Getting lower pulley to bolt to dampener?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I’ll tell you what everyone. When you are learning how to do everything on your car wow is there a lot of roadblocks and stumbles. So I’m trying do something very simple. Just bolt my lower pulley to my dampener so that I can run my alternator. Well I can’t find the bolts that originally held the pulley on. So I though I’ll just go down to my local true value and buy correct size bolts. Well after two sets of bolts I still can’t get the pulley to seat correct because when I put the dampener back on I’m sure it had these spacer washers on it. Well they prevent me from being able to get a socket far enough on the bolt to really get it tight. Is there a special bolt head that is used or is one of the large washers incorrect?

2E3A6688-F4EE-41F7-A17A-4B1A3D7EB70F.jpeg

10FEB4D3-7D3C-49A8-A95A-EFD9A1E25977.jpeg

Don't quote me but didn't Ma Mopar use 7/16 headed bolts? Almost like header bolts? @oldkimmer

I was also possibly thinking instead of taking the dampener bolt out to remove one of the washers I could use a header type bolt. I was looking at the ones I have but the size of the threaded portion is one size too big. If I could find a header type bolt the size of the holes it would work.

Washer keeps the bolt head out far enough so you can keep the socket on it
upload_2020-6-10_13-25-21.jpeg

When buying "hardware store" fasteners for your car, try to find at least grade "8" rated bolts. You are not working on a BBQ ....

-
Back