Has a lot of old school hot rodding been lost?

-
I am working at a GM dealership, out of 15 techs , no one uses a vacuum gauge to tune and diagnose anymore. I've only seen its use mentioned here a few times
Purt near ain't nowhere to hook one up anymore. LOL

Full disclosure. I grew up in a family shop that had been building race cars and hot rods since the model A up hrough racing on the beach at daytona and drag cars in the 70's and hot tords in the 80's. It was old school (outdated) by the time I came along I was exposed to a lot of things people thought was nuts even in the lat 80's early 90's so my perspective is probably skewed.

But I was thinking about how a lot of the things that my grandad and great grandad did are lost due to a bunch of reasons.
I mean who re-arches leaf springs with an anvil and a hammer? Who builds slant sixes for a dirt track car? Who has factory crank counterweights machined down and knife edged anymore? Who modifies a chassis to use two different length torsion bars on a dirt car? Who the hell hotrods old Plymouth flatheads?
A lot of these practices are lost dues to better options now days and many due to it being more cost effective to just buy a crank or a cylinder head than spend the man hours or machine shop bill necessary.
But as I look around the world is changing. Things that were cheap and readily available a couple years ago are hard to come by and suspect quality now. I'm finding myself out of necessity dipping back into some of the things I learned as a kid. Hell Im planning to weld a carb flange into a jeep efi Intake. Something I never would have considered had I not seen it as kid.

Are any of you experiencing this? Or I am I just maybe overly nostalgic?
Are these kind of things being lost to time?
Overly nostalgic for sure but that was then and this is now.
Currently, the best of everything can be bought over the counter and much of it ready to rock and roll out of the box.

The old stuff where you had to use your head and think out of the box is gone because the industry is thinking, Hey! We can make money copying, enhancing, doing it better, making it in a box for them to purchase and install, then go racing.

I don’t re-arc my springs but the shop I went to has a jig and a press. They heated it up and bent it. The same machine made new springs. Be it for an A body or Mack semi.

Knife edging a crank is done if and only if a lot is coming off. Shops where I used to live would do this or narrow the counter weight on request only.

I’ve seen a flat head Chrysler six operated but not exactly hot rodded. Most are or would be looking for old Offenhauser intakes for them. No one I know would bother making one. Besides the old car meet guys are most critical and offensive when this stuff shows up.

These things aren’t lost but seldom seen.
Blame the big mouth unskilled know it all runnin his flaps against being creative and the do it yourself guy.

GOD forbid you show up with your own sheet metal intake!

I’d make one and run it if it proved itself but would t bother showing it.

TBI Mid Rise Dual Plane to 4 bbl mod.

Screenshot_20220401-103525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210530-082049_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220519-112102_Gallery.jpg

Make your own Engine Run Stand from scratch, just for the fun of it.

Great for running in engines, for testing carbs, and different ignition systems.

Beats leaning over fenders and a grille, nice simple stand up work.

Resized_20200712_194110_8421.jpeg

I made my own. I’m going to reconfigure it.
I like yours George.

I totally agree with th OP. It is leaving fast. I am trying to find a younger guy to learn how to rebuild distributors, have one guy supposed to come by on Sundays to learn them, Not yet! I guess he is plugged into a OBD II port somwhere.
You should do videos on it if you haven't. Would be a great way to pass on the knowledge.

What I see here in the SW is more younger people driving hot rods with rat rod themes. Good example is Good Guys car show. Lots of young people driving nice cars.

D28703EA-3593-4D25-8593-B61C433A5597.jpeg

2F453CF4-ED0E-49D1-A359-44FFF209844E.jpeg

5465F80C-18EF-4E71-B45C-4524F6A41771.jpeg

C304732D-F840-4E01-916B-8C9951A4566F.jpeg

029238AF-8B10-4631-BC93-1162747E1BE7.jpeg

D472B98D-DBCE-4B49-9F21-C5B1ACCE50C3.jpeg

You have folks who just don't care buying up old cars and sending them overseas. Make money now the hell with later. There was a time when knowing how to get a flooded car started in January was a part of life, now you just call off work and have it towed to a "technician" people don't care and everything is high drama, the flooded car, its the end of the world if it were to happen to someone today, and they'd pay you an arm and a leg to fix it fast LOL!

And to answer the original question, yes. Only the people with money can afford this now. I guess I'm not getting no titanium rods for Christmas this year. lol
You nailed it. This is why when I see these 318 builds requiring a boatload of machine work I think to myself " but that negates the point of running a 318..if I wanted to dump a boatload of cash id buy a 5.9 magnum and build that up...""

To me there's hotroding and then there's restoring and all the stuff in between.
Hotroding is getting an old car running/driving safe and then making it better running.... and the fluff may or may not come later/ not so much $$ in the old days.

Then there's the resto where you take everythng apart and make it all perfect. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

You have folks who just don't care buying up old cars and sending them overseas. Make money now the hell with later. There was a time when knowing how to get a flooded car started in January was a part of life, now you just call off work and have it towed to a "technician" people don't care and everything is high drama, the flooded car, its the end of the world if it were to happen to someone today, and they'd pay you an arm and a leg to fix it fast LOL!
Oh boy did I ever make a nice amount of money fixing people stuff. I loved coming home to a line of cars needing help.

Oh boy did I ever make a nice amount of money fixing people stuff. I loved coming home to a line of cars needing help.
First real cold snap every winter always translated into a fleet of tow trucks dragging in the "no starts". Easy money, push them inside, change the plugs and oil, let them warm up a little and boom, fired right up 99.9% of the time.

You have folks who just don't care buying up old cars and sending them overseas.

hey, cash talks bullshit walks.. i have friends that had cars for sale for quite some time.. people would try to low ball and all the other related crap.. someone from overseas sent money and arraigned shipping. i'd do the same thing. you don't like it then maybe you should go around and buy them all..

^^^^^Hey, don't tell me about what I do or don't like and what I should do ok...? Did someone wake up on the grumpy side of the bed this morning...? :poke:

Last edited:
Shitty slant six is a young guy 19 or so and hangs out on the coffee thread, we try to pass on what we know. He is definately picking it up. @shittyslant6

^^^^^Hey, don't tell me about what I do or don't like and what I should do ok...? Did someone wake up on the grumpy side of the bed this morning...? :poke:

you are complaining that people are selling cars overseas. i just stated why they are doing it and how not to have it happen. take it how you will. makes no difference to me.

you are complaining that people are selling cars overseas. i just stated why they are doing it and how not to have it happen. take it how you will. makes no difference to me.
i made a post on the internet and again you are telling me about what I'm doing ...how pretentious of you...

Last edited:
like is said. if you don't like the cars going overseas then go buy them. otherwise it doesn't really matter what you think, now does it. you sound like the clowns that cry about flippers. they won't put the money or time into finding and buying cars but ***** about the ones who do and choose to resell them..

Last edited:
Hey EVERONE we all have to wake up they are going overseas because WE just don't make any money over here. Especially the working people. Mechanics, Truck drivers, retail, waitresses, general labor etc. Prices have doubled and tripled, so than should wages. They are trying to run us dry. So any ideas out there? Help is needed out here. signed Just a poor old guy. ps I'm not picking on anyone.

To me there's hotroding and then there's restoring and all the stuff in between.
Hotroding is getting an old car running/driving safe and then making it better running.... and the fluff may or may not come later/ not so much $$ in the old days.

Then there's the resto where you take everythng apart and make it all perfect. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I agree with you 100%.
Nowadays, I thoroughly enjoy taking a car and making it complete, safe, and road worthy with what you have other than safety things being new more than ''restoring'' something.
Been there, done that with restorations.
There's a lot more fun in fixing up a shitty 318 and making it reliable than buying a crate engine or building a 700 H.P. bullet.
And then drive it with lousy paint and all.
A lot of people lose sight of having fun with tinkering with cars.

A case in point comes to mind when I was 20 years old and I had a '73 Road Runner big block 4 speed that had no oil pressure.
It was 30 below zero and I ended up chiseling off the oil pan that some idiot siliconed on and changed the bearings that were screwed up with yes, good used ones that I scrounged from a local machine shop for free.
After the job was done, it got me another 4 months of driving until I could afford to buy a better engine.
I bet a lot of people wouldn't have done that, but I did, and it made me appreciate learning how to work on cars myself.
Sadly, I doubt this same scenario happens very much these days...

-
Back