Harmonic Balancer Failure Reportings.

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Taking a survey.
Who has had failure of a MOPAR OEM balancer with street use and not racing it.
Interested to hear how many people have actually had a failure with street use.
Let's say a vintage OEM one. Maybe 1969 or later.
What happened?

As our cars get older the rate of failure on all parts will increase. They were never designed to last 50 + years.

Friend had a daily drive 73 or 74 charger with a 318 in it. The balancer went bad. He thought it was a knock but was the bad balancer hitting the timing cover

The only balancer I ever had a problem with was brand new. In my younger years unless they showed signs of problems I never replaced them and never had a ring slip or anything bad happen. Now I do replace them (they're a lot older now than they were then...lol) but only with SFI approved ones.

I've had the rubber rot and the outer ring slip on the inner.

There is no reason to run a stock type damper like the OE one any more.

Might have been on B-bodies or here recently. Someone posted a picture of a SB timing cover with a groove worn through it from the balancer.
Maybe extend the TDC mark down to the inner ring for a visual reference.
Neighbor has an '02 Lexus the balancer came apart on. A lot of squealing first then a bunch of clunking.

My buddies and I have ran gaggles of SB and bb Mopar power plants and I have NEVER saw ONE that came apart

OK.
I've got a perfectly good appearing 1969 stock dampener.
But since the engine has been rebuilt, I've been scared into buying this.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-163383

Now watch the new one give me problems.
Probably made in China or something and I wasted money.
It's going on a 383, which of course, is a forged crank.
Seems to me they should alert people this one isn't for all 440s?
Then again, people should know that.

The problem I have with summit balancers are the #'s, there always upside down, wrong side! Anybody else have this problem?

I was pulling my trailer to bring a friends van home (1 hour away) Just as we are getting to his vehicle my 1997 Ram 2500 with the 360 started to vibrate. When we puled in I saw the damper was spinning freely. We got his van running and I had to call my nephew to come tow my truck home.

-
Back