Go to street cam from the 70s-80s.

-
I found a neat cam in an old 383 that was in a motor pile in a little junkyard in a little town. It was just a short block, painted Chevy orange, had a chrome oil filter on it, had some big dome pistons in it, all 8 pistons had been hit by the valves. Then I noticed, it had solid lifters. I brought a harmonic balancer puller along the next day and pulled the cam out, it had a roller timing set also. It is a Crower 310/525 solid. I had just got my 69 Coronet R/T, 440, auto and 3.23 rear. I thought-this will sound cool in my 440, so I bought all new Isky rockers and hardware. It did sound really cool, but I didn't have any vacuum for my power brakes, and it was pretty gutless till it got over 3000 rpm. I still have it in a box today. Thinking about putting it in something again.

yeah i have had that cam for years came with my car. I did have it in an engine that I ran briefly, now keep in mind I was a dumb kid in my 20s :)

the setup was, stock X heads, open headers, the TRW high comp dome pistons. the thing would idle like a beast. No I didnt race it or get to drive it much. I later took the engine apart and "detuned" it for cruising. A milder cam ,lower compression etc. I figured at the time it was 11:1 comp. with that CAM. I am older now and wonder what that cam would be like. "Actually going down the street" LOL!

I think Crower were ahead of the pack with their cams. In the 1970s they had street grinds as tight as 105 LSA, when just everybody else was using 110-114.
These days, 106 LSA for a street cam is not unusual....

Its hard to beat the 292/.508 Mopar cam, i ran it last year in my 360, but i switch to the modern day solid version from Bullet 282/.510, you would be surprise how many rpms you can turn with these specs.

It's one of the best "no guesses" cams out there, IMO. It will even work well in low compression engines if it's installed in the right place.

-
Back