Gen 3 426 into aussie a body

-

barneynitrous

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking at the potential of installing an all allow 426 Gen 3 into my Aussie A body Charger. I have some concerns though and would appreciate any persons valued advice, Is there enough room without fouling anything major, i.e. the heads are they larger will they foul the brake booster. What mods will I have to do to my existing K-frame which is a 6 cylinder type?, can I run rack and pinion steering ?, because I would like to?
At this stage I am a bit green to the Gen 3 motors.
I am a fitter by trade and have worked as a welder in the past so I can fabricate and modify but would prefer within reason a straight forward installation (Yes I appreciate there probably is no such thing).
Look forward to your feedback.
Regards Scotty (Barneynitrous)

I'm not too familiar with Aussie Chargers but if the K frame is the same as an American A body, there is mounts available (Schumacher). Does the Aussie six mount the same as a slant on the K frame? I'd love to have one of your Chargers. Really nice looking cars

I'm not too familiar with Aussie Chargers but if the K frame is the same as an American A body, there is mounts available (Schumacher). Does the Aussie six mount the same as a slant on the K frame? I'd love to have one of your Chargers. Really nice looking cars

No the Hemi 6 D motor had its own unique K frame pedestal mounting positions - different to the small block and slant 6.

Hi all, I am looking at the potential of installing an all allow 426 Gen 3 into my Aussie A body Charger. I have some concerns though and would appreciate any persons valued advice, Is there enough room without fouling anything major, i.e. the heads are they larger will they foul the brake booster. What mods will I have to do to my existing K-frame which is a 6 cylinder type?, can I run rack and pinion steering ?, because I would like to?
At this stage I am a bit green to the Gen 3 motors.
I am a fitter by trade and have worked as a welder in the past so I can fabricate and modify but would prefer within reason a straight forward installation (Yes I appreciate there probably is no such thing).
Look forward to your feedback.
Regards Scotty (Barneynitrous)

Scotty - with all due respect - this is a US forum and most of the guys on here wont have a clue about engine bay clearances in our Aussie A bodies.

Even the Aussie members like me may not know too much about fitting in a Gen3 426....as they are a rare commodity in Aus and most find there way into US platforms like Challys and US Chargers.

I would recommend you call Elko Valiant Spares in Melbourne - they've done more of these conversions than anyone - ask for Paul.

Maybe theres a lurker on here who's done it in a Duster which has similar dimensions - but even our K frame is offset in the wrong direction...so advice on steering clearances wont be provable.

The issue is the Gen 3 426 has very different dimensions to the Gen 3 5.7/6.1/6.4.

Here's what I can confirm -

I had to re-position the brake booster AND run the smaller Hemi 6 booster to get adequate clearance for my #6 and 8 coil packs for my 6.1 - so Im betting a 426 will really cramp your brakes cylinder.

Id suggest a remote booster under the guard.

I know Valiant Spares used a Hemi 6 K frame for a 6.1 conversion as it set the motor lower at the front than the small block one - again a good reason to call them.

Here is an option for your GEN 3 powered , RHD A body .
steel is lazer cut , and it's all tig welded in jigs .

Attachments

• P1020762.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 439
Gen 3 426 is just a stroked out 5.7/6.1 as far as I know so installation should be the same. I would assume just fabricate your own mounts to suit the Hemi 6 crossmember, figure on some degree of brake master cylinder relocation, there are a few options and you will need to fabricate some headers to suit whatever steering configuration you decide on. This all a semi-educated guess rather than first hand experience. Still collecting parts for my swap.

There are quite a few Aussie swaps done or in progress and if you look at Rat Patrol's build thread you should be off to a good start.

Oh, and Mo-cars, do you have more details on the k-frame setup you posted, looks nice?

What about the right side steering and the headers? The US headers are made for a left side steering box.

Rat patrol-

A gen 3 426 is nothing more than a 6.1 with a stroker kit. You're the guy as far as fitment goes for Aussie stuff.

A gen 2 426 is different. It's the 'elephant' motor from the 60's. That's not what he's asking about.

Oh, and Mo-cars, do you have more details on the k-frame setup you posted, looks nice?

When making my own mounts I thought others might be interested .
So, long story short , I am now able to accuratley reproduce what you see here .

It puts the engine in the center of the bay , but there is also around an inch of adjustability , left-right , front-rear .
when centered the oil filter clears the k member , and the alt clears the frame rail .
It works with manual steering box or cradle mount rack .

Attachments

• P1020749.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 399
So, long story short , I am now able to accuratley reproduce what you see here .

It puts the engine in the center of the bay , but there is also around an inch of adjustability , left-right , front-rear .
when centered the oil filter clears the k member , and the alt clears the frame rail .
Just to correct you here, the engine is not in the center of the engine bay. It is angled across the engine bay. To properly centre it you will need to cut the trans tunnel and also move the transmission over. Then change your diff center location if you want to keep everything in alignment.

I'd contact Al Kamhi at Control Freak suspensions (www.freakride.com). They make a right hand drive coil over suspension/K frame system that I have on one, and soon to be a second car. Using their system could make the swap much easier and shave 150-200 pounds in the process.

that is some nice fab work.

where does the steering box mount?

I'm shipping my third K-frame /rack and pinion/coil over conversion to Australia tomorrow. I use a manual Omni rear steer rack and flip it upside down and locate it as a front steer....works great and is very compact. The shipping is the killer!

I struggle with the same thing on the engine mounts....I need reverse versions to offset the motor to the left...not right as our US conversions require. The RH drives I have done so far have used motor plates.

I'd contact Al Kamhi at Control Freak suspensions (www.freakride.com). They make a right hand drive coil over suspension/K frame system that I have on one, and soon to be a second car. Using their system could make the swap much easier and shave 150-200 pounds in the process.

I weighed a COMPLETE factory K-frame, upper and lower control arms, manual steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, drag link, torsion bars, factory shocks, and ball joints.....the whole thing weighed appox 120lbs....how can they claim a 150-200lb savings?? .....just wonderin'

I forgot to mention that the Control Freak setup eliminates the stock steering box for a rack and pinion system. I understand the steering box clearance is big issue on the right hand drive Aussie Mopars. I too would live to have one of the Chrysler Chargers. They are a great looking car.

I weighed a COMPLETE factory K-frame, upper and lower control arms, manual steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, drag link, torsion bars, factory shocks, and ball joints.....the whole thing weighed appox 120lbs....how can they claim a 150-200lb savings?? .....just wonderin'

That's their spec, not mine. Having lifted both of them, the B body Control Freak was definitely lighter than the stock big block pieces I took off. I am very pleased with improved handling and steering response. The suspension is easier to adjust with the coil overs, and I like the 1-1 1/2 inch drop the Mustang II spindles provide. No insult to your setup. I was just pleased with their system.

That's their spec, not mine. Having lifted both of them, the B body Control Freak was definitely lighter than the stock big block pieces I took off. I am very pleased with improved handling and steering response. The suspension is easier to adjust with the coil overs, and I like the 1-1 1/2 inch drop the Mustang II spindles provide. No insult to your setup. I was just pleased with their system.

none taken.....I just can't wrap my head around THIER claim of a 150-200 lb savings when the EVERYTHING you take off (manual steer / A-body) only weighs 120lbs....I weighed it myself.

as far as how it looks and works...like the RMS, it hear / read that it is a great set-up.

I think most aftermarket K-Frames state a weight savings of 70 to 80 pounds, if you combine that with the 70-80 pound savings of a Gen III Hemi over an LA or Magnum motor you are in the 150 pound range.

Is 150 Pounds off the front end an unreasonable estimate of the weight savings? Perhaps, but I bet 100 pounds off the front end is doable.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The issue is the Gen 3 426 has very different dimensions to the Gen 3 5.7/6.1/6.4.[/QUO

The 5.7 6.1 6.4 Stroked to Gen 3 426 should have all the same physical dimensions. The Gen 3 hemi's are approx 4 inches wider than a big Block wedge engine (head to head OD). so there is going to be some fiddling. Quite a few aussies have done it so I would follow their advice.

Sorry folks - but I had a reason for saying what I did -

A Gen 3 426 refers to the last series of crate 426 motors released by MP - at least that is the context Ive seen the term used in on both the LX and Moparts forums - .which is why I said advice would be limited.

If the OP means a stroked 6.1... Then obviously he's come to the right place :)

So heres my 2c -

The Hemi 6 K frame can be used - it helps lower the mounting position of the motor which is a + , but the pedestals require modification if you use the biscuit type TTI adapters.

The TTI adapters are rubbish and need some work to seat the motor low enough at the front if using a V8 K frame.

The other option is to bash the crap out of your tunnel and centre the motor - in some ways this is the better option....you'll still need to modify the TTI mounts if you use them.

Use a Jeep SRT alternator (Rock auto is a good source).... They bolt up to the car timing cover but in a different location that provides more inner guard clearance.

AFAIK no aftermarket or factory headers will slip past our steering box - so decide if you want long or short tube and be ready to re-fab your right side exhaust.

Rack and Pinion doesnt seem to get you out of trouble....I know of two Aussie Hardtop (Dart) conversions using R&P and both still had to use fabricated headers.

You will also have to move the right side brake booster for both manifold and valve cover clearance - some use the Elko booster bracket and 6 cyl booster.....others run a remote under the guard.

And engine bay hood clearance will also be at a premium if you go the carb route.

You'll also be safer running a remote filter system than trying to chop the K frame and use a Dakota oil filter mount and stubby filter.

Sorry folks - but I had a reason for saying what I did -

A Gen 3 426 refers to the last series of crate 426 motors released by MP - at least that is the context Ive seen the term used in on both the LX and Moparts forums - .which is why I said advice would be limited.

If the OP means a stroked 6.1... Then obviously he's come to the right place :)

The Gen 3 426 is a crate engine released my MP and it is based on the 5.7 / 6.1 engines.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1203_horsepower_426_hemi_crate_engine/

[ame]http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/performance/catalog/Hemi_Gen_III.pdf[/ame]

-
Back