hard time getting motivated

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
ive had the duster up on jackstands for 3 weeks to pull tailshaft for a new bushing.at 54 im not to excited about rolling around on concrete,with two bad knees and a hip giving me problems,30 years of hvac has taken a toll on my body,anyone one else having a hard time getting motivated? i wish i would have put in a lift 25 years ago when i built my garage

ive had the duster up on jackstands for 3 weeks to pull tailshaft for a new bushing.at 54 im not to excited about rolling around on concrete,with two bad knees and a hip giving me problems,30 years of hvac has taken a toll on my body,anyone one else having a hard time getting motivated? i wish i would have put in a lift 25 years ago when i built my garage

I am feeling it also. 25 yrs military out in all kinds of weather will do it to you. I keep cursing the lift I need one badly!

Geez, if I could only be 54 again. I will be 70 this year and can't wait to complete my '72 Scamp resto. Spent 22 years in commercial construction, banged and bruised and asthma keeps me down. We froze our butts off last winter and nothing is going to stop me. I am also a crew chief on an N.M.C.A. 'Cuda and past president of a great car club AND a great grandpa of 2. Hang in there, spring is upon us and the very best to you, Tom

temps were up in the high 80s here yesterday
I was actually rather comfortable laying in the shade installing the exhaust under my duster

Not to make it any more discouraging, but I'm nearly 74 and recall 54 with fond memories. After 50 it's been a steady downhill trip. Even when I find the motivation, I don't have the muscle strength anymore and I tire too quickly.

The good part is that after you reach retirement age, you can save what energy you have for crawling under cars!

temps were up in the high 80s here yesterday
I was actually rather comfortable laying in the shade installing the exhaust under my duster

I worked construction as a plumber in tulsa for 25 yrs before getting into other kinds of plumbing. "don`t work don`t get paid", was in the warm one time in 4 yrs, the last contruction job I had. pushing 69 now. had a broken neck-separated shoulder-broken collar
bone-bone spurs cut off my elbows. "I know very well what you mean!!" why do we do this? lol------hang in there?-----bob :coffee2::coffee2:

waahhhh, You got concrete ! Some of us have had multiple disc surgeries, seem to stand a little shorter every day ( maybe someday I wont need a lift to stand under a car LOL ) and do it in the dirt.
That creeper on wheels works better than sliding your clothing on a length of plastic swimming pool wall.
The substitute for solid floor under my floor jack is a half sheet of 1/4 thick steel tread plate.
The old saying goes something like, " You don't need to look far to find those a lot worse off than yourself ". That applies to me and those I speak for also.
Bottom line... T G I F or any day we're all blessed with.

I hear you on the motivation thing.Im almost 62 and still strong,and working a 6day week, albeit just 4 to 7 hours per day. But definitely not interested in working after the shifts are done.I got a ton of things to do. But just dont feel like doing any of them.Im not tired or sore from the days work. Its not a physical thing, at all.I just cant get it in gear.I keep hoping it will change.......Im in the middle of house renos.Going on 5 years now. The wife is not happy.....I got a couple more car projects on the back-burner. Im beginning to think Ill never get to them.....Just no motivation.
If you find a cure, please post it up.

Many, many days I walk into the shop,turn on the lights,look at my Valiant project,then think, "Not Today" turn out the lights and close the door.................

I have ignored my car for months at a time. I always tell people that they shouldn't work on their car if they don't want to. It will make you hate wrenching and make a hobby feel more like a job. After a few months my passion comes back stronger then ever.

Same situation here as some, multiple back surguries and still several herniated discs. Motorcycle wreck back in 2001 and I'm 44 now. A lot of times " not today" and sometimes force my self to piddle on it even if just an hour. Thankfully I have some outstanding friends that will come by and help me move stuff around,but I have to wait. I try and set a small weekly goal and stick to it. Eventually you'll get it done.

I think the key is work on the car when it will be fun for you, not a drudgery.
a hobby is supposed to provide fun. it helps me to have a car that is a driver, to enjoy when I get tired and repair, replace, and $$$$.
i'm 67, been rode hard and put up wet, like a lot of us this age bracket! LOL
as the old fellow said, " I just get a little "tireder' and liitle quicker!"...

I'm 49, wait 48 crap! I forget #-o anyways- I will go down to the local test & tune. (Not car shows) see the action - smell the burning rubber, hear the crackling heart pounding sound of the exsust of a car with a cam far to big for the street. The wrinkle wall wheel stand launch.
Sometimes I'm more beat up from working on the car than work.

I know how you feel. I've been dreading dropping my tranny, but at least you have concrete my drives gravel. Just keep your eye on the prize and push forward.

Having a hard time getting motivated is something that affects everyone, but creeps up on everyone at different times, rates and intensities. It depends on health, age, money, personal problems, etc. It's normal. But when it gets to a point where lack of motivation is a regular occurance, THAT is when you should start to worry about the rest of your life.

Whether it be working on your car for the street, show or race, it is actually good for you! The idea is to stay active, physically and mentally - as long as you don't push yourself past your physical, mental, financial and/or marital limits. It's healthy and the sense of satisfaction & accomplishment can be as rewarding as in the past. Be realistic on what you can do, how much you can accomplish and by when.

I'm 57 and plan to race for for as long as I can afford it, remain competitive and be able to do most of the work necessary on my cars. I have aches & pains, summer heat sucks and reaction times aren't quite as good/consistent as 10 years ago, but still pretty competitive. I do get "out of shape" in the off season and I have periods of a lack of motivation, especially when I have a string of frustrating losses. It can take time to get out of the "rut". But getting out of the rut and accomplishing your goals, like winning a race with what I built, continues to be enjoyable as ever. I've also had race car projects that I started with a lot of ambition, but found that I set unrealistic goals. So I started over with something more attainable. I hope to have a Dodge Aspen race car out late this season.

It may not be possible to do what you want until the very end. But until them, adjust things to help yourself. i.e: If you have 2 cars and realize that one will never get done, sell it and focus on the one you keep. Otherwise the second one could be weighing you down with worry and/or frustration. If you don't have the time & money to build a 9 second car, back up & build a 10 or 11 second car. If you can't finish a 100 point restoration, do the best you can, finish it and start enjoying it. Besides, there are a lot of upgrades you can do while still driving it!

Bottom line......don't give up too easily. You may regret it. Just be honest with your capabilities and plan accordingly. It can still be fun.

Fabo is great inspiration for me. Looking at some of the builds and progress people are making helps keep me interested in getting somewhere with mine. :burnout:

It's never to late to install a hoist!

Yes I agree about laying on concrete working, it's not as fun as it use to be. At 56 I dread getting under there, but once I get under there and get going I just keep going until I'm done.

Like Myron said it is good for you , not only the physical part , but the mental part.
In the last 5 years, I built 2 race cars, a truck and Rebuilt my Duster from a Drag car to a street car with a 4 speed. Not including fixing many lawn mower, tractors and tillers for people. I was dealer line mechanic for 15 years , worked in many garages. I am 54 and enjoy now more than I did before. I have taught my self to mig weld and paint. Best thing to do is work on it little bit each day or every few days, just don't make it chore, it is suppose to be a fun hobby!

Plus I can't SEE for crap anymore and it frustrates the heck out of me !!

Im 55, Been climbing phone poles for over 20 years, am disabled now, got hit in the rear. HARD to get motivated on my LAST build! almost done, not quite. just got the rest of the chrome and aluminum back from shop, have been stalling putting it on. Got new heads rebuilt 714 casting heads, still on the shop floor, got a 8.75 rear end same place as heads! I need to get motivated! MT

plus i can't see for crap anymore and it frustrates the heck out of me !!

^^^^^^^^^^^this!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have considered just selling out at a loss and moving on but then I get an occasional burst of energy and make progress that keeps me going.My biggest problem is the 1 car garage I have and in the summer I need to park the Daily Driver in the garage because of the heat.Dart has to set out in the Arizona heat and ruin everything I got done.

everyone goes thru this at some point. hell my car sat in a storage unit for almost 2 years after i had it painted.

here is a trick that works for me:

pick one small project that you can finish in less then a day. no matter what it is. just something you can achieve in one afternoon. Reaching that one little goal will kick start your motivation. Just keep doing that and before you know it you have got allot done.

I call it chipping away at the stone... I just got done Servicing my Dana in my truck....
Funny how I grown, grunt, and roll all over the ground, trying to do something so easy...

My Motto is "Do One thing everyday" Something... But when you get to that point, where you can not do it any longer or have the desire... Clear out the garage and go Hydro Racing... :)

Having a hard time getting motivated is something that affects everyone, but creeps up on everyone at different times, rates and intensities. It depends on health, age, money, personal problems, etc. It's normal. But when it gets to a point where lack of motivation is a regular occurance, THAT is when you should start to worry about the rest of your life.

Whether it be working on your car for the street, show or race, it is actually good for you! The idea is to stay active, physically and mentally - as long as you don't push yourself past your physical, mental, financial and/or marital limits. It's healthy and the sense of satisfaction & accomplishment can be as rewarding as in the past. Be realistic on what you can do, how much you can accomplish and by when.

I'm 57 and plan to race for for as long as I can afford it, remain competitive and be able to do most of the work necessary on my cars. I have aches & pains, summer heat sucks and reaction times aren't quite as good/consistent as 10 years ago, but still pretty competitive. I do get "out of shape" in the off season and I have periods of a lack of motivation, especially when I have a string of frustrating losses. It can take time to get out of the "rut". But getting out of the rut and accomplishing your goals, like winning a race with what I built, continues to be enjoyable as ever. I've also had race car projects that I started with a lot of ambition, but found that I set unrealistic goals. So I started over with something more attainable. I hope to have a Dodge Aspen race car out late this season.

It may not be possible to do what you want until the very end. But until them, adjust things to help yourself. i.e: If you have 2 cars and realize that one will never get done, sell it and focus on the one you keep. Otherwise the second one could be weighing you down with worry and/or frustration. If you don't have the time & money to build a 9 second car, back up & build a 10 or 11 second car. If you can't finish a 100 point restoration, do the best you can, finish it and start enjoying it. Besides, there are a lot of upgrades you can do while still driving it!

Bottom line......don't give up too easily. You may regret it. Just be honest with your capabilities and plan accordingly. It can still be fun.

Well stated Loco !

I'm sure folks working on Brand X stuff deal with the same issues but there is something about our allegiance to the MOPAR brand that makes us unique as individuals. We don't want what everyone else has and our builds are more costly and parts are harder to find. I also find that those who covet the early MOPAR Muscle car's typically suffer from OCD myself included. This leads to too many projects and as we age our physical limitations can impact our enthusiasm to work on our cars and for the most part many of us I imagine are doing it all ourselves which makes it even more difficult and as we see these projects everyday the sense of futility becomes endemic. My kids are grown and gone, my Ol' Lady and local family members could give two ***** about old cars and nobody in my neighborhood works on cars. A day doesn't go by that I wish I had some FABO members, Classic Car Enthusiasts or Mechanics close by to keep me motivated. There are many reasons our projects get stalled to include:
1)Physical Limtations
2)Financial Limitations
3)Knowledge Limitations
4)Space Restrictions
5)Time Restrictions
6)Assistance and Support

Personally its a helluva easier to just keep compiling parts for my 65' Cuda upgrades then it will actually be to get them all installed but I'm getting close and am hoping to find a local Fabo member to help even if if I gotta fork out some bucks for the assistance the end will justify the means and if any member's in the North Texas area are willing to lend a hand please by all means let me know.

Happy FABO to Ya'all!

-
Back