Gear Vendors in but big engine problems

-
I am still patiently waiting for my mechanic to get to give me some news on the damage. I am preparing for the worst and will probably just order the short block stroker from blueprintengines. it looks similar to what I have now.

Here's my question. I have been running the crane energizer cam with good success and driveabilty. 450HP This is a street car that I like to run hard. Any suggestions for a cam that would give me more mid range and top end? I dont really need it but if I'm going to do it why not go big. I run manual disc brakes so vaccum is not an issue. I dont want a cam that stalls at the light and struggles in traffic.

You should contact Muscle Motors in Lansing Michigan. Its a Mopar only shop and they did my heads last fall. Seems like they are great honest guys there and do great work. They have short block strokers. I hear great words from speedtalk about that shop too.

They won't screw you and they know all about Mopar motors and been around since the early 80's if not longer. Its the only shop I deal with-well its only a 1 hour drive for me too 8) but still. Its not a fancy building but they are were the pro racers go.

They-Eric-would pick a great cam for your motor too.

Well I got the report on the stroker and it looks like a complete break down is needed. The oil pump shaft broke and when it got burned out the front rod bearings. Now I need to figure out what to do. Lot's of options but I need it to be econimical. Hard to believe I just had this thing built.

:wack:

Sorry to hear the bad news. Was the oil pump shaft replaced during the build? If yes, any chance of having a metallurigical check done to see if the heat treat was correct or if a faulty part was installed. The blame for this can go all the way back to the manufacturer of the oil pump shaft.

you have to have a hardened shaft for a high volume oil pump,unless your gonna baby it.They will shear off everytime,lol

Sorry to hear the bad news. Was the oil pump shaft replaced during the build? If yes, any chance of having a metallurigical check done to see if the heat treat was correct or if a faulty part was installed. The blame for this can go all the way back to the manufacturer of the oil pump shaft.
I did not build this engine so I dont know what was used at this point. I paid Superior Automotive in Anaheim to do it. I will be making a call to them in the morning. Hopefully they will do the right thing and take care of me. I am willing to pay for something but not another overhaul at 10k.

I did not build this engine so I dont know what was used at this point.
You should still have the build sheet for your engine or the receipt with itemized components. If I were you I'd be making more noise that that blown engine did IF it shows they used a high-volume oil pump and a standard oil pump drive.

You guys got me freaked out now, when I had a shop pull my pan and unclog the pickup the guy put a high volume pump in without asking me about it, and didn't replace the drive shaft. Didn't think about it at the time. No more high rpms for the 318.
Bruce

Sorry to hear about the headache. I was contemplating between Superior and a place crackedback told me about Contemporary auto machine. I guess crackedbacked's place will be doing m engine now for sure.

Hope it works out for you!

Sorry to hear about the headache. I was contemplating between Superior and a place crackedback told me about Contemporary auto machine. I guess crackedbacked's place will be doing m engine now for sure.

Hope it works out for you!

You may want to check out Speed O Motive in covina. They actually won a contest on the 408 stroker they build. A buddy of mine has had some good success with them.

I spoke with Superior today and after some tap dancing they convinced me to bring it in for an autopsy. They also asked if I could pull the engine for them because they are so busy. I am going to pull the engine send it in and see what we get. At this point I am willing to pay for parts but think the labor to rebuild should be covered. Stay tuned.

This sucks!

As advised,take it up with some legal advise. There may be a new motor or at least cost of repairs in it.

People need to be held accountable for thier actions.

YOU are the victim here!

Document everything before you send that motor back. Have the shop that has it now take pictures and detail their findings. Once Superior gets their hands on the motor, all of the evidence becomes suspect. I would also refrain from stating how far you drove the car when the noise started. Not to be deceitful, but did you actually clock it ? It may not have been as far as you think and can't only hurt your case if you state otherwise.

You guys got me freaked out now, when I had a shop pull my pan and unclog the pickup the guy put a high volume pump in without asking me about it, and didn't replace the drive shaft. Didn't think about it at the time. No more high rpms for the 318.
Bruce

Oil pump drive shafts are easy to replace and hardened ones are relatively cheap. You can do it in your driveway pretty easily.

You may want to check out Speed O Motive in covina. They actually won a contest on the 408 stroker they build. A buddy of mine has had some good success with them.

I spoke with Superior today and after some tap dancing they convinced me to bring it in for an autopsy. They also asked if I could pull the engine for them because they are so busy. I am going to pull the engine send it in and see what we get. At this point I am willing to pay for parts but think the labor to rebuild should be covered. Stay tuned.

I think someone here had a problem with a Speed-O-Motive build but you know how that goes. You gotta hear both sides of the story.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Suggest you check out www.cederstrandracingengines.com in Brea.

OK I decided to pull the motor and take it back to Superior where it was built less than 3000 miles ago. I figured I would let them do the autopsy and tell me what it would take to get it back together. If they give me a number that is unreasonable I will take it to someone else for the build.
Anyway, when I brought it to them they immediatley jumped all over it with curriosity. I stood there as they took out the distributor and gear.....Gear broken and caused shaft to stop turning oil pump.
Here's my question. When they built the motor they did not replace that gear or intermediate shaft. I would think for 10k I would get a new gear. Any thoughts??? Here is the list of parts that were reused on Superiors rebuild .....remember I spent nearly 10k. and these parts were not replaced.
Did I get hosed or what?

Scat Crank
Energizer Cam
Eddy Heads and assemblies
Ross Pistons
Block
Pan
Intake
Water Pump
Carb
Distrubutor
Plugs
Wires
All hoses, wire, and belts.

So basically this was for machine work, assembly, rings and small misc. I didnt even get a dyno break in tune for that price. If I'm out of line here please let me know.

No, you are not out of line........they should make this right. At least, the labor involved in fixing it.

I think for the price you paid it should run......

I thought it was bad when Port Flow Development put short pushrods in my 440 and it trashed my Comp rockers. He gave me chinese junk to fill in until my Comps were fixed and then decided F me. He didn't even respond to the Better Business Bureau. Now I have to drive 50 miles to file in small claims court. You've got it so bad, sorry to hear it. If you need a good machine shop, M&R in Glendale did my 383 in one week, on budget and it never missed a beat. I would hot lap that thing in 95 degree heat at Palmdale. Couldn't break it. Cost me about 2 grand and it had about 450 horse. Good luck man.

very sad ,for 10,000 everything should be new ,and forged,and dynoed, if they are reputable at all they should definately supply labor if you provide parts ,this time i would buy all of my own parts and have them install them ,atleast you`ll know whats going in it , im building a 408 stroker i called jim at indy told him what i wanted, bought all of the parts,took them to a local good machine shop and they are assembling it at a very good price also,i know this engine will be right they built a big block for me a few years back a screamer.

If you're willing to farm work out which it sounds like you are, then you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than an MP crate motor. Especially since you said were able to pull the engine out yourself. You coulda bought the motor and a case of beer for you and your buddies to help get the thing in.

These are on Mancini Racing's webstore as I write:

402 Magnum Crate Engine - 435 Horsepower
$6,099.00
MOPP5153527

406 Magnum Crate Engine - 435 Horsepower Magnum Block
Regular price: $7,119.00
Sale price: $6,495.00
MOPP5153474

IN STOCK READY TO SHIP TODAY!

And if you really need that magic 450, I'd bet there's prolly another 15 ponies in each of these things. Just a thought.

Scat Crank
Energizer Cam
Eddy Heads and assemblies
Ross Pistons
Block
Pan
Intake
Water Pump
Carb
Distrubutor
Plugs
Wires
All hoses, wire, and belts..

Did you furnish all this stuff? What exactly did they furnish? The only things I see missing are rods and bearings and valve covers. If you supplied all this and they charged you 10k, I hope they kissed you at least once while they were tapping it.......

-
Back