GRRrrr, hit a deer in the Valiant tonight........

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Right at dusk when you can't even see as well as when it is dark and you have your headlights on. She just appeared in front of the car. I got on the binders but locked 'em up and took her down. Smashed up the front end some. Can't get the hood open. The poor deer's back was broken but she pulled herself across a field and into some woods. The cop and I couldn't find her to put her down. I hate that. Poor thing.

Well, the car is fixable. I probably got off easy considering I was cruising at 50mph. What ya gonna do anyhow.

Maybe I can find some parts at Carlisle in a few weeks.

IMG_20170620_220154774.jpg

Probably the worst time of the day for deer to be hit. Bad thing is its one of the best times to be out for a drive as its cooling down and the air feels great with the windows open! Sorry you had it happened to you. Hope you can find parts and get it back together. Best of luck!
Rod

Looks like the deer got the worst of it.
If you'd been driving a modern car it probably would have wiped out the whole front end.

Looks like the deer got the worst of it.
If you'd been driving a modern car it probably would have wiped out the whole front end.
That sucks , glad everyone but the deer is ok. Maybe time to make it better. MY son bought a camry back from me that he bought new, hit a big buck and totaled it 3 weeks later. Him and grandson are fine .

The good news is it isn't "too bad." You could have ended up with the deer in the car with you.

My neighbor caught a deer with his neon, flipped the damn thing up on the hood, got the hood, windshield and roof, scooped it over the roof and dropped the thing right through the rear window

Sis hit a deer doing 'about 70' in Hill Country, TX. Wiped out the rental she was driving, blood and guts everywhere! Her being from Cali, it was a very traumatic experience. Bummer. Glad your safe

Sucks!!!

Looks like all the big stuff is ok though. Hood alignment doesn't look too bad, probably won't open because the latch is tensioned, looks like the hood support is bent. Those grille parts aren't super easy to find, darn shame.

Probably the worst time of the day for deer to be hit. Bad thing is its one of the best times to be out for a drive as its cooling down and the air feels great with the windows open! Sorry you had it happened to you. Hope you can find parts and get it back together. Best of luck!
Rod

I see you got a RED X ! I don't know who posted it but I don't understand what you disagree with, can you please explain.

I have hit deer's twice, once in my 86 turbo shelby, that did a lot of damage, the other was in my truck, didn't do any damage.

I feel for you dude.

Right at dusk when you can't even see as well as when it is dark and you have your headlights on. She just appeared in front of the car. I got on the binders but locked 'em up and took her down. Smashed up the front end some. Can't get the hood open. The poor deer's back was broken but she pulled herself across a field and into some woods. The cop and I couldn't find her to put her down. I hate that. Poor thing.

Well, the car is fixable. I probably got off easy considering I was cruising at 50mph. What ya gonna do anyhow.

Maybe I can find some parts at Carlisle in a few weeks.

View attachment 1715059253

Be thankfull it wasn't a moose or an elk

Well that sucks. Is your insurance company doing well with it? (I haven't read all the thread)

So, I got the hood open this morning. I think I got pretty lucky (if you can call it that, lol) As far as I can tell the core support is okay. I think the hood is okay.

The bumper had a tweak in it already, and the rf fender had some wrinkles from a fender bender long before I even bought the car.

My A/C condensor is likely done. The funny part of that is that I had a spare new condensor for about 8 years and just sold it a month or two ago....

It looks like some grill work, a fascia panel, and some straightening and I'll be back to 80% as member Bodyperson above pointed out. And 80% is fine. One day I'll do the body up right, but that is a ways off.

IMG_20170621_081656958.jpg

IMG_20170621_081713704.jpg

I hit a deer the winter before last in my commuter car, they just step right out in front of you, nothing you can do. Funny thing is, I drove for many years without ever hitting one, it just happens.

I have hit a few. They sure can make a mess. Don't veer off the road to try to miss them either. If you hit one, its a comprehensive claim on your insurance and not a ticketed offense. If you swerve and go in the ditch, hit a pole or whatever, you usually get a "failure to have control" ticket which goes on your driving record and could raise your insurance. Your car is wrecked no matter what.

So, I got the hood open this morning. I think I got pretty lucky (if you can call it that, lol) As far as I can tell the core support is okay. I think the hood is okay.

The bumper had a tweak in it already, and the rf fender had some wrinkles from a fender bender long before I even bought the car.

My A/C condensor is likely done. The funny part of that is that I had a spare new condensor for about 8 years and just sold it a month or two ago....

It looks like some grill work, a fascia panel, and some straightening and I'll be back to 80% as member Bodyperson above pointed out. And 80% is fine. One day I'll do the body up right, but that is a ways off.

View attachment 1715059329

View attachment 1715059330
Amazes me how much damage deer can do to a car. My wife hit a buck in her Ford Escape, excessive damage to her ford, the buck survived but the ford didnt, had radiator damage. (Found On Road Dead)

-
Back