Got an A/C question

-

72dart_swinger

Reaction score
I got a 08 subaru forester and I noticed that the a/c compressor was cycling on and off so I added some freon. Stopped the cycling for a little while. Anyway I looked at the fill valve and it seemed fine and then out of curiosity I looked at the valve on the high pressure side and saw it bubbling from where the core looks like it screws in. Is there a way that the "valve core" can be tightened up to stop the bubbling/leaking?

I hope that this makes sense.

Anyone got a link to the tool that fits on the valve?

Yeah. Just like a tire schrader valve.

Only if it's loose in the threads.
Otherwise you have to replace the valve and refill it.
It is exactly like a shrader valve, as in it has it's own little rubber seat in it.
Tightening the valve will only work if the valve is not already seated tightly.
A shrader valve seals around it's outside to the stem it's in, but has another seal that stops the air or in this case coolant from coming back through it until the center pin is depressed.

Sucks huh?

I just had to do one on the wife's BMW.

Attachments

• 213020_Large.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 224

Sucks huh?

Dang. I hope its loose in the threads, but with my luck it wont be. Now to find the tool to try and tighten the valve.

Sucks huh?

There is a special core replacement tool for this job, which normally can also be used for a "high flow" evacuation tool

Here's one type. The "knob" on the end is connected to a sliding core tool with an extension shaft inside the barrell. What you do is, install it on the valve, use the knob to unscrew the core, and pull the shaft out as far as it will go, then close the valve, which seals in the gas. Then you unscrew the nut below, and you can then pull the core tool out of the main body. Stick a new Schrader in, reverse procedure

This appears to be one for R134, so they make 'em

20110726111229_nhtoxi.jpg

Of course YouTube has a video on the subject, LOL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwKVsSZz5Nk"]How To Replace Leaking AC Schrader Valve Cores That Leak Freon Refrigerant Charge - YouTube[/ame]

Photo at bottom is old style 1/4" flare tool

Attachments

• coretool.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 222
That special tool is so some unsuspecting sob doesn't get shot in the eye with the valve. :D

That's cool. I didn't know they made at tool to replace the valve without loosing the charge.

I doubt the OP wants to spend the money? for one of these, but a GOOD shop will have one.

You do NOT however, want to try and install the tool on a leaking valve without pulling the core end out of the tool, leaving the valve open. This will let pressure bleed off without freezing your fingers.

That is something, it appears, that Mr. "Kung Fu" did not do.

Here's a lot shorter----and lot better--- video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z6U-go2JuE"]How to use a Valve Core Removal Tool - YouTube[/ame]

I think that I will admit that this might be out of my league, I am inexperienced with a/c work and I don't want to mess it up worse. I guess I am gonna have to find a local shop. How much should a shop charge to fix/replace two of the valves?

No idea, but someone who is "honest" and if this is all they do, that is, change the valve, I'd think 10-20 bucks would be a huge plenty.

When I changed one of these, I was already "on a job," but this didn't even go on the ticket.

-
Back