Gear Vendors in but big engine problems

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Got the gear vendors in and seemed to be working well. All of the sudden no oil pressure and I was running it hard. Heavy knocking started by the time I caught the oil gauge at 0. Had it towed to my house and now I need to diagnose. WTF It has less than 2500 miles on the engine. Please tell me it something simple. I hope I didnt trash my new engine.

That blows. Massive leak? Filter collapsed? Defective pump came apart? Could be lots of things.

If you had a stock one,especially used,it prob wrung off.Ive seen ot before quite a rew times,especially with hight volume pumps,just a thought

I drove fro about 1 mile before I noticed the oil pressure at 0. I lost power and knocking was heavy.

Sorry man. If I were you I'd pull the engine. All the oil passageways probably have bearing flakes in them from the cam bearings. Even if not, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Like I said, bummer.

How can a brand new pro built motor **** the bed on me? The worst is running through my head right now. My dipstick has a gash in it and doesnt want to drop in the pan easy. Could it be a busted pickup? WTF I have way too much coin in this thing for it to be blown up. Someone make me feel better.

Only explanation is you must have done something to anger the Mopar Gods.

How can a brand new pro built motor **** the bed on me? The worst is running through my head right now. My dipstick has a gash in it and doesnt want to drop in the pan easy. Could it be a busted pickup? WTF I have way too much coin in this thing for it to be blown up.

Quote -
"Someone make me feel better".

Well, at least you didn't seize it. That would have been a bummer. :)

Pull it and inspect it - if its a big block pull the oil pump out to see whats up with it and check the drivegear. Maybe something simple. I'd still want to pull the thing apart to see if something got wiped. Sorry for the bad news -

sorry to hear that man.. that really really sucks. id have a cow if that happened to me

Who built the engine?

Superior Automotive....They will never touch my car again. The car leaked from the day I got it back and they refused to fix it propoerly among many other issues. I got burned. Typical place that is too busy to put the time in to make it right. We have a bunch of places like that in Orange County. All my work will be done in Riverside for now on by guys that care.

Well on the happy side at least you don't have to sit down and think about what you can do on your time off, and just think of all the experience you will be getting, and all the posts you can do telling us what went wrong, are you getting happy yet?

Hope you paid by a credit card, if so you might be able to dispute the charge.

But most times the shop will say no warranty but still 2 weeks ? If they did all the work-even install and break in-you have a good case against them.

Could take them to small claims court too-but they will say you should have shut the motor right off-don't you have an idiot light too when theres no oil pressure, a gauge moves slow, you should have both. The shop should have told you that too.

Have you talked to the shop yet? I wouldn't touch anything until I found out if they were going to make the right call and check it out. I would want to be there when they checked it too. I have seen so many times that shops are quick to brag about there service until it's something they did wrong and then it's time for them to try and wiggle out of any responsiblity. I sure hope everything works out for you. Try some antacid for the puking too:)

My buds a machinist .Before you jump the gun and point fingers find the cause. A builder cannot predict catastrophic failure of a defective part. like Toby said it could be an oil pump shaft. then the burden lies on you because lifters usually start ticking first on a pump failure. I know right now you want to blame someone but figure out where blame is due first. My machinist bud has had several motors come back thru the years and seldom is it his fault. Could he have prevented it ,yes if he made you pay top dollar and built everything with top of the line overkill parts. But then could the average guy like me build a motor,no,i,d have to settle for a crate motor.i really hope it turns out ok for you but investigate first and find out who,s willing to help. my bud usually eats all labor and just charges for parts in these situations which i think is more than fair. jmho

My buds a machinist .Before you jump the gun and point fingers find the cause. A builder cannot predict catastrophic failure of a defective part. like Toby said it could be an oil pump shaft. then the burden lies on you because lifters usually start ticking first on a pump failure. I know right now you want to blame someone but figure out where blame is due first. My machinist bud has had several motors come back thru the years and seldom is it his fault. Could he have prevented it ,yes if he made you pay top dollar and built everything with top of the line overkill parts. But then could the average guy like me build a motor,no,i,d have to settle for a crate motor.i really hope it turns out ok for you but investigate first and find out who,s willing to help. my bud usually eats all labor and just charges for parts in these situations which i think is more than fair. jmho

I never blamed the builder for the failure although I wouldn't be surprised if it is their fault. Maybe mine. Here's the story on this build and why I dont go back to this place.

I bought the car with a main seal leak and took it to these guys to fix. They said no way. Didnt want the repair work. I said to them, if I pay you to build my heads would you fix the seal and they said yes.
Once they got into the engine they told me it was trashed and needed a complete rebuild. $10k later I had them build and install a 450 HP stroker to fix all my problems. No chance. That's right 10k. I'm an idiot. Anyway.....
The car still leaked and after repeated tries they couldnt fix it. They even charged me another 600 bucks to replace the oil pan that was supposedly bad. Ridiculous.
Here's where it gets juicy. Remember I spent 10k on this build. No new wires or distributor or carb or anything. Just the short block, head work and install.
The starter made a clicking sound and barely turned over the engine. They caused it and couldnt fix it. Said I had to live with it.
The thing never ran right and I finally took it to a guy that knows how to tune a carb and he couldn't beleive the hack job they did. He fixed the leak, and tuned it better than ever with all new wires, carb and distributor. The car now sits at his shop for diagnose and hopefully just an oil pump......fingers crossed. Stay tuned. I may need help finding a good short block if it's jacked up.
By the way, I have a friend with a 250k shelby built by them with an oil leak. He gave up as well. Some people dont have the time or passion for small claims court and that is why some companies will take advantage of the ding bat like me that just wants to pay for good work.

Wow. Just wow. Good luck, man - keepin' my fingers crossed for ya...

I have to agree, if you have no oil pressure and a knocking noise, might as well jerk the engine and pull the pan, you have major problems.
SORRY

Don't forget to get some pics and post 'em up once the engines out/oil pan is down.

Your statement in regards to the starter not being able to turn the engine over after it was rebuilt is very disconcerting. A fresh engine will have more resistance than one with some run time, but it absolutely should not be so much that the engine won't turn over.

Let us know what you find.

Sue-Sue-Sue, they have it coming.

Might be more than small claims court but what the hey, you spent so much-strokers are $$$ but still, $10,000 it should have been done right.

I see your point now. for that price i think it should be over kill and golden. that much for a stroker is a crime.

-
Back