gasoline in 5 gal clear plastic jug, OK or not OK?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
want to try adding water to gas to get the ethanol to be able to be separated/removed as in a utube vid. will a 5 gallon plastic jug that I have be OK for this or will the gas attack/eat away the plastic? thank you for your time. RR

My old neighbor used a gallon milk jug for his lawnmower gas. Cheap guy.
He would fill it up at the minimart, no question's asked. :realcrazy:

well the gas would only be in there for a short time. you add water to the gas, shake it up/let it set for awhile & the ethanol & water mix & settle to the bottom then you siphon off the now ethanol free gas from the top. Just something I've been wanting to try

I have a friend who keeps gas in clear gatorade plastic bottles. For when he has to start the old ford beasts. Keeps one in the engine bay of several fords. They start every time and the bottles aren't eaten away.

I'm very curious as to how to remove the ethanol form my gas.
Also curious if the gas will go bad without the ethanol.

I get my alcohol free gas the old school way...

Buck-ees or Maverick

As for gas and plastic....
I have used 1 gallon windshield washer fluid bottles to empty my tank several times.

No issues so far.

Yeah most plastic bottles are fine for gas. I keep laquer thinner in gatorade bottles in the garage. I have used milk jugs for gas in a pinch.

Not advisable to do this.

If you remove the ethanol you are also changing the octane rating, making it quite lower than you want, even for lawn mowers. Ethanol has high octane and it is a cheap way to get the octane of the fuel higher.

Most local oil companies have non ethanol gas and most lake or river boat docks have non ethanol also. And if your talking containers like these below, we keep 112 race gas in them for months at a time over the winter. There not DOT approved as a gas can, but F that…

SpeedFX Liquid Storage Container 5 Gallon Capacity White Plastic With Filler Hose and Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QX8Z35X/?tag=fabo03-20

On a side note...

I had inadvertantly gotten a piece of duct tape in the gas tank of my dart. About 8 inches.

The mesh and a small out of adhesive came out with the stick I had a camera taped to.

The plastic silver part did not come out of the tank.

3 years or so later I had to pull the tank.

I shined a light in the inlet hole..

There it was, just sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Absolutely no change.

I too want to try this- I saw the video a few weeks ago. I’m not sure on the octane rating dropping or raising. I need to check that out as well. Lawn mowers are really low compression. Here in the communist state of Connecticut- you don’t really have the option to by ethanol free fuel at the pump. But from auto part stores in gallon containers at $25 per gallon. 5 gallon jugs are over $100 per. I’ve tried a lot of additives and none make it to their claim. I prep and have about 100 gals at any time in sealed cans. I mark them and use them (rotate them) every 18months- 2 years with additive just does not make it. My math says if the ethanol gas at roughly $4 per gallon and you remove the ethanol (roughly 1/3 the volume) that fuel is now $6 per gallon. (Quick math) still cheaper than $25 per gallon.

We have a lot of boat marinas here and just about all of them sell ethanol free fuel. There are now two regular gas stations selling it within 20 minutes from me.
There is a website out there that you punch in your zip code and it will tell you where all the closest stations are that sell ethanol free fuel. There are also multiple apps available for your phone.

Almost all 91/93 octane around here is no ethanol. There are even a couple of stations that have 87 octane with no ethanol. Yes you pay a price of about 20 to 30 cents a gallon more for the low octane but how much gas do my small engines use? Lawn mower hasn't been started in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the lead. I just found out there is a second location in my county with non ethanol. It's less than a mile from me and the other site is almost 15 miles.
I notice almost all non ethanol gas is either non branded, sincliar(wyoming) or maverick.

-
Back