God is taunting me...

-

Mr.Ed

Swollen Member
Reaction score
A month or so ago I ran across a craigslist ad for a '75 Dart for $1200. I need a parts car and it was close so I went to take a look. The car was pretty ratty and had the parts I needed, but way more than I wanted to spend. It was your typical /6, rotted, broken exhaust, vinyl roof ripped off, baby blue Dart. I passed. I figured I would keep an eye on it 'cause there's no way somebody's paying $1200 for it.

A couple of weeks go by I see it listed again, this time for $1000. I also see it on ebay with a starting bid of $800. I'm watching the auction and not a single bidder ponys up. I even passed on another Dart on ebay figuring I would get this one. Ok, here's my chance. A couple days ago, I call the guy. "Sorry, just sold it for $900." Oh well!

Now today I'm outside working on my Dart and I hear a loud exhaust. Out of the corner of my eye I see this baby blue Dart with no vinyl roof. It can't be! I run out to the end of my driveway to see where he's going. I live at the beginning of a dead-end street so I knew he wasn't going very far. He goes past my house and makes a u-turn in my next door neighbor's driveway. As he drives past my house again we make eye contact. It's an 18 year old kid, smiling from ear to ear, with shiny new plates on the ratty old Dart, followed by what must have been his dad in an '09 Charger. I nodded, he nodded and went on his way while I stood there dumbfounded.

Obviously he just picked up his new car and was driving around, but what the heck made him come past my house like that?

A classic case of a Dart in the hand is worth two in the bush or vice versa. Plus, God is taunting me.

God was showing you that you dont always understand his plans.He may have a very nice car for you in your future.

I dont know;seems like it made the kids day.Cant put a price on that.I have seen kids give 400 for a pair of shoes.Probably not really taunting-maybe just a little underhanded lesson???

God was showing you that you dont always understand his plans.He may have a very nice car for you in your future.

I never thought of it that way!:-D

Besides, I guess its better someone's driving it than me cutting it up for parts.

maybe just a way of showing you that the deal you passed up was a memory for someone else.....because this kid might learn alot with this car and make alot of memories with that car.

deals are everywhere.....BUT for me it seems like the deals are everywhere when I am broke LOL....so pretty much all the time lol

maybe just a way of showing you that the deal you passed up was a memory for someone else.....because this kid might learn alot with this car and make alot of memories with that car.

I agree, sound like it was going to be a parts car for you, but the kid is definitely having more fun with it than you would as a parts car.

I would have waved the kid over and got his number incase he might ever wanna sell it.. Young dudes text and call me all the time wantin' to sell me parts-- cheap--...

That is a great story....and are you sure it wasn't you 71challengerSE? Thats what I used to always say when things happened....It wasn't me!

YEA! Send him a card! Get him on over here.

LOL @ 71 challengerSE

If a car looked like the one in the photo, it would never pass a roadworthy inspection.
For starters, you can't have perforation rust......rust holes.

If a car looked like the one in the photo, it would never pass a roadworthy inspection.

I'm guessing those front tires rub like mad when making turns. That might raise a few eyebrows.

I'm guessing those front tires rub like mad when making turns. That might raise a few eyebrows.

That pic was from the day I bought it. I drove it home like that but I knew it had a busted torsion bar. It took months to get it to where it would pass inspection and now it looks like this (dont want to hijack) Still needs quarters but one mans parts car is a kids new daily driver

Some states don't look at holes in the exterior, just in the frame and support areas. In NY it would pass inspection as long as the suspension mounting points were intact and the frame rails didn't show any visible holes/cracking. (That last part is a grey area with the state...I've called them several times to make sure a car passes or fails on that one just to CMA.)

I will agree with those who have said that better things might be around the corner or that the memories for the kid will outweigh the parts for the OP. Never know what might be in store for either you or the new owner.

I'm sorry.

Hey don't stereo type lol, I picked my duster up here in MI and it is SUPER SOLID......theres vehicles in the 2000's rotted here in MI and my 1972 had barely any rust!.

ok ok ok......I have to fess up lol.....

It was originally a california car that ventured its way to MI a few years back LOL

Hey don't stereo type lol, I picked my duster up here in MI and it is SUPER SOLID......theres vehicles in the 2000's rotted here in MI and my 1972 had barely any rust!.

ok ok ok......I have to fess up lol.....

It was originally a california car that ventured its way to MI a few years back LOL

See see lol.... mine was Michigan born and raised. Its no longer there but it did leave its quarters behind

-
Back