Green bearing seal question

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Putting my first set of green style bearings in an 8 3/4. Even though it's a sealed bearing, do you guys still use the inner seal? I'm rebuilding the axle now, and curious if I should reseal the axles with greenies. Thanks.

Yes you still need the inner axle seals. The sealed Green style bearings is meant to hold the grease in the bearing. Without the inner seals the rear end fluid will leak out around the outer race.

There are 2 deals right? Inner and outter? So 4 axle seals per rear? Been a while since I've had one apart. The one I have now is in parts so I can't tell.

No you do not need the outer just the inner. The outer seal was used to hold grease in the original taper bearing style bearing. The original style had to be packed with bearing grease, What held the grease in was the outer and the inner axle seal. So the inner seal served two purposes.

I've just checked Napa and they are out of stock. Guess I'll order online. Sure nice to have the parts on hand! So no outer seal huh. Ok. Thanks!!!

I have to redo my axle seal on one side myself. She's got a bit of the leak. I figure while I'm at it I will replace the wheel bearings on both sides. Do you guys recommend the green style over the old taper style? I can get the taper style through my work no problem. I don't really care about the difference between the two price wise. Just more about which one is better performance/longevity wise.

The "o ring" does the sealing so the inner seal really is not needed.

Ah, thanks. Also, this is not something I found when I used the search feature. Can I still use my factory retainer plates or will I need to buy "green bearing" axle plates?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they come with new retainer plates? I would just use em, always replace with new when you can.

As stated previously, if the axle seals are not installed or are worn out, gear oil will leak out. While the Green bearing has an O.D. o-ring, that itself isn't going to keep the gear oil inside the housing.

There is one thing you should know when using these bearings I do not see mentioned. Call me before you install them. Steve

You'll need to take the axle adjustment pin out of your sure grip Or you will destroy the retaining plates and the bearings.

I find it easier to cut the axle ends. The axles are to long to use with green bearings. Factory bearings have one adjuster to adjust the tapered beaings. This adjuster uses a pin in the diff to load the other axle.

just some info for those who don't know. I have had many cars come to the shop with green bearings installed wrong and it gets costly. In most cases you jus cannot just slip them in and tighten them

Doesn't the green bearing retainer ring occupy the space where the inner seal would normally go?

The kits contain an inner seal, which would make sense that it still uses them.

Doesn't the green bearing retainer ring occupy the space where the inner seal would normally go?

No, the retainer ring is on the outside, at the brake backing plate. The grease/oil seal is inside the end of the axle tube.

Fig. 5 shows the mechainc hammering the grease/oil seal in:

343fzbs.jpg

No, the retainer ring is on the outside, at the brake backing plate. The grease/oil seal is inside the end of the axle tube.

Fig. 5 shows the mechainc hammering the grease/oil seal in:

343fzbs.jpg

I think he was referring to the green bearing retainer collar.

-
Back