Have you ever noticed.....

-
Something I always wanted to ask you @Kern Dog , (and may be I have) Is your last name Kern and if so do you have relatives around Modesto?
Yeah, my name is Gregory Kern. If I have relatives in Modesto, I have never met them. My Fathers side has family back East, Ohio and Tennessee.

Yeah, my name is Gregory Kern. If I have relatives in Modesto, I have never met them. My Fathers side has family back East, Ohio and Tennessee.
My step Dad had cousins in Modesto. They are from Iowa and South Dakota. Thanks, You may be a shirt tail relative of them.

I grow tired of the people who talk about their degrees and how much money that are going to make. I work with a lot of younger people and most are women. It'd be nice if they STFU and actually do some work. I just had this conversation about why I don't do lunch with them, the answer was something like" I am not interested in sitting at a table and listening to these people talk during my lunch break" Yeah, I can only tolerate certain people in life, its getting worse as I get older. I have some college under my belt, trade school, a couple of Associates degrees in two different fields, I do my job and keep my mouth shut. With deadbeat coworkers, someone has to do the work. I have noticed that a lot of the modern "educated" people are dumb as a stump. Its a shame for what a 4 year degree costs. ......:)

Last edited:
In the service I have also noted the psychology of people that need to impress others with their knowledge or accomplishments have not yet truly mastered self-confidence. Usually there isn't really a necessity to impress others unless you are partially trying to convince yourself.

You walk up to some acquaintances, share your input with others, and if they ignore you, you move on.
Someone asks a question on the forum, you give the advice, and they take it or leave it.
Someone else disagrees with you, you CAN make your case, and drop it.

It really doesn't matter what others think until they try to manipulate or hurt you or the ones you care about. -unless you truly care about them, family, friends, etc.

If they cannot listen, you certainly do not need them.

When Rob and I went to the Mopar Nationals in 2011, Jim Laroy (a successful engine builder here) and Richard Ehrenberg (formerly of Mopar Action) talked with us for hours. They let us pick their brains clean of Mopar knowledge. They engaged us with enter-actional dialog.

Being self centered is human nature. Some are worse than others. A guy I work with just had his gall bladder removed. Now, I consider him one of the best friends I have. However, he has been passin around pictures of his removed, rotten gall bladder. Enough already. I don't wanna see that nastyness. I mean seriously.

He constantly interrupts other peoples' stories with "that ain't nuthin, one time I........"

Yeah he's one of those. But nonetheless, I love him dearly like a brother. Sometimes though, I just tell him to shut up.

Last edited:
I've been trying to teach my son for years. You have two ears and one mouth. Therefore you will learn twice as much if you close your mouth and listen!!!

Reading the book of James puts it all in perspective.

I've been trying to teach my son for years. You have two ears and one mouth. Therefore you will learn twice as much if you close your mouth and listen!!!
Reminds me of my son, he never played football, but knows it all. Bad thing about it , he`s always right, would make a good coach. Come to think of it he is an assistant, for his sons 1st year flag football team, He has the knack/ he`s a salesman for att, makes about 3 times the $ I ever made !
Here, hold my beer and watch this !

Being self centered is human nature. Some are worse than others. A guy I work with just had his gall bladder removed. Now, I consider him one of the best friends I have. However, he has been passin around pictures of his removed, rotten gall bladder. Enough already. I don't wanna see that nastyness. I mean seriously.

He constantly interrupts other peoples' stories with "that ain't nuthin, one time I........"

Yeah he's one of those. But nonetheless, I love him dearly like a brother. Sometimes though, I just tell him to shut up.
Hey Rob, I have friends like that too. Best way to shut them up? Tell them "Yeah,he (enter name here) has been everywhere but the electric chair, and seen everything but the wind"

There has to be a happy place between ignoring the selfish blabbermouths and stepping up and telling them off.
Over the weekend, I went with the Wife to Portland for a Book signing event d=for an author that she reads. It was an even with multiple authors though.
These people are a lot like (I am assuming) Actors, artists and athletes: Concentrated on themselves, promoting their work and being reassured that they are the greatest.
When people tried to change the subject to talk of something else, these egotists found ways to steer the topic of conversation back to themselves and their drama.

There has to be a happy place between ignoring the selfish blabbermouths and stepping up and telling them off.
Over the weekend, I went with the Wife to Portland for a Book signing event d=for an author that she reads. It was an even with multiple authors though.
These people are a lot like (I am assuming) Actors, artists and athletes: Concentrated on themselves, promoting their work and being reassured that they are the greatest.
When people tried to change the subject to talk of something else, these egotists found ways to steer the topic of conversation back to themselves and their drama.[/QUO
Sounds like professional athletes !!

The fine line. Relating to someone by telling them your experience to make them feel understood....and telling someone your experience to make yourself feel better.

The fine line. Relating to someone by telling them your experience to make them feel understood....and telling someone your experience to make yourself feel better.
I probably come off as a know it all. Don`t mean to be that way, I usually will throw in when I read something stated that I`ve done or seen, good/bad experiances with.

I probably come off as a know it all. Don`t mean to be that way, I usually will throw in when I read something stated that I`ve done or seen, good/bad experiances with.

But in your head or heart....if you are truly thinking you are enlightening the listener, then your INTENT is the driving force of your story or advice....not to necessarily be better than the other or "one up". If the theme of the conversation is to "one up" then let the BS fly....Ya?

anyway....crazy world. I find myself trying to be cool and tell stories. Usually I go away telling myself to not do it again, or make sure others get to tell one too or encouraging them to let me see who they really are.... I dunno crazy world....great day.

Funny that you mention Dale Carnegie. I was going to reference the man in a quote I heard about him.
"People who are considered interesting are those that are interested in others".

It was suggested once on a performance review at work that I take a Dale Carnegie course...

But I didn't because it wasn't on company time....

I wasn't going to take one of those on my time... If work wants me to take one, they can do it while I'm on the clock...

-
Back