hard engine starting

-
I don't think you have any issue at all. You just need to adjust your cold starting technique, like MOPAROFFICIAL said. If you have no choke, you just need to run the fuel pump for a few seconds to make sure the fuel bowls are filled, give it one slow full throttle push on the accelerator (half throttle if running the bigger 50cc accelerator pumps), let throttle return to closed/idle position, then hold the throttle somewhere around 1/8 to 1/4 open and crank it. With your higher compression, you may need a little less initial squirt before cranking, but try it and see. I use this procedure on my small block, although I give it two or three full accelerator pump shots because I know mine likes that. If I don't it will usually stall, then I have restart it the same way, starting over. Once it warm, no throttle input required. Don't worry about fuel wash at this level. Non issue.

No choke and 28* locked timing.
It will be hard to start.
Put an advance curve in there and everything will work better.

The old Barry grant catalog provides a decent starting point for selecting an initial timing using engine displacement and cam duration.
Distributor starting point for a curve

If you try the tests that are suggested, with the spark and then the 1/2 teaspoon of fuel, then my next suggestion was going to be what others have suggested: do a bigger pump or 2 pumps prior to cold starting. My son's 340 starts best with 2 pumps when it is cold. The amount of fuel in 2 full Holley accelerator pump shots is around 5-10 cc's. That is 1-2 teaspoons full.

How much of that gets into the cylinders is anyone's guess. Most or all will spread across the intake floor and evaporate and be carried into the engine.

I don't think you have any issue at all. You just need to adjust your cold starting technique, like MOPAROFFICIAL said. .

This also could very well "be." When I ran the Dart carbed, I had an Ed AFB. Depending on temp, I'd turn on they key just maybe 3 seconds to let the pump work, pump the throttle maybe 2 -3 times on a 50 degree morning, maybe 3-5 times if down in the 30-40'sF Sometimes it would die after a few seconds, "repeat". Learn where the throttle needs "cracked" to fire

A 3 second crank-time is probably not enough.
With the [email protected] volts,you might be down to 250rpm at your Scr and locked timing, maybe less even. That comes to only 12 revolutions for you to learn what she wants.
With a longer crank-time, you might luck into it a time or two, and then things will fall into place.IMO, it's just learning on your part.
I've never had a 12.5 monster, so I'd be guessing if I said your T-port sync might have something to do with it. If the throttle was too far closed, there might not be enough fuel being delivered from the transfers to sustain her....... without a choke.
With lessor engines, insufficient T-port exposure is a common condition/mistake. Too much low-speed timing on lessor engines usually leads to such a condition.
Big cams usually sort that out tho. Like I said; I'd be guessing.

A lot of the fuel that you pump into her before beginning to crank her is just gonna lay on the plenum floor, or it will get stuck on the runner walls. Once it makes its way into the chamber a lot of the droplets are too big to burn and so they go right out into the exhaust, unburned.The only fuel that burns is the stuff that evaporated, or got and stayed emulsified. So at this time, the A/F ratio needs to be supper fat. Once the engine jumps to life, all this fuel hanging around will soon get ripped off or up and pass thru the engine, some of it sustaining the burn.But there will be a lot more of it coming until the intake warms up.
If the transfers won't deliver, you will have to keep pumping the pedal, and the fuel that comes from that circuit is not emulsified very well, and a lot of it too will pass thru unburned.....until the intake warms up.
Now a 50* ambient isn't all that cool, so, the above scenario will be eased somewhat. But really, as one poster mentioned, the throttle should be cracked to give the transfers a chance to deliver.
I don't have a choke on my 10.9Scr, HO 367 either, but I have learned her personality after 15 or so, years, and I have a dial-back,dash-mounted, timing device. I can pull timing from the cabin, firing the mixture as the piston is going down, for a second or two, to get the starter rpm up. Then crank it back in, and even adding timing during the warm-up period. It has a range of 15 degrees. I set it somewhere in the middle. But it still won't total 28 like yours. I might get 3*mechanical,plus the 14* initial,plus 7* in the dial-back,totalling 24ish; and if I crack the throttle,and bring the Rs up to 1500 or so, then she will pull in up to another 22* from the Vcan. I can tell she really likes that as it happens. So during the warm-up period; that totals up to as much as 46*, depending on the running vacuum, at the spark-port, and as little as 31* if I fully retard the db.
She runs a power-timing of 34* at 3400rpm with aluminum heads and all timings normalized. It cruises at 14 initial plus 11* mechanical, plus 22* in the can =47* @2250 rpm and I can add up to 7* with the DB, for a grand total of 54* during cruising..
On the street, that Vcan is a real tuning treat, when.... or IF, you can get it bugged out. I have never worked on a street-combo that did not benefit from having one. But I have read of some here on FABO, that did not.
I only work on streeters.

Last edited:
-
Back