Good paint brands that won't break the bank

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im gonna paint my 71 scamp pretty soon and im going to be doing it myself....that said, since i will be saving on paying someone else to do it, i wanted to go with a decent brand of paint, however not something expensive like house of kolour....i was thinking maybe basf, sikkens, or ppg...are these brands good (quality wise and price wise), are there any i missed, or do you guys disagree....any help would be appreciated

thanks8)

Nason makes a decent paint,never used it myself but i have used there
primers and have had very good results.This is Duponts lower level line
usually available where Dupont products are.

I have used BASF, DUPONT, HOUSE OF KOLOR, SIKKENS and PPG. i really think sikkens is one of the best, but i use ppg on a regular basis (just about everyday). ppg is a lot more user friendly, and it is good paint also.

I have used Nason primer and base/clear, Dupont Chroma single stage & base/clear and PPG base/clear. As a novice painter (that took a course) I can't tell any difference in how these materials are to work with compared to each other.

FWIW, I painted my 68 Barracuda in May of 2000 with a mix of Dupont Chroma single stage (engine compartment, trunk and jams) and Base/Clear (everything else). Eight years and 50k miles latter the paint is still in excellent shape. I have had chips and other issues that has caused me to do some spot repairs and the paint color has not faded so there has been no match issues.

Although I haven't personally used theirs , southern polyurethane seems to have good feedback, couple of well known cars have used their paint system and they have a forum on their paints also .
Year ones viper red road runner is one of them that used their system.
Prices are real decent..

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm

Alot of the guys around here use omni,its ppgs econmy line,thats whats on my car.

I was showing company products at an aerospace tradeshow last year and the booth next to me was a Sherwin-Williams aircraft paint distributor. We got to talking and I found out their aircraft paint is actually superior to their automotive paint (think about the environment aircraft are stored and operate in) - and the price is better. I'm seriously considering using it when my '69 Dart gets painted. Check out their colors online.

RM-Glasurit.......very good quality. You get what you pay for....

from what i am seeing there are alot of different good brands out there...i guess it all comes down to a matter of preference price wise, colour wise, etc.

You might check out www.tcpglobal.com, www.paintforcars.com or www.smartshoppersinc.com. I bought the restoration kit from TCP Global. Howard

I have also bought lots from TCP Global. Their restoration shop paint is pretty darn nice. Very high solids, quality stuff. I plan to use them for all my future paint purchases. I was able to get perfectly matched factory color paint for my Duster there. And the prices are very good.
-
I would not recommend the stuff from paintforcars.com, tried it once, what a waste of money that stuff is not even worth the can they put it in.

GLASURIT 22 LINE. I wont use anything else. I've used it on all my restorations including a 1960 land rover that I drove through and over trees. The paint is bullet proof. Most high end German cars are painted with it.

from what i am seeing there are alot of different good brands out there...i guess it all comes down to a matter of preference price wise, colour wise, etc.

An what you can get easily. There used to be two auto body suppliers in my town. One was a PPG dealer and one a Dupont, the PPG closed so it's Dupont for me unless I want to drive 45-60 minutes to get to another supplier.

I have also bought lots from TCP Global. Their restoration shop paint is pretty darn nice. Very high solids, quality stuff. I plan to use them for all my future paint purchases. I was able to get perfectly matched factory color paint for my Duster there. And the prices are very good.
-
I would not recommend the stuff from paintforcars.com, tried it once, what a waste of money that stuff is not even worth the can they put it in.

I used there paint on my 71 Scamp and was very happy with the quality and colopr match to the original paint.

I also have purchased from TCP Global and was happy. Martin Senour is also very good which is available at local Napa stores. My paint of choice is RM Diamont but they are VERY expensive.

TCP Global also color matches paint just give them your paint code and they will mix it up for you.

Our local O'Reilly's Auto Parts now offers Nason paints at a very good price. Prior to moving to TX, I had used Nason down in south Florida dozens of times with excellent results. Now that O'Reilly's offers it here, it could not possibly be more convenient and the pricing is very fair.

anybody used sherwin williams genesis line of paints? went to the local Maaco today to look into what paint they use and what they will charge for a repaint...luckily the owner is a mopar guy with 35 of his own mopars currently, so hopefully he can cut me a deal and do a decent job...they use sherwin williams genesis line and they said it's really good, but just wondering if anyone on here has used it before and with what results8)

Maaco is not known for the durable paint jobs or prep work.......

has anybody else used Maaco before, even for cars besides their a-bodies? if so, how did the paintjob turnout?

Used Maaco about 5 years ago.. you need to shop around to different locations. I paid 300 and it looked as good as if i would have painted. Had 71 dart painted black and had no runs at all. Looked excellent for the price!
Hope this helps.
:munky2:

I've seen some pretty nice paint jobs come out of Maaco's. If you don't need any body work done, they're often a decent option.

the trick to any good paint job is in the prep. In 2002, I had a 94 buick repainted by maaco after some $marta$$ threw some kind of acid on it while I was at a xmas party. I did all the sanding and chrome removal and had Maaco do the priming and painting. The finish was still beautiful three weeks ago when it went to the scrap yard, the transmission went out and the engine was tired with 200k+.

has anybody else used Maaco before, even for cars besides their a-bodies? if so, how did the paintjob turnout?

yea the Maaco that i have gone too is owned by a mopar guy who just painted one of his 35 cars ( a 68 coronet to be exact) so im kinda comfortable with the place...he walked me around to show me all the different cars and paintjobs they do and the differences between single stage paint and base/clear paint...the single stage is alot cheaper, but the base/clear can be wetsanded...what kinda paint do most of you guys have, single stage or a base/clear?

Try Transtar or Matrix products, both are the same chemically as the top line materials from PPG, Sikkens Dupont etc. without the name brand price. I know because we sell the same materials to all of them. In addition the chemists at these companies all know what each others formulas are and just copy them or tweak them to suit their particular needs.

-
Back