Ham radio op given cell phone ticket be careful in NY State

-

cavemanmoron

Reaction score
NY ham ticketed for talking on his radio;

Sunday morning, Steve Bozak (WB2IQU/HL9VX) took a drive to Troy. On the way, he talked to his buddies using his ham radio. But he didn't expect to talk to a police officer next.

Bozak said, "He assured me that I was not to be talking on that cell phone. I said this isn't a cell phone. It's an amateur radio. He said it's all the same."

:( Not supposed to happen like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqNBfrEbvNc"]YouTube- DSCN3370.AVI Steve Bozak WB2IQU Cell phone ticket HT radio[/ame]

Ham radios and CB's are not cell phones for sure, but to the power drink cop who doesn't care, he'll just write the ticket cause of his quota and get on with his life laffin.

Same crap for pre-seat belt cars, catslitic converter and pre reverse lights, etc.......

The cops just wirte without care. Nothing new here........................

all the news thats fit to print o well i dont fell sorry for him

I may have to look into a VOX throat microphone for my mobile rig and be more diligent about watching my bleeping language while driving if this crap catches on.

Prediction: Manual transmissions in passenger vehicles will be phased-out and eventually outlawed as the added task of selecting the appropriate gear is too much for most drivers.

Prediction: Manual transmissions in passenger vehicles will be phased-out and eventually outlawed as the added task of selecting the appropriate gear is too much for most drivers.

:glasses9: Interesting and maybe........I guess the gov't will help us drive too :angry7:

Not a political statement, just :sad8:

That guy should have filed a complaint about the cop using his police radio. Too much big brother and getting worse. Laws are good so don't get me wrong, I just think what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

There is a provision in the law allowing use of Ham radio's if I'm not mistaken. Read it on www.QRZ.com awhile back. Some cops are just butt holes and love to write tickets. The ham opp shouldn't have any problem getting out of it but it'll probably cost him a days work so he can take it to court.

all the news thats fit to print o well i dont fell sorry for him

??? Not quite sure what you mean in the first few words except you don't feel sorry for him. Do you have any idea how many ham operators each year provide free public service such as weather spotting, tornado reporting, disaster relief, etc. FYI tornadoes cannot be seen on weather radar. It takes people on the ground to report them. Some are reported via cell phone but the majority of the time it is reported by a mobile amateur radio operator. I am a trained weather spotter and know numerous others that take time to watch the skies (sometimes from a specified location other than home) just to report a tornado spotting, wind shear, or down-burst to the national weather service so they can send out the warning. If it weren't for these people spotting, the weather service would not be able to issue warnings anywhere fast enough to do any good.

??? Not quite sure what you mean in the first few words except you don't feel sorry for him. Do you have any idea how many ham operators each year provide free public service such as weather spotting, tornado reporting, disaster relief, etc. FYI tornadoes cannot be seen on weather radar. It takes people on the ground to report them. Some are reported via cell phone but the majority of the time it is reported by a mobile amateur radio operator. I am a trained weather spotter and know numerous others that take time to watch the skies (sometimes from a specified location other than home) just to report a tornado spotting, wind shear, or down-burst to the national weather service so they can send out the warning. If it weren't for these people spotting, the weather service would not be able to issue warnings anywhere fast enough to do any good.

Great Post!!

He states that he hopes the law will be modified. It shouldn't need to be. NY DMV already recognizes the use of mobile Ham's with the issuance of personalized Ham radio plates with the user's call sign. This cop was out of line. Hopefully, the judge will see this and dismiss it.

Now if the cop wants to do some good he needs to become a NYS trooper and to go to Watkins Glen or come to Elmira and start writing tickets to his fellow officers who are cruising around with their phones stuck to their ears.

Where have you been? There are many vehicles, that are not available with a manual trans. Went to look at a Ford f-150 this week. Manual trans? NOT.

He states that he hopes the law will be modified. It shouldn't need to be. NY DMV already recognizes the use of mobile Ham's with the issuance of personalized Ham radio plates with the user's call sign. This cop was out of line. Hopefully, the judge will see this and dismiss it.

I didn't catch that the first time but I just watched it again and caught him saying that. Maybe he means the law should be modified to be clearer for the cops to understand??

Now if the cop wants to do some good he needs to become a NYS trooper and to go to Watkins Glen or come to Elmira and start writing tickets to his fellow officers who are cruising around with their phones stuck to their ears.

Same here.

Police Officers are exempt.

What about those of us that still have and use CB radios????

Those are mandated by the FCC not local laws same as Ham.

Later,
Bruce B.

What about those of us that still have and use CB radios????

Those are mandated by the FCC not local laws same as Ham.

Later,
Bruce B.

Since you use a microphone with a CB I doubt it'd be a problem, but you never know. Just look at how this stupid cop did. I have the exact same Kenwood HT as the guy that got the ticket and I can guarantee you it does not look that much like a cell phone.

I just added a picture of my Kenwood HT (same model as the one in the article) next to my cell phone. I realize there are a lot of different style cell phones but you can plainly see this is a transceiver, not a phone. How many cell phones do you see with an 8" rubber duckie antenna, LOL

Kenwood TH-F6.jpg

Police Officers are exempt.

Not that I know of. I see Chemung and Schuyler County sheriffs deputies as well as state police officers pulled over all the time talking on his or her cell phone. I've seen them pull off in front of me to take a call.

It's the local cops, the village and city police, I see talking on the phones constantly. So, if the sheriffs and staties are pulling over then I don't believe that shows them to be exempt. I actually see them obeying the law that we as ordinary citizens are supposed to obey.

I've even seen a local cop in Elmira duck his cell phone down when a state trooper was coming the other way. If he was exempt why did he duck his cell down? Yeah, it's unusual to see a cop pull another one over, perhaps he was afraid of a reprimand going through the channels if he was seen with it?

I cant remember the last time I saw a NYS trooper that didn't have a cell phone to his/her ear while speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. I know cops aren't required to wear seatbelts in emergency vehicles but they should practice what they preach. Giving that guy a cellphone ticket is such bs, its clearly not a cell phone, now he's guilty until proven otherwise.

I happen to know Steve, WB2IQU, and he was on his way
to have Breakfast in Troy,NY with me, and another couple of
Amateur Operators.

He is a nice guy, and its a bummer he got a ticket, for uing his HT attached to an on the roof antenna.

K2HAT

http://www.qrz.com/db/K2HAT

I have a radio myself.During a disaster or after a disaster,cell phones are worthless.If anything were to happen to our cell phone communications,landline phones,or TV,and internet,like a huge catastophic nationwide disaster,or an attack,you bet the only way to go will be HAM radios.

I understand the need for the ham operator to be able to use his device in the event of emergencies, but the reason the cell phone laws were passed was to reduce the number of accidents caused by distracted driving and the amount of distraction is not reduced because the technology is different. I can't believe that there are no hands free options for ham operators and if there aren't, then they should do as any cell phone operator would be expected to do if faced with the need to make a call in an emergency, pull over. The law may suck, the police exemptions definitely suck, but I don't see why the cop should have treated this guy any different, he was bs-ing with his friends on a communications device that was not "hands free" while he was driving.

I wont answer my cell while im driving.Ill wait until I pull over and call them back.Heck,they can leave a message :-D

I'm usually in my truck. With the mudders I have on it I can't even begin to hear someone on my cell phone, so I have to pull over. :-D

-
Back