Ground Pounder Street 470

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
Well I got a call one day, and this customer wanted a BBM for the street. Wants 15" vacuum, good street manners, dependability, pump gas and 550+HP. So I thought "470"! Good stroke combo for a low deck, good rod ratio and light assembly.

Here is the run down

400 bock prepped and ready to go
3.91 crank
6.535 rods
27cc dish pistons (9.60 to 1)
Edelbrock E Street 75cc heads
RPM intake
Voodoo solid roller cam 243/249 @ .050"
QF 850 Hot Rod carb
FBO ignition system
7qt pan
MRL to end oiling mod
PRW SS roller rockers
MRL solid roller lifters
HP Valve job and Mild port cleanup

I wanted to keep the compression down, yet have a good tight quench so we went with a 27cc dish piston and the 75cc heads. This way he can run any pump gas premium no matter where he ends up. It idles well and sounds Bad *** at 950-1000rpm pulling 14-15" of vacuum.

Its a Ground Pounder for sure , laying down 600+TQ from 3800-4500 rpm. It peaked at 610TQ from 4000-4200! And the best part is it made 550+TQ from 3000-5550 rpm! Torque? Yeah we got some of that!

Now on the other end comes the reliability. Peak HP came in at 5600 rpm. Thats nice as he wont have to rev the life out of it to get ALL the power. It made 583HP at 5600. 500+HP from 4300 rpm on up.

The fuel curve was nice and steady, running 12.9-13.5 for the entire run. BSFC was .400-.355. Again, Waste Not Want Not! VE was 95%+ for most of the run peaking at 98%.

We achieved our customers goal and then exceeded it without sacrificing durability or drivability. WIN WIN.

This gives me goosebumps and bad ideas. Great job once again!!

Sweet. Great choice on the stroke. Seems everyone builds a 500"+ stroker these days then wonder why they're not faster. You built a solid street motor that fits the heads, cam, etc & puts some out nice numbers.

Just out of curiosity, and I wont be offended if you don't want to say(some people don't) but what's a build like this cost, roughly?

Yet another great build from MRL. With numbers to back it up. Mike nice job! Any dyno vids of this beast?

Just out of curiosity, and I wont be offended if you don't want to say(some people don't) but what's a build like this cost, roughly?
Around $10,500-$11,500 depending on options

Yet another great build from MRL. With numbers to back it up. Mike nice job! Any dyno vids of this beast?

I forgot my camera and took some with my cell phone, but there was no sound and crappy res, so no I did not get any.

I hope I find one of those under my Christmas tree this year. Nice!! Exactly what I'm looking for.:eek:ccasion:

Any comments pro or con on the E Street heads versus the RPM's. I have a 500 low block with 24cc dished pistons at zero deck. I'd like to use the 75cc chamber heads for my combo, for the same reasons. I figure I am changing the springs retainers and locks anyway, so that is no an issue.

Sweet! Big fan of that build. Looks great.

Would also like more info on the E-Streets. Not too much out there on them. Considering a set or Stealths for my 451 build.

Could this motor get the same numbers using Schumacher headers? There are 1-5/8 primaries. 2-1/2 collector.
Ian

Any comments on running a solid roller on the street (albeit a mild one)?

What if you wanted to drive it at highway speeds for a couple of hours?

Do you have to rebuild the lifters every year or two?

Good question-I've been pretty curious about this too, but figured I just missed it in the search function somewhere

Opinion on Pro-Comp Electronics stainless steel roller rockers for B-engines?

Advantages of running behive valve springs?

Yes, what about those Pro-Comp Electronics stainless steel roller rocker arms?

I bought a set from JEGS but haven't used them yet.

Yes, what about those Pro-Comp Electronics stainless steel roller rocker arms?

I bought a set from JEGS but haven't used them yet.
where in okie land are you? I`m in thre collinsville area, about 9 mi. from the dragstrip. the "DOC " is in tulsa , I think-----------------bob

The E street heads are the same as the RPM, the only difference is the valve seat material. Its more for street driving rather than racing. No big deal. I have used about 5-6 sets without any issues.

Solid rollers last just fine on the street with our lifters. I designed them to run on the street as well as the race track. I have never had to rebuild a set of our lifters. I had a customer send a set back for inspection after an entire season of short track sprint racing. Everything still looks good as new after 1200 race laps and 700# spring pressure.

Dont know anything about the ProComp rockers, never used them.

The E street heads are the same as the RPM, the only difference is the valve seat material. Its more for street driving rather than racing. No big deal. I have used about 5-6 sets without any issues.

Solid rollers last just fine on the street with our lifters. I designed them to run on the street as well as the race track. I have never had to rebuild a set of our lifters. I had a customer send a set back for inspection after an entire season of short track sprint racing. Everything still looks good as new after 1200 race laps and 700# spring pressure.

Dont know anything about the ProComp rockers, never used them.

Thanks for the info on the heads.

-
Back