Glass removal

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks to pull windshields and back glasses. Would heating the rubber with a heat gun make it more pliable. Would really like to reuse if possible so want to avoid tearing. Lay the tricks of the trade on me. thanks, DD

yes, heating the rubber would be best. that is why i like to do any windsheilds or back glass in the summer time. in this cold, i do not know if you will be able to get the glass out without breaking either glass or seal. good luck

I have been asking more knowledgeable members the same thing and I am told that a head gun or a hair drier (ON MAX and in a warm garage) is the thing to do. Don't forget the lock strip in the centre of the rubber seal. Two people are needed to apply equal pressure without breaking the glass. For what it is worth, I hope this helps.

It's really according to the condition of the rubber, kind of new, old, hard etc...

I had to cut the back glass out of my cuda. I wasn't really trying to save the rubber but I HAD to cut it out. My boss and I found that it was the stock rubber and it was extremely hard!!

Both of my old gaskets, think they were originals, had to be cut. Car spent its life in the desert sun.....and I still think a bfh is the way to go....

on the old valiants-- never had a problem with 1 person-- getting out the glass & seals-- heat is your friend--- I did this in the fall on 80 degree days.

get some wood shims from your local hardware stores,

have a new razor blade to cut the sealant/goop that is virtually bonded to glass & seal
remove lockstrip
run razor blade all the way around the glass/gasket lip area-- do this both on the inside & outside.
start on the upper side, slide the shim between the glass & gasket-- once you can slide it through-- your golden, use 2/3 shims-- whatever it takes to wedge the glass loose from the gasket-- once you have a start follow that direction wedging a shim & seperating the gasket/glass.
when you get 1 upper corner loose the glass will start coming out quicker.
get both top corners loose & pull the glass free.

use constant pressure / if you use metal you can crack the glass quickly
Lawrence

Both of my old gaskets, think they were originals, had to be cut. Car spent its life in the desert sun.....and I still think a bfh is the way to go....

I don't think you would want to do that to the back glass of a 67 cuda. I tried for about a week to find a NEW back glass for mine and I couldn't find one. My boss (owns a auto glass center) looked everywhere under the sun and couldn't find me one. I had to install my old one back in. My boss said even if I found one it would be $800 or more..... that's new of course.

What car are you removing the glass from Pete?This might help with answers on how to remove.Just sayin..

A guitar string is your friend and so is the other friend on the other end :drinkers:
Along with the advice above :thumbrig:

I have put a few in with the twine but havent succesfully pulled many. Its the wifes 69 notch

I use plastic tools to lift the gasket from the glass. The sealant will slowly seperate but it will bond right back too in most cases. Spray silicone lubricant will prevent that.
Once I get the gasket loose all the way around inside and out 2 or 4 feet against the upper inside of the glass and push slowly and evenly.
To be honest, cracking the front glass can be a hidden blessing. A new and clear front glass makes the results much more satisfying and worth the effort when complete.
I spend many hours with plastic tools and charcoal starter fluid and rags cleaning the original gaskets for reuse.
Extra time, money, and labor went into replacing the vent box seals, wiper pivot seals, etc.. But aAll the more satisfying results. Inside of my 67 stays bone dry.

-
Back