Gasser axle [a/d100 shortened ]on 66 valiant

-

Reaction score
HI fellas .after some thought .i was wondering on making my 66 valiant a gasser ?since most of the problems lie in the exhaust in these cars .just think no torsion bars in the way .yeah id have to tie the frame and the ride would be awful..but it would be nice to have the gasser stance .my main concern is the pitman arm .it will need more length .has anybody done this ?i have seen it done on falcons with econoline axles .any suggestions on people who have tried it ?not going to alter wheel base ,just go for the gasser look ? there is so much info on here im sure some one has info /pics for me thanks all!:prayer:

I used an A-100 van axle narrowed three and one half inches on my 69 valiant.I used the springs that came with the axle.

thanks ,did you use the 69 steering box and steering arm off of the a100 .also looks like it raised it a good amount ,[what im looking for ] also i know caster /camber is built in ,how does it ride ,is it streetable or is there alot of steering corrections being made while driving ? thanks again your car is ''BITCHIN''

It drives good, at first it had too much caster so I put 4 degree shims between the axle and springs. The axle is forged steel not cast iron. The steering box is from a chevy van and the pitman arm is a combination of mopar and chevy.

I used a drag link not cross steer, I dont know how to upload pics from my phone, will have to wait to use a computer

am i right to assume you dont need torsion bars anymore since its part of the main suspension .? so relocated box no t bars ,all outside arms and such gone ,no center link to interfere with the oil pan .sounds like with fenderwells you could put a 440 in it with no trouble ? but i know a small block would be easier .thanks and keep the info coming !

No torsion bars or control arms, the tie rod is behind the axle,the steering box is mounted in the front leg of the k-member. I used the stock motor mounts on the k-member.

I was in the process of doing it on a '66, and oddly, the 48-52 Ford F100 is a perfect width.

all this info is great ,especially the steering box location .even more room !what about disc brakes, anyone have a suggestion ? thanks all /seems theirs alot of us that still love that gasser look.i can only remember ''THE HAIRY CANARY''.BUT ALOT OF DARTS AND THE STREWSBERRY CARS ?THIS IS BEGINNING TO SOUND FEASIBLE,ANY PICS .THANKS ALL !

I have heard of guys using a front end out of a Mitsubishi L300.

here are a few pics of my car i will try to find some more.

Attachments

• DSCF0401.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 887
  • DSCF1011.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 800
  • valiant project 004.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 756
  • DSCF0518.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 691
Or, you could skip all that and use a Speedway Motors kit, and have brand new front suspension, disc brakes, steering arms, and drag link, and even use the stock, manual, steering box, and K-member if you would like.

The kit with the smaller mustang II brakes will work with most wheels, and has the Mopar/Ford 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, or use the big Wilwood brakes, but have limited options on front wheels.

The 48 inch wide kit is perfect...as is the 4 inch drop...even if you have to tweak the height to clear the drag link by adding spacer blocks.

Here is my build thread....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=103721

And a couple of other Valiants with the Speedway kits.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=131217

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=118725

Mine:

IMG_20121124_120849.jpg

IMG_20121124_120911.jpg

IMG_20121125_182940.jpg

I like .i like both cars are bitchin!! Thanks so much for the info and pics ,now i understand.a pic is worth a thousand words for sure!!!

i checked out speedways axles.it is nice and affordable .my question ,would you use the straight axle if you had to do it again [because of clearance ,steering ,spring rubbing ,axle location] would that solve those problems? i love the stance of the 64 and 69 have ,but dont want to get it any higher than that . so are my choices more height ,or use the 4 inch drop and use spacers ,which would be fine if i can get the steering/ spring McLean . thanks guys !

I would still use the 4 inch dropped axle if I were to do it again. The undropped axle sits too high in my opinion, and it still might end up needing some spacers. The 4 inch dropped axle worked fine with a little spacing, and you can use the stock steering box and k-member. Dropped steering arms clear everything where the draglink is concerned, and if you don't use a deep sump oil pan you will have more clearance than I ended up with.

thanks for all the info and pics guys.its helped me out alot!!!oh yeah 1 more question .what brand/model # headers did you use ?

The Hedman Huslers....true fenderwells...the Hooker "semi fenderwells" hit the springs. I don't have the part number handy but I believe there is only one application for a smallblock in an early A.

Looks like your spindles are upside down. The drag is suppose to be parallel to the str8 axle

Last edited:
-
Back