Hard start issues continue

-

oldjunk

Reaction score
Been having trouble for quite some time now starting my car after it's hot. I have a '72 340 duster with an agressive cam (unknown). These are the symptoms i am having.

-Car starts perfect when cold, but does smoke (blue) for 1-2 min.

-After 1-2 min., no blue smoke - car idles around 800 rpm very nicely.

-After taking car for a short ride, engine is shut down.

-Let car sit for 15-30 minutes.

-Try to restart...engine seem like it wants to immediately kick over but doesn't. Sometimes i hear a quick knock or ping.

-Try to restart again, this time I need to crank the thing for a long period of time before it faintly comes back to life.

-Sometimes need to rev motor to get it back to normal idle speed.

-Once I do get car to turn over, I can now shut it down and start it right back up with no problem.

Though I was boiling fuel, so i put a wooden spacer between the carb and manifold. Changed the coolant and thermostat. Car stays very cool...gauge reads below halfway. Carb stays cool. So this can't be the issue. I have my initial timing set at 16 btdc, total at 34. My timing was set at 18 btdc before and still had the same issues. I did change my plugs, to rule out fouling from the oil (blue smoke). Only one of the plugs looked like it had issues. If anybody can shed some light on what this could be I would greatly appreciate it.

Try this after car is warmed up shut it down and pull aircleaner. Look down into carb with a good light with carb in WOT. See if any gas is leaking down into manifold it may be empty carb on start up and flooded engine.

Try this after car is warmed up shut it down and pull aircleaner. Look down into carb with a good light with carb in WOT. See if any gas is leaking down into manifold it may be empty carb on start up and flooded engine.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out. If this is the case and I am flooding the engine what is causing this? How do I fix the problem...carb rebuild?

agreed, its flooding the engine...
are you running an electric fuel pump? could be pumpin gas in after you shut it down...

Nope, stock mechanical. I'm thinking it's this carb i'm using. It's an edelbrock performer 600cfm carb. I've had a couple mechanics try to tune this thing to no avail. The fuel/air screws don't seem to do their job. I hear they are great carbs, but I haven't had good luck with mine. I may try and rebuild the thing or just get a new one, depending on what I find is the problem. Any recommendations on a brand other than edelbrock? What carbs do most guys run with the 340?

I agree that flooding with fuel is the most likely. Before starting, try pushing the throttle wide open, slowly so you don't get an accel pump squirt, and hold it open. That is the "clear flood" position. Crank the engine and lift the throttle as soon as it starts firing.

Not just a carb issue. My Newport has a Holley Pro-jection throttle body and I get the same symptoms if it sits ~30 min. I think the injectors slowly leak. I would have to crank 5 sec before it fired. I learned to push the throttle down first and it fires instantly. With the (crappy) "digital" box I have to open the throttle w/ ignition off or it gives a shot of fuel when going open. The older "analog" box works best.

I've ran into this exact same problem twice with Edelbrock carbs but I've had a couple others that worked great. Tried ever trick in the book I knew on the 2 that wouldn't start hot and I never figured them out. Swapped on a Holley and the problem was solved. Try a 670 Holley Avenger. Great carb.

I've ran into this exact same problem twice with Edelbrock carbs but I've had a couple others that worked great. Tried ever trick in the book I knew on the 2 that wouldn't start hot and I never figured them out. Swapped on a Holley and the problem was solved. Try a 670 Holley Avenger. Great carb.

Have been seriously thinking about this exact carb. Where did you get yours? Looking to find one for a good price.

Have been seriously thinking about this exact carb. Where did you get yours? Looking to find one for a good price.

Got mine used but like new from a buddy. Sorry I don't know where to get the best price but summit and JEGS is always a good place to start and if you find it elsewhere cheaper they'll price match.

-
Back