Gas tank cleaning

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a good way to clean a 50 year old gas tank? My '73 Dart project has the original tank. It's not rusted. It has some kind of gritty deposits that precipitated out of the gas over the years. I checked youtube. The videos I watched seemed a bit sketchy.

New tanks are fairly inexpensive compared to the cleaning process and a lot more effective at coming out with a solution to the problem. That being said, one of my friends straps tanks to his cement mixer and puts drywall screws in them.

If you could put some Simple Green or Purple Power in the tank and then use a semi soft bristle brush, you might get it cleaner. If you use Muriatic acid, it will eat the coating off the inside, which must be intact if it isn't rusted inside. Not to mention that stuff will eat you alive if you fiddle around and get it on your skin! You might be able to rig the brush handle up to a stick or bent piece of metal rod to reach into both of the 2 holes in the tank so you can scrub it. Good luck to you!

:thumbsup:

Best way is to throw a new tank in. Seriously, not worth the effort unless its something you cant get a tank for.

That^^^ Its 50 years old, how thick do you think the coating is? You don't want to mess with it again. Ask me how I know.

A new tank really would be the best solution, but if he's just fixing a driver and willing to put in a little elbow grease since it's just crud instead of rust, it won't hurt to try and clean it.

Last one I cleaned did appear to be rust free. It always clogged the fuel filter with a really fine rust colored powder. I think once the zinc coating goes the tank is done.

I had one in a 74 Duster do the same exact thing. Got tired of replacing fuel filters and finally replaced it. Hopefully, the OP will have better luck.

Any of you folks that have failures, use a fuel tank coating or anything after you cleaned it ?
There are several avail for different tanks.
Including some for aircraft .

8 fl oz is enough to coat the inside of a 6 gallon fuel tank. 32 fl oz (quart) is enough to coat the inside of a 25 gallon fuel tank. Formerly U.S. Standard Fuel Tank Sealer. - POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer Technical Data Sheet.

• Brand: POR-15
  • Price: $16.99

Last edited:
I've heard of using diesel fuel and rocks in the tank and sloshing it around for a few hours. Now who is going to do that sloshing? That would be big and heavy and awkward. And the end result would still be iffy to me.

So when I did my 71 Demon, I just got a new tank for like $125 or so. WELL worth it!!

Do not use a sealer. High rate of failure. Been there and done that. I sorta understand how to do it properly now, there is a history of failure with it, I have had both failure and success. Besides, you said there is no rust, no good reason to even try sealing it. You can try flushing it, good luck to you. Or, replacing it is good advice.

Most all new tanks are electro plated on the inside now. That means the inside of the tank is too slick to allow the tank lining products to adhere. ALL the Spectra tanks are electro plated. I found out the hard way not to line them.

Okay, a new tank it is. Thanks to all responders. Ebay has a tank plus sender for $140.00. No mention of the brand or quality of the pieces. Anyone bought one of these?

Spectra is usually the go to tank.

Back in the day I used purple cleaner and threw a chain in the tank and shook it around. Seemed to work pretty well and it's easy to get a chain out of the tank. Removed nearly all the varnish and had no issues with bad fuel after that.

A chain sounds like a good idea. I need to find a big kid to shake it for me.

I checked with "Gas tank Renu". They quoted me +/- $1100.00. There system is elaborate and very good as explained. Comes with a lifetime warranty. The one on ebay for $147 is from JC Whitney.

I checked with "Gas tank Renu". They quoted me +/- $1100.00. There system is elaborate and very good as explained. Comes with a lifetime warranty. The one on ebay for $147 is from JC Whitney.

$1100 lol

I'd rather look into this one. Do some research online. Maybe you can find it cheaper or with free shipping.

WOW! Last time I had one done it was under a hundred bucks... guess it's been longer than I thought!

I know what you mean professor. Times have changed.

RockAuto= approximately $200 for just a tank. Factor in shipping and tax!

10 year warranty. Free shippin. 105 bucks. 30 seconds to find.
Gas Tank

Spectra, also keep your old fuel sender. New ones aren't calibrated to the gas tank.
Okay, a new tank it is. Thanks to all responders. Ebay has a tank plus sender for $140.00. No mention of the brand or quality of the pieces. Anyone bought one of these?

-
Back