Glenwood Iowa Track

-

daredude

Reaction score
Go by there on I29 to see my son & grandchildren in Papio. Looks like a decent facility. Still miss CORNHUSKER though!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I got name right? Its south of Council Bluffs?

I grew up in papillion and moved to millard about 1973. you could hear the cars from the house at cornhusker drag strip. they shut it down shortly there after. way before i was old enough to drive. after i got my license I spent every day i could on Dodge street doing battle from stop lights.

are you talking about Mid american motorplex? in Pacific Junction ?
i havent been there yet but i will this year

not sure of the name of the track in Glenwood IA, but cornhusker dragway was in Millard,on hwy. 50, suburb of Omaha.

see you there soon Belv.
hows the track?
how often do they spray it ?

My car's only run a 7.60 so far, 1.68 60' times, I'm probably a little less critical of the track condition but I've found that when I have traction problems so do many of the other cars.

Lots of complaints so far this year about water on the track, brought out of the burnout box by previous cars, but the claim is it's been so cool that the track isn't hot enough to rid itself--this hasn't been a problem in the heat of summer so hopefully it's a "seasonal thing".

Spray seems to be intermittent, to answer your question as directly as I believe the case to be, but on occasion they run quick 16 races and I think the faster cars produce complaints from the drivers (or the track is just better at anticipating the issue.

See you there, I usually pit by the timing shack with a bunch of other Mopar racers, a '73 (IIRC) Duster, '69 Dodge truck, 90's Dakota, Lil' Red Xpress, one day again maybe a white Duster, maybe the '63 Plymouth B-body wagon will run a couple times, too. Yellow Demon won Sportsman two years ago, last year the new owner runner-up'd in it then he sold it and bought the '63. We're missing the '68 Dart that has won Pro in the past, don't know if he'll be back this year or not.

B II

Here'a a little stroll down memory lane.. this place is across Hwy. 50 from my neighborhood. Now used by Watkins Block, Omni E Engineering asphalt paving, and a lot of other industries. can't remember if the concession stand is still there, I think it finally got demolished a few years back.

Cornhusker Dragway. 3 pages worth.
http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=38185
Google rsults...
http://www.google.com/search?q=corn...ct=mode&cd=1&ved=0CC4Q_AUoAA&biw=1334&bih=563

It had closed about a year before I moved into the area. Just my luck.

The "other" track up in Irvington was Flightland. Still an airport, I worked for the company that did the grading when it was enlarged.
The Nebraska Mororplex (Scribner) closed years ago but their website is still up, although not updated for many years. Trapped in internet limbo.
http://www.nemotorplex.com/home.html

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/rt_default.asp

The Mid America Motorplex is going to run again this season thank God! The first 3 months schedule has been posted on their website and Facebook page. My Friend Doug and I are regulars there, both of us are hard core Mopar nuts, but as luck has it neither of our cars are ready to beat on yet.
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/pdf/2012/Drag_schedule_2012.pdf

I'm going to put a shaft loop on my 99 Dakota R/T just so I can run something down the strip without destroying my street tires.

Safer than my old stomping grounds.. the Abbot Drive nationals, the Dodge Street Motorplex, Storz Expressway weekend meets.. or 120th Street north of Fort... I was young and dumb once!

Ill be down there with my 06 Charger this year (got it finished and ready last year and then got deployed 2 days before the track opened) We have a modern Mopar club that comes out on test and tune nights...a couple pretty cool cars including a Omni GLHS that runs 10 sec 1/4 miles.

Alan - you gotta finish up that 69 man!!!

Belvedere II - ill be by the Autohobby shop sometime tomorrow on the radiator...

-Jake

After i got my license I spent every day i could on Dodge street doing battle from stop lights.

LOL! I lived in Des Moines in the '60s and '70s. I used to race at Blair and spectate at Cornhusker.

There were bumper stickers on some of the cars I saw in Omaha that said: "DODGE STREET RACING ASSOCIATION."

Not living there, at the time, I didn't know there was a "Dodge Street."

I thought the bumper stickers were for people who owned Dodges and this was their street racing club!:D

No kidding...

Dodge STREET RACING association.... get it?

I thought, HOW COOL!!! :cheers:

How stupid of me...

Jake, my work truck swallowed almost 9 grand in repairs since mid-December... I'll be lucky if work even gets re-started on the Valiant this year.. and it's got a loooong way to go til it's done.
We'll see....

Alan

Jake, my work truck swallowed almost 9 grand in repairs since mid-December... I'll be lucky if work even gets re-started on the Valiant this year.. and it's got a loooong way to go til it's done.
We'll see....

Alan
Alan,
I street raced dodge st every weekend. That place was a blast! also ran up and down Q st pretty much every night.

We'll see....

Alan

Keep pluggin' away on that Valiant Alan. Haven't talked to you since I came down from Sioux City for some 66 Dart parts you had in your storage garage. lol Mike

Love that race track, broke the trans there, and WILL be there with both of my Cuda's this year, going run em like i stole em!

Vitamin C... what did you have back in the day? I had a 70 Duster named the Flying Tuna... then a 72 Gold Duster.. a red/white/ balck hooded 73 340 Dart Sport... an orange Volare Road Runner, then a black Aspen R/T with DIRECT CONNECTION on the quarters.. I was down on Dodge from 1979 until it died. RIP, cheap fun.

Hey Mike, if ya' know anybody that needs doors, hood or trunk lid, or tail lites for a 66 dart I still have all that stuff..glad to see you are still around!
Alan

Vitamin C... what did you have back in the day? I had a 70 Duster named the Flying Tuna... then a 72 Gold Duster.. a red/white/ balck hooded 73 340 Dart Sport... an orange Volare Road Runner, then a black Aspen R/T with DIRECT CONNECTION on the quarters.. I was down on Dodge from 1979 until it died. RIP, cheap fun.

Alan,
I had a blue 67 326 firebird. Tremendous dog, but that was before i could "see the light". I never had it on a track but i would guess it was a mid 13 second car on a good day. The Omaha World-Herald ran a good article 0n october 16 2011 in the living section about Dodge street in the 80's. Maybe someone here knows how to look up the Herald and scan and post. I have the article right here that my sister sent to me. I would have to say Dodge st was one of the coolist places back in the day.

I ran there for about 3 years off and on.I ran a 69 dart then a 88 mustang with a SB mopar.

Attachments

• DSC_3692wtmk[2].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 106-0671_IMG.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 258
I wanted a Fox body to run in a stock suspension class when I moved to North Dakota.The car worked good but got hasseled too much for running a mopar in a Ford.But I told them Ford guys that it was better than having a SB Chevy in it.
After words I bought new wheels for it.

Attachments

• 108-0803_IMG.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 107-0800_IMG.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 213
Hey, if it works... pretty cheap to buy and they undeniably work as race cars very well! I wish I'd seen it run.. any underhood pics?

Saw a low buck version at KCIR years ago at a Mopar show.. 79 with a FORDS SUCK sticker on it.. I thought WTF? Went and looked and it had a 361BB under the hood.. plenty of room, it used E body headers to make it fit. Guy had the body with a dead -6 and a 62 Dodge with a rotten body... wasn't fast but it worked!

-
Back