Glide question

-

cosworth

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can help me here or not being a gm product but i have a powerglide transmission thats been upgraded with a turbo350 shaft im trying to figure out what converter to buy for it, im thinking just a turbo350 but i keep running across information about installing a bushing on the input shaft.

Figured it was worth a shot here. Thanks!

According to Bowtie Billy who's sitting here about 2 feet away at his own computer, he said "Yep. He'll probably need a bushing. It depends on what shaft brand he's using."

The phone number's below if you want to talk to him about it. He's a FABO member but doesn't get overly involved on the Boards. :-D

Any GM converter that has a Turbo spline will work. Any thm 350 or 400 converter will work.

Leanna,

Could you do me a favor and show this picture to Billy, Its a TCI imput shaft that is discontinued it has 1/4" grooves down the journal that I think is to allow fluid past the bushing (non installed) want to make sure im right about this before I start buying expensive parts!

download

Let me try this again, the 1/4" slots start just behind the input shaft splines I think they are galleys to let oil by the bushing if I choose to go that route but not sure. Nothing from google on the TCI part number etched in the shaft.

Was good talking with you too Leanna, please tell Billy thanks again for me!

photo.jpg

Ive got a call in to TCI now they just havent called me back yet, no need to trouble him Ill just call them again if they dont respond.

Thanks though!

Billy's got a couple of them on a first name basis -- he's happy to rattle cages for you!

I'm heading out to the shop now and won't be back in front of the computer until late tonight. Just give him a call if he can help out.

Finally got my answer out of TCI, the turbo shaft requires a bushing to be installed in the stator support UNLESS you purchase an outrageously expensive converter that has a support bushing build into its casing. The fluted passages are for fluid to pass by and allow pressure to build over gun-drilling the shaft as other brands do.

Thanks again Billy and Leanna!

Glad it worked out for you Craig! Gotta love it when a plan comes together. :-D Don't hesitate to let him know if you need any other help along the way.

Just reading your thread, and had one comment, being a racer, I don't normally purchase "low end" converters but I have never had a race converter that didn't have the bushing between the drive cover and the turbine, which locates the front of the input shaft and negates the necessity of the stator tube bushing. Some recommend if you have the converter bushing you should not use the stator bushing, but I have usually ran both, although currently not running the stator tube bushing.

Im not looking to use a "low-end" converter, I have a nice Hughes converter I would like to use just wanted to make sure my ducks are in a row. Didnt want to buy TCI's converter unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe I shouldn't have put it that way, (response to "UNLESS you purchase an outrageously expensive converter that has a support bushing build into its casing"), my point is I have never had a converter that didn't have the bushing, therefore usually you won't need the stator tube bushing, but if you don't have it or don't know, then you do need the bushing. I have always ran Coan or Neal Chance.

Hughes should be able to tell you if your converter has the bushing.

-
Back