.......(it used to tick ME off when the Bozo's at the car shows called my Dart Sport a "Duster"........Good Grief.........................)

lmao.. pastortom... the ol john boat couldnt hold em huh.. great stuff.. yea everytime my dad goes to the track at gaineville or valdost ga, the anouncer always says "what a nice lime green duster we have here as dad pulls into the lane" i laugh because my dad would have a fit.

Believe it or not, I had one guy look at my '73 Cuda for 5 min.'s and just before he walked away, he says to me;

"Nice Mustang, what year." :sad3::tongue2::axe:

wow rumblefish now i think i would have said something bad if he studied the car for a few min and happened to miss all 5 or 6 badges that carry the name plymouth or cuda.. WOW!!!

Na, I was honestly so stupidified and stunned, I didn't know what to say. But I did manage to point and say read just before he turned away.

Track anouncers crack me up. They called my Magnum a , well, a cool car, a little rusty and crusty. Ehhh, whatever. LOL, it was and still is the truth. But they did call it a Magnum. (1979)

Hey now, wait a minute... you guys just didn't go far enough Northeast. 8)

To cold, even in summer...LOL, knee slapper...

I have noticed once I get outta this metro area, people actually become human and nice, north or south of this city.

ABODYMACHINE,

You need to look up member "Challengergary".
He will make you some custom stripes that will be sure nobody will ever mistake you car for a Nova again.

Heck, he can make it say "It's a friggin DUSTER moron" on the side....of course with a fancy stripe to go with it. LOL.

LOL, or "NOT A NOVA!"

Or, Not a NOVA dam it!

haha this is great.. maybe MOPAR.. how bout this i was in a parade a few weeks ago.. park the car.. walk away get a drink come back and notice someone standing next to the duster with some duct tape... i was like ok whatever he is probably just checking out the car.. i walk up and ask how are you doing.. and he says i need to put this number on your car.. i said ok that is fine thinking it can just go under the wiper.. i turn around to go put something in the trunk.. then i hear "RIPPPP" duct tape sound about to touch the paint with the number.. I about "BO DUKE"d it across the hood and said what the hell are you doing.. That is the day a man almost dies for putting a number on a car.. the wrong way..

-
Back