Getting Transmission Rebuilt

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
As much as I would like to rebuild it myself, I decided to take the Scamp in to get the transmission rebuilt next week. It has the 904 with the 318.

Is there anything specific to ask or watch out for? Specific shift kits and maybe a new stall converter? I know it should match the cam but I might not get the motor rebuilt for a while. So is it better to stick with the stock one for now or put a new one in with stock specs? They mentioned maybe a mild one that is 2200.

I asked them about putting a new rear main seal on the engine. They asked what type I had but I wasn't sure. They said there was one kind that wasn't the best and if it was that they couldn't guarantee the seal.

Thanks for all the input

I'd recommend the following :

-Trans-Go shift-improver ;
-Extra-capacity oil pan , with drain plug ;
-Either Type-F fluid or Lucas Sure-Shift

*Optional*
Low Gear-set ( 999 trans )

I always recommend -- indeed assert -- the need for a Trans-Go kit , for the simple reason that their kits / parts are made specifically for the subjective transmission(s) ; they're not a "modified" version of a TurboHydro-designed kit .

Can you pull it and install it? There's a guy in Hemet that is REALLY good and not real expensive. He build lots of stuff for the local mopar people.

He might be able to pull it and install.

Put a TF2 shift kit in it.

on the rear main seal...neoprene...

if i spelled it......and since they gotta drop pain...new oil pan gasket and end seals on pan...

I'd recommend the following :

-Trans-Go shift-improver ;
-Extra-capacity oil pan , with drain plug ;
-Either Type-F fluid or Lucas Sure-Shift

*Optional*
Low Gear-set ( 999 trans )

I always recommend -- indeed assert -- the need for a Trans-Go kit , for the simple reason that their kits / parts are made specifically for the subjective transmission(s) ; they're not a "modified" version of a TurboHydro-designed kit .

Thanks I will check into those.

Can you pull it and install it? There's a guy in Hemet that is REALLY good and not real expensive. He build lots of stuff for the local mopar people.

He might be able to pull it and install.

Put a TF2 shift kit in it.

I could but would want to have someone around helping. I've been quoted around $1500 with decent parts (includes them removing and installing).

Then around $2000+ for even better parts with kevlar bands. I'm on a budget but want to have the trans built right to handle the engine later when I get that rebuilt and upgraded.

on the rear main seal...neoprene...

if i spelled it......and since they gotta drop pain...new oil pan gasket and end seals on pan...

Thanks, the engine pan? Is it pretty simple to do this myself later with the transmission in?

I could but would want to have someone around helping. I've been quoted around $1500 with decent parts (includes them removing and installing).

Then around $2000+ for even better parts with kevlar bands. I'm on a budget but want to have the trans built right to handle the engine later when I get that rebuilt and upgraded.
Sounds a little expensive.I had my 904 built for racing....red racing belts,blue clutches,lower first gear,changed out the drum,manual valve body all for $750 ready to race.I,d take Rob,s(Crackedback)advise and get someone Mopar friendly that won,t take you for a ride $$$.You,ll like the Trans-Go 2 kit.Good luck.

Sounds a little expensive.I had my 904 built for racing....red racing belts,blue clutches,lower first gear,changed out the drum,manual valve body all for $750 ready to race.I,d take Rob,s(Crackedback)advise and get someone Mopar friendly that won,t take you for a ride $$$.You,ll like the Trans-Go 2 kit.Good luck.

Wow thats pretty good. Yeah it would be good to find someone Mopar friendly as he mentioned. I have mine scheduled to go in next week but open to any other options.

i think thats steep 2000$ even 1500$ lets see new trans kit 175.00 with new bands kevlar at that ....trans shift kit say 150.00 converter 2200 which is a /6 truck converter maybe 100.00 .... i just bought a 3500 for 297.00 new street strip. drives normal till the foot does its work .... no sense making some one rich over a trans .... i bench build them for a couple hundred ... mopars are expensive enough as is ....

I can get my 03 Dodge Ram trans with overdrive rebuilt and installed for $1500 maybe even a tad bit cheaper. I believe I would shop around some and get a better price.

Sent you a PM with the contact info for the guy in Hemet.

How about the torque converter?

I might not re-build the engine for another year or two and it will be even longer by the time I get the rear end gears done.

Most cams obviously have specific specs for these two. The ones that interest me require a 2200+ to 2500+ stall.

Is it better to leave my stock torque converter in there until I get all those other things done?

Thanks again everyone for suggestions on this.

I was thinking about removing and installing it to save money. We have a lift, so, I was thinking about getting a transmission jack.

If I were to do this on the lift, what would be the best steps?

Unbolt uppers then lift the car up and unbolt the lower ones? Will the engine want to tilt back a lot since the tranny isn't supporting it? Someone mentioned putting a strap from the front to hold the engine from tilting back.

Would I need to remove and unbolt that large crossmember support near the back of the transmission to get it out?

Thanks for all the help on this

yes...you will need to remove the trans x member...

and yes..you need to support the rear of the engine once the trans is out.

I would remove and install it myself if I was you.

I have a 904/318 combo in my 72 duster and myself and my father removed the tranny in under 15 minutes. mind you this was on a garage floor laying on our backs with the duster suspended by jack stands.......If I had a hoist I would not second guess doing the removal/install myself!!!

get a buddy to come over and share a 6 pack with you, pick up a tranny stand,raise that puppy in the air,spend a few minutes unhooking lines and driveshaft and zapping bell bolts, spin the crank over a few times to undo the converter bolts and pop it out of there.

its realy not that tough to do.

then farm the rebuild work out to a good tranny guy who is familiar with mopars and shop around for one that does good work at a good price.

for example there is a guy here in my town who is known for building the baddest of the baddest chevy transmissions but he is also known for building a few junk mopar trannys because he is not use to building them.

good luck either way.

a 2500 stall is a good stall if you planning on building a mild build......maybe around 300-350 hp with a mild cam thats not to lumpy. things like tire size,rear gearing and what not come into play also but from what it sounds like I think a 2500 would probably suit you well.

When my 904 went bad I had it done for 900.00 here in Florida at Arnolds Transmission. That price included them pulling it, rebuilding it and putting it back in.8)

I would remove and install it myself if I was you.

I have a 904/318 combo in my 72 duster and myself and my father removed the tranny in under 15 minutes. mind you this was on a garage floor laying on our backs with the duster suspended by jack stands.......If I had a hoist I would not second guess doing the removal/install myself!!!

get a buddy to come over and share a 6 pack with you, pick up a tranny stand,raise that puppy in the air,spend a few minutes unhooking lines and driveshaft and zapping bell bolts, spin the crank over a few times to undo the converter bolts and pop it out of there.

its realy not that tough to do.

then farm the rebuild work out to a good tranny guy who is familiar with mopars and shop around for one that does good work at a good price.

for example there is a guy here in my town who is known for building the baddest of the baddest chevy transmissions but he is also known for building a few junk mopar trannys because he is not use to building them.

good luck either way.

a 2500 stall is a good stall if you planning on building a mild build......maybe around 300-350 hp with a mild cam thats not to lumpy. things like tire size,rear gearing and what not come into play also but from what it sounds like I think a 2500 would probably suit you well.

Thanks. Yeah I talked to the local Mopar trans guy that Rob mentioned. So I may try this.

I might just pull the motor and trans out. I still need to paint the engine bay, replace the motor mounts, and fix some things on the engine.

-
Back