has anyone tried to use a line-lok as a parking brake?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, so i pulled out all my emergency brake stuff, to get the hydraulic clutch master cylinder in, and now i am wondering.
i have a line-lok that i do not intend on using cause the cart is for the street. but, what if i hooked the line lok up to the front master cylinder, and when i go to park, i just pump the brakes a few times, and then push the button, as in a parking brake.

anyone see me haveing a problem with this idea? please enlighten me. thank you

I wouldn't use it as such. Brake system under constant pressure, I don't know, may cause a premature leak or failure maybe from being under constant pressure? Loose pressure, loose parking brake. I'm not speaking from experience just thinking out loud.

Lone lock with a toggle switch instead of a momentary switch would work as a e-brake. It doesn't work when the solenoid makes the battery go dead. LOL

well, you got a point. maybe ill take a center console type of e brake out of a old chevy at the junk yard.lol

Also the line loc will get very hot and burn out or blow the fuse if no fuse catch tie wire on fire just my 2 cents worth

Also the line loc will get very hot and burn out or blow the fuse if no fuse catch tie wire on fire just my 2 cents worth

That's worse than just running the battery down. lol

When I was building dune buggies.We bought a manual push/pull switch that was made to go into the rear brake line. I don't know if these are still available. They worked good on buggies.

You bet. A manual (non electrical switch ) would work. Plug the words "micro lock" into your Google box for more info. toolman

Mico Lock... Being I'm in the towing business I know about these but I haven't had one installed on any of my tow trucks in years as I've went to all class 5 and larger trucks with air brakes. AW Direct sells them mail order. www.awdirect.com

We use the manual lever type lock on the wrecker and works good with no problems

The line lock manufacturers advise against it heavily. The solenoid is not designed for long term. They swear it will fail if used as ebrake.

A manual hydraulic valve would work, thats how parking brakes work on some airplanes.

However they do leak down over time, so I don't know if I would trust it for being set for over a week straight until l tested it for a while. I have thought about this, being able to push on the brake pedal then close the valve,

OR, close the valve with no brake pressure and be able to do a burn out without smoking your rear brakes, don't know if that would lock the master cylinder though.

Look at this link, OBVIOUSLY NOT THIS VALVE, but something like it (made for brake fluid type stuff), I will keep looking for one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/600-WOG-1-4-BRA...aultDomain_0&hash=item35af6ff7c5#ht_500wt_922

Doing this crossed my mind when I did my rear disc swap, but I got the cables to work, so I didn't per sue it. Would be nice to have a small valve in line to your rear brakes with a small handle sticking out by left side of your seat. Probably would be smart to have it somehow spring loaded to the open position, or some sort of locking device that you need to depress before moving it to avoid a possible mishap while driving. Could you imagine slamming on your brakes and something in the car flies over and hits the valve handle, then you got locked rear brakes, do you think you would figure it out in time?

EDIT:

ah ha, found some

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=brake&_kw=&_kw=shut&_kw=off

or search brake shut off in ebay

Hi. Up here in Canada most provinces require that we have our vehicles inspected every year, I presume it's the same in the States. While a lever lock will work your car would not pass the inspection because your parking brake is supposed to be independant of your hydraulic brake system hence the cable operated system. Just something to think about before you install a lever lock. Bobby

Hi. Up here in Canada most provinces require that we have our vehicles inspected every year, I presume it's the same in the States. While a lever lock will work your car would not pass the inspection because your parking brake is supposed to be independant of your hydraulic brake system hence the cable operated system. Just something to think about before you install a lever lock. Bobby

good call! besides why take out the original parking brake? they work fine with the e brake...

When I was building dune buggies.We bought a manual push/pull switch that was made to go into the rear brake line. I don't know if these are still available. They worked good on buggies.

I also used these on buggies they work great! I have not built a buggy in probably 17 years and don't know if they are still available.

-
Back