H pipe or X pipe......

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Gettin new mufflers.Any advantage to X or H pipe? which is better and what difference do they make.Muffler guy said they make the sound quieter.I don't have any crossover pipe right now.Do i really need?8)

Dave,
I really like the sound of my "H" pipe set up from TTI
with the Dyno Max mufflers

49.jpg

dynomax super turbo.

tti headers
magnaflow x-pipe
dynomax super turbo mufflers
3" to the bumper.

I like the looks of that and I like the sound.I am going to check out the TTI website. Was quoted up here for some brand X mufflers $200 a piece,plus install,I thought that was a little stiff. Thanks abjoe.8)

TTI Headers, H-Pipe all 3" and Dyno Max Mufflers dumped at the axle. The only reason I ran the H is because my original plan was to do a gear vendor overdrive and with the X Pipe it will not fit. Plans have changed though, would run an X if I did it all over again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAglO79ZTl4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAglO79ZTl4[/ame]

What brand cutouts are you running on that? I was looking into electrics but didn't know which was better.

All electric cut outs have issues I know guys with all kinds of brands. Motors go out leak grease and flaps get loose. Yes and even QTP's have issues!

I bought mine on eBay a long time ago with the turn downs clamps etc, forgot the brand.

I'd go with the X-pipe, I think Chrysler only got 10-hp out of the cross over pipe that came factory on the HP big block b-bodys...

Don't know what's on this 'Cuda Dave, but I sure like it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzFpRF08QU"]YouTube- 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda[/ame]

Gettin new mufflers.Any advantage to X or H pipe? which is better and what difference do they make.Muffler guy said they make the sound quieter.I don't have any crossover pipe right now.Do i really need?8)

I don't like any kinda crossover at all. Unless it's for support purposes only. To me, it kinda gives the exhaust a blahhhhhhh sound.Without the crossover, I think it sounds more crisp. But that's just me. Personally, you'll never feel the difference.

Mp 292/508

that was my mp short block, eddy head motor. Spun a brearing in it a few years ago. Car has a stock 74. 360 in it now. Mellow sounding now...lol

Mp 292/508

that was my mp short block, eddy head motor. Spun a brearing in it a few years ago. Car has a stock 74. 360 in it now. Mellow sounding now...lol

Bet it's more fun to drive.

That old motor sure was fun around town and at the track. The stock motor and 2.94 gear is a lot more fun the way I use the car though. Long cruises up on the highway.

Don't know what's on this 'Cuda Dave, but I sure like it

YouTube- 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda

Yea,I like that one too Tony.It's got a bit of that tinny sound I am looking for,doesn't hurt to have a lumpy cam as well.:-D I went to TTI and listened to some of the Dyno Max mufflers.They were using a Chevy 502/502 I think.After what I was quoted I am looking hard at ordering a setup similar to yours.8)

I have used H and X cross overs and I can't say that I can tell any difference in power from no cross over. But, they have made a large difference in the sound. They have reduced the volume of the sound across the entire rpm range and they have smoothed out the sound and lowered the frequency.

In order to get any significant power increase they have to be placed properly. If you just put it where it fits it's likely not where it needs to be for max power.

Another question,is 3" pipe too big for a mild smallblock? Do you need a certain amount of backpressure?8)

I have used H and X cross overs and I can't say that I can tell any difference in power from no cross over. But, they have made a large difference in the sound. They have reduced the volume of the sound across the entire rpm range and they have smoothed out the sound and lowered the frequency.

In order to get any significant power increase they have to be placed properly. If you just put it where it fits it's likely not where it needs to be for max power.

Another question that I have and might be good info for this thread is to take note that the summit/jegs axhaust kits do not come with an H or X pipe at all...How does that also affect performance with out having either? And how much louder is it?

I have the X pipe and have one word of caution, be careful with your muffler choice!!! I have a drone around 1500-2000 rpm. It can be corrected by changing the mufflers and thats my plan this winter. I do like the X pipe, the one I used is from Summit.

Another question,is 3" pipe too big for a mild smallblock? Do you need a certain amount of backpressure?8)

Back pressure is bad for any internal combustion engine. But going to big on the pipes can actually slow down the air flow enough that it effectively increases backpressure by reducing the scavigining effect and will lower the power output.

That being said on a mild small block the only thing you will get from going from 2.5" to 3" exhuast is more noise.

-
Back