Has anyone used an edelbrock thunder series carb on a BB stroker?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
the Thunder series 800 carb is a decent price has anyone used one on a Big Block stroker it looks like a single feed ? not sure though , if so good or bad?

the Thunder series 800 carb is a decent price has anyone used one on a Big Block stroker it looks like a single feed ? not sure though , if so good or bad?
Sure, I've used the 800 Edelbrock carb on a bunch of Mopar stroker engines. They make really good street carbs. The idle circuit in the Carter/Edelbrock design is much better than a Holley idle circuit so the engine will idle much smoother even with a big cam. The 800 flows well enough to get you up to the 600 hp range or so but after that you'll need dual Eddy carbs or switch to a big Holley.

Here is an article from roughly 10 years ago where I was running an Eddy 800 on my low deck 466. That was a great engine, it made about 475 hp at the rear tires and really honked on the street. Moparts on the Web - Main Index

As Andy pointed out....

A lot depends on what size engine and the power you intended to make. While a stroker (size????) of 451 could make good use of a 800 cfm carb on a street strip level, a 800 cfm carb on a 500 incher and 99% racer and isn't the best idea. ;)

Last edited:
73Dart360, is your inbox full?
I have one I won't be using, Endurashine finish, like new, with fuel inlet. Just pulled a couple weeks ago.
Pm (start a conversation) if interested.
Less than half of retail.

Last edited:
73Dart360, is your inbox full?
I have one I won't be using, Endurashine finish, like new, with fuel inlet. Just pulled a couple weeks ago.
Pm (start a conversation) if interested.
Less than half of retail.
Knuclle your inbox is full ,lets talk

Sure, I've used the 800 Edelbrock carb on a bunch of Mopar stroker engines. They make really good street carbs. The idle circuit in the Carter/Edelbrock design is much better than a Holley idle circuit so the engine will idle much smoother even with a big cam. The 800 flows well enough to get you up to the 600 hp range or so but after that you'll need dual Eddy carbs or switch to a big Holley.

Here is an article from roughly 10 years ago where I was running an Eddy 800 on my low deck 466. That was a great engine, it made about 475 hp at the rear tires and really honked on the street. Moparts on the Web - Main Index
Hi Andy i figured it was pretty decent carb 99 percent street car, i dont think my car will make 600 probably 550-560

The 800 Edelbrock will work just fine at 550 hp. You might need to fiddle with the jetting to get it dialed in. Nice thing about the Edelbrock design is that you can do most of the fuel curve tuning with the metering rods. Sometimes you need to also increase the secondary jets but most of the time you can dial those carbs in by just changing the metering rods.

I am running that carb and are pleased. It looks closer to stock and easy to tune.

I would prefer the 750 Holley DP I had overall for performance but the 800 is doing just fine and has some better manners for the all street car it has become.

-
Back