Gear selecter seal

-
There are 2 seals there to be replaced,, the inner kickdown shaft and the outter shift lever..

Yes they can be changed with the trans in,, but will need the valve body removed for an easy replacement...

With the v/body out, you can tap the case seal out from below,.. and I usually chamfer the new seal to aid installation, use a little "permatex" around the outer edge , then use a small slide hammer up thru the hole,, then the seal, an appropriate size washer and nut,, then use the slide hammer to gently tap/pull the seal back down into the case..

The inner kick-down seal needs the circlip and washer removed,, then a small tool to pry the seal out,, noting direction of lip,, reverse to install,,

hope it helps

With the vb out , I use a nut and bolt and two washers. One washer on top the seal and one inside the tranny . Tighten the nut and bolt and it will draw the seal into the case.

Just changed those two seals out on my 904. I didn't even need to drop the pan. It can be done from the outside with just basic hand tools.

Yup, did it from the outside
Try not to drop the TV lever down. Eyeball its indexing before you remove the E-clip. If it drops down, pull it up later and return it to its indexed position. secure it with the clip, drop the lever down onto it, and prove that it still works; should return under spring pressure when lever pushed to the rear.Its hard to mess up, so dont panic.

yeah it's pie and I use a socket and a small hammer to tap outer seal in.

I asked about replacing the seal(s) with the trans still in the car. Not much room to tap it in from the top. Thanks to those who helped. Those are some really good ideas.

I got my seal in place and put a deep socket over it. Then used a huge C clamp on top of the socket and on the pan to press the seal it. It didn't take much pressure and worked perfectly. It didn't scratch or dent the pan. I did the shift selector seal first. And then did the kickdown seal last. I kept a small pair of needle nose vise grips on it to keep it from dropping into the pan.

There are 2 seals since there are 2 moving shafts in the same hole. Replacing the outer seal only may or may not stop a leak.
Replacing anything is easier done while standing (with the car on a lift ) than done while laying on your back under the car.
I mention this because those who responded didn't say what their work conditions were.
Valve body has a crowd of bolts through but only a handful are actually holding the valve body up. A service manual will show which bolts need to be removed to drop the valve body without separating it and loosing the check ball orientation.
Good luck

Do you guys happen to have a part # for the two seals?

I don't have part numbers. I'll share my experience, sad as it is.
A short time after replacing the selector shaft seals in my 904, the front seal started leaking. All of the seals have the same construction, life expectancy, age, so no surprises here. Good luck with yours.

-
Back