Glidden Arrow

-
Chrysler was almost belly up at that time, no money for Bob.
I’ll add, he cut up and welded back a sbc intake to fit the W2s, before Eldebrock made one like it. He said the engine wouldn’t fall out of a tree untill he changed those lifter angles! My question WHY didn’t Chrysler incorporate that in the new R block? Plus special cans had to be made to use those angles (spread out too). A true ‘hot Rodder’ he MADE what he needed to work!
The lifter angle I never understood. As the engine was built for basic passenger service, it’s not a big deal at all. For racing, now we have problems.

Why they did not correct it from the get to is probably due to the population in modifying there cars and not getting into major surgery to do it and just use the available cams.

Later on when the race blocks did come with the corrected lifter angles, cam prices went into outer space and since a core is around $300, then shipping to you, then shipping to a grinder to have this specialty cam ground to your specs, a thing few of us can do is know exactly what to have ground on the lord, then pay to have it shipped back to you….. dang that’s an expensive camshaft! A price many are not willing to pay for just the cam.

A lot of what they did back on the engine when it was first designed was never thought of a a racing engine because such things were not on the radar or even dream world. U h of the advice of the factory was use the big block to go racing.

The lifter angle I never understood. As the engine was built for basic passenger service, it’s not a big deal at all. For racing, now we have problems.

Why they did not correct it from the get to is probably due to the population in modifying there cars and not getting into major surgery to do it and just use the available cams.

Later on when the race blocks did come with the corrected lifter angles, cam prices went into outer space and since a core is around $300, then shipping to you, then shipping to a grinder to have this specialty cam ground to your specs, a thing few of us can do is know exactly what to have ground on the lord, then pay to have it shipped back to you….. dang that’s an expensive camshaft! A price many are not willing to pay for just the cam.

A lot of what they did back on the engine when it was first designed was never thought of a a racing engine because such things were not on the radar or even dream world. U h of the advice of the factory was use the big block to go racing.
The block was designed for the splayed valve poly-sphere head, they just made a head that would fit existing blocks, to bad the angle was off! They had to come up with new cams anyway, the poly is like the Hemi, in ex in ex in ex in ex, LA is ex in in ex ex in in ex.

The block was designed for the splayed valve poly-sphere head, they just made a head that would fit existing blocks, to bad the angle was off! They had to come up with new cams anyway, the poly is like the Hemi, in ex in ex in ex in ex, LA is ex in in ex ex in in ex.
While all that was happening, Charley Malyuke and Gary Ostrich were working on a small cube (383 block based) Hemi headed pro stock engine. And here we go. The 383 based Hemi was in the Arrow I posted a photo of above. (from what I understand) Just for fun, here is a story from a friend of them both and a few photos of their first modification of that 383 to make it happen. Remember. a 383 had a shorter stroke than a 350 Chevy. Go pound sand Chevy boys! LMAO

""""" I had a friend in Des Moines, who was a talented machinist, named Charlie Malyuke. Charlie was one of those guys who said "Why not?" when an engineering challenge was presented to him. He was also a hard-core Modified Eliminator drag racer who liked Chrysler Hemis, having worked hand-in-hand with Gary Ostrich in Gary's shop when they were building engines on contract for the Chrysler Corporation "factory" racers like Sox and Martin, Richard Petty, etc...

Charlie and John Hagen were friends. Charlie was building a Plymouth Arrow Pro Stocker and wanted to run a Chrysler Hemi in it, but decided to adapt the Hemi heads to the shorter-deck 383 wedge block to gain the advantages of a shorter stroke, lighter reciprocating parts, smaller physical size, and lighter overall weight.

Charlie sold one of the blocks, so modified, to John, and John proceeded to set the NHRA mph record for Pro Stock with it. Also, he was runner-up to Lee Shepard in a very close final-round race at the last Pomona race (World Finals) that would feature "small" motors in Pro Stock. The engine had less than a year's R & D time on it... would have been a really formidable contender the next year, if the rules hadn't changed.

Canadian Wally Dyck also bought one of these 383 Hemis from Charlie and set the A/D record with it, and may have re-set it later.... not too sure about that, but I remember him holding that national record for a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted people to know that John was a thinker and someone who didn't follow the crowd; his little 383 Hemi showed him to be an individual who wasn't averse to trying new things, and making them work.""""""

E1C02F77-2F26-4F42-8FC0-413A9939148F.jpeg

07DB471D-ED67-4AB6-AA4B-D5EAD762D4CF.jpeg

13FB4710-CD16-4951-9E16-EAE6835BA439.jpeg

image0-3.jpg

image11.jpg

While all that was happening, Charley Malyuke and Gary Ostrich were working on a small cube (383 block based) Hemi headed pro stock engine. And here we go. The 383 based Hemi was in the Arrow I posted a photo of above. (from what I understand) Just for fun, here is a story from a friend of them both and a few photos of their first modification of that 383 to make it happen. Remember. a 383 had a shorter stroke than a 350 Chevy. Go pound sand Chevy boys! LMAO

""""" I had a friend in Des Moines, who was a talented machinist, named Charlie Malyuke. Charlie was one of those guys who said "Why not?" when an engineering challenge was presented to him. He was also a hard-core Modified Eliminator drag racer who liked Chrysler Hemis, having worked hand-in-hand with Gary Ostrich in Gary's shop when they were building engines on contract for the Chrysler Corporation "factory" racers like Sox and Martin, Richard Petty, etc...

Charlie and John Hagen were friends. Charlie was building a Plymouth Arrow Pro Stocker and wanted to run a Chrysler Hemi in it, but decided to adapt the Hemi heads to the shorter-deck 383 wedge block to gain the advantages of a shorter stroke, lighter reciprocating parts, smaller physical size, and lighter overall weight.

Charlie sold one of the blocks, so modified, to John, and John proceeded to set the NHRA mph record for Pro Stock with it. Also, he was runner-up to Lee Shepard in a very close final-round race at the last Pomona race (World Finals) that would feature "small" motors in Pro Stock. The engine had less than a year's R & D time on it... would have been a really formidable contender the next year, if the rules hadn't changed.

Canadian Wally Dyck also bought one of these 383 Hemis from Charlie and set the A/D record with it, and may have re-set it later.... not too sure about that, but I remember him holding that national record for a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted people to know that John was a thinker and someone who didn't follow the crowd; his little 383 Hemi showed him to be an individual who wasn't averse to trying new things, and making them work.""""""

View attachment 1716165385

View attachment 1716165386

View attachment 1716165387

View attachment 1716165388

View attachment 1716165389
Leave it to the innovative racers to make stuff work. The Hemi was created for NASCAR (426 ci max) and nothing else.

Leave it to the innovative racers to make stuff work. The Hemi was created for NASCAR (426 ci max) and nothing else.
Until a couple guys from Iowa doing experimental work for Chrysler Corp. started thinking about "what if". You know Radar (Roger Luchtenburg) worked for Gary and was a pioneer of the B1 cylinder heads. Those guys were masters and fun to know.

Gary Ostrich was a early Super Stock racer and I bet his Dad's Mopar dealership got him started and in good graces with Ma Mopar.

gary ostrich 2.jpg

View attachment 1716165385

View attachment 1716165386

View attachment 1716165387

View attachment 1716165388

View attachment 1716165389
Check out that left oil pan rail. All nothced out. Windage purposes, I presume.

View attachment 1716163435

Extra engine parts. These are W2s that don't look like garden-variety W2s. All the angles were changed. He must have loved the 59º deal. It's crazy what he was doing to these things.
View attachment 1716163436

You could put your fist in these ports. All sorts of epoxy inside.
View attachment 1716163437

The exhaust ports are about the only way you would recognize these as W2s.
View attachment 1716163438

Not sure what "DRE" was? D-something Racing Ent.?
View attachment 1716163439

The valve pockets are wild.
View attachment 1716163440

These were kinda heavy actually, I was surprised. Stock stroke stuff the pin bore is so much farther down than stroker pistons.
View attachment 1716163442
What is the CSA of those ports...they look massive

I got to know Clyde Hodges pretty well right after Don Carlton passed away July 5, 1977. I saw him grind a B block and weld in the extra headbolt bosses taken from a blown up Hemi block. I don't know what bore and stroke they ran but he called it a 396. He said it was absolutely the best running engine they ever ran.

I got to know Clyde Hodges pretty well right after Don Carlton passed away July 5, 1977. I saw him grind a B block and weld in the extra headbolt bosses taken from a blown up Hemi block. I don't know what bore and stroke they ran but he called it a 396. He said it was absolutely the best running engine they ever ran.
Hodges Dodges!

I seem to remember that when he stopped running Mopars, He said because it was too much work to get them to run.
Well, he didn't seem to have too much trouble with this one. The reason he dropped the MoPar deal was because Chrysler was broke & trying to borrow money from the government.
He had a new Volare being built at the time for the 1980 season, until the cash was cut off.

No way is a 314 inch W2 engine making 970 some HP. I call horse crap on that. I’d be comfortable knocking 250 HP off of it and then I’d still be a bit skeptical.
I think 660 or so is more reasonable

An all out W8 engine that small wouldn't make that kind of power, a wedge engine making over 3hp per cube just hasn't happened.

I think 660 or so is more reasonable

An all out W8 engine that small wouldn't make that kind of power, a wedge engine making over 3hp per cube just hasn't happened.
Not so sure about that, a friends comp car @ 3200 pounds with a 258 & a 277 cube (different class) was running in low 8s or better iirc inline sbc. Ex pro stock olds 6 speed turning over 10 grand all day.

Not so sure about that, a friends comp car @ 3200 pounds with a 258 & a 277 cube (different class) was running in low 8s or better iirc inline sbc. Ex pro stock olds 6 speed turning over 10 grand all day.

What is an Olds 6 speeds and when did Pro Stock ever allow 6 speeds?

What is an Olds 6 speeds and when did Pro Stock ever allow 6 speeds?
It was an OLDSMOBILE pro stock car ROLLER converted to a comp eliminator car, probably before you were born is my guess.

Those video pictures of the heads and valley, look just the ones I took of my Glidden small block. I have a new/unfired complete Glidden engine at my home. Dominators to dry-sump system. All the pushrods were removed to keep it sealed-up, and save springs. It's dusty on the outside, but looks like it was assembled yesterday, internally.

Glidden W2.jpg

Glidden engine 2.jpg

Glidden engine 3.jpg

Glidden engine 5.jpg

Glidden engine 4.jpg

Glidden W2 accessories.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why the White House isn't using electric vehicles in the motorcade? Things that make you go hmmm

I seem to remember that when he stopped running Mopars, He said because it was too much work to get them to run.
I didn't make that up and just by reading what was done to make it run and run well, it could be one of the other reasons to quit Mopar. We are talking about 50 plus years ago and some car magazine had interviewed him, Bob Glidden, and that was one of his answers.

Forgive my youth and ignorance but when were or are 6 speeds allowed in Comp?
I will try to call him next week to get all the info. He’s retired now from racing, mental health reasons, a little spaced out the last time we talked.

Bob said in an interview he never even got a gasket from Ford. Still a mystery why dominate and switch back to Ford?

Bob said in an interview he never even got a gasket from Ford. Still a mystery why dominate and switch back to Ford?
Glidden was a dyed in the wool Ford guy. Worked as a Ford mechanic in dealership for years. He developed a lot of race parts for Ford. So, I do agree with you on that point. If Chrysler hadn't gone tits up, who knows. Chrysler hasn't given me a dime for loyalty either.

View attachment 1716163435

Extra engine parts. These are W2s that don't look like garden-variety W2s. All the angles were changed. He must have loved the 59º deal. It's crazy what he was doing to these things.
View attachment 1716163436

You could put your fist in these ports. All sorts of epoxy inside.
View attachment 1716163437

The exhaust ports are about the only way you would recognize these as W2s.
View attachment 1716163438

Not sure what "DRE" was? D-something Racing Ent.?
View attachment 1716163439

The valve pockets are wild.
View attachment 1716163440

These were kinda heavy actually, I was surprised. Stock stroke stuff the pin bore is so much farther down than stroker pistons.
View attachment 1716163442
DRE is probably Diamond Racing Engines

-
Back