my 340 current set up
fresh rebuild
.30 over
eagle stock stroke crank
out of the box closed chambered eddy heads 60779
eddy air gap intake
1 inch hvh spacer
750 prform carb
cam is a Hughes SMC2336AL Intake Valve Lift Intake .512" Exhaust Valve .518 Intake Duration at .050"223° Exhaust Duration at .050" 236°
2500 rpm stall
10 to 1 compression
gears posi 3.91
full length headman headers

how much would these heads add as far as HP would it be worth the money ?

It's a stock stroke sb with a small cam. Having the heads done will make more HP but not sure with that engine you will be using them to there full potential. Now if your going to upgrade to a stroker or a high reving bigger cam 340 then it's worth it! Just my two pennys

Also Edelbrock said they will start production on the sb victor rpm head in March. May be better to hold off

wouldnt i bee in the same boat with the sb victor rpm heads having to up grade to a stoker tho ? the stroker would give me killer torque ... the stroker is a must when upgrading heads ?

We can port them for the application instead of a one size fits all cnc port....
immengines.com
Brian

Well I don't know you have to see what it's going to cost. If you want killer heads might be better to wait for those and sell the regular Eddys. If you don't think you will be going stroker or even a higher reving bigger cam 340 I think I would just have the heads checked out to make sure everything is ok, maybe while your heads are apart for the check have the shop do a basic bowl blend for a $100 or 2.

hummm yea i would upgrade the cam kinda wanted to keep the stock stroke .. i know it wont me a torque monster but it will rev out quick. i think i will wait for those to come out and see ... i wonder if all the ports are in the same location and i could still use my old intake rocker arms, and headers off my old eddys

If you put a bigger cam in to take advantage of the better flow, then you will have substantially more power...how much depends on the combo, but you could easily go north of 500hp with the right setup....depends on what your plans are for the motor.

I'm running that cam in my stock stroke, 9.2:1 360 and love it. But that's it's intended application. I'd agree with others, those heads with that work would be overkill and mismatched to the cam. IMO, take Brian @ IMM up on his offer! Have the heads worked to your combo. Plus your both in CA practically neighbors! Save on shipping with Hughes being in IL. Win/Win

We can port them for the application instead of a one size fits all cnc port....
immengines.com
Brian

...and he's within a respectable driving distance from San Diego so you could easily cruise them on up to Indio yourself! :cheers:

x2, give Brian at IMM a call and discuss what your goals are.

immengines.com
Brian

Given it's a 340 - this is your best solution. I think the CNC heads would make more peak power, but not necessarilly in the rpm ranges you want it. Brian can better tailor that for your package and use.

my goal was to run a bigger cam with maybe a ported air gap intake with the heads if i go this route with my 340, it would be nice to get 500 or more HP with just swaping out my heads and cam but still keeping my intake, 750 carb,rocker arms, and not having to tare into the motor again us to put a stroker kit in it

no i do not have picture of the heads there just stock out of the box eddy heads that are on the motor now

It's all about application if your going to increase the airflow of the heads you will need to install the correct cam to work with those heads and the intake will need to be matched to the heads as well! Compression should be brought up to assist with the heads as well! Everything changes once you get into a set of heads!

500 + HP is kind of a different animal. Is that a cast eagle crank in your engine? Do you have main studs? Stock rods? What pistons?

its a cast eagle crank flat top KB pistons and Rods are eagle Forged 5140 steel
i prolly stay around 500 hp not much more then that i think their cranks are only rated for 550hp what cam would you suggest with these heads ? i am not going to turn the motor past 6000 rpm i do have a updated oil pan and oil pump

I'm not sure what he can do with small block eddy heads but I'm having IQ52 AKA Laroy Engines do my big block eddy's and I can tell you first hand no one is doing what he is with those heads. I looked into upwards of the top 10 porters I could find and that people recommended. While to some it may seem like he has a happy flow bench, his engine builds make power that is undisputable.

I know there stroker cast cranks were snapping at less than 500hp in a lot of cases. Not sure about the stock stroke, you might be better off finding a stock forged 340 crank and having it worked.

damn less then 500 hp ? i didnt know they were that weak i seen that a lot of there stroker kits came with cast cranks but had no idea they were junk ... i know i wont ever see that kinda torque out of my motor ... maybe i will find one out of a early 340 and use it

That is the stroker cranks that have a bad rap. Not sure about the stock stroke eagles.

I've got 2 virgin forged steel 273 cranks I'm thinken of parting with. both are stock never been turned. one has the smaller pilot (1965) other is larger pilot (66-up)

immengines.com
Brian
THIS!!! ^^^^^^^
...and he's within a respectable driving distance from San Diego so you could easily cruise them on up to Indio yourself! :cheers:

THIS!!! ^^^^

Brian is indeed close by, capable and understanding not only on how things work togther but how well or not they will. He is not fly by night.

On the fully ported CNC heads, you can make a lot of power. Though I'm not sure of how you want the power to come in. The extra porting adds volume to the runner and can slow down the air and fuel charge enough to make the car act a bit crappy and lazy on the street. This and combined with a larger cam, which can create a larger problem or one with a larger sluggish RPM window before everything starts acting togther well.

Be careful on how large of a can you swap out to.

MRL here put togther a very nice combo package for a member on a stoke stroke 340 (IIRC) that made 470hp. The cam was not so large. But the heads were preped accordingly with the combination in mind as not to create a off balanced package.

Member (Brian) OU812 above can very well help you out with a thoughtful combination without the added expense of a stroker or CNC heads. (Which are all nice, but pricey. No sense paying double for the same gallon of milk right!)

thanks for the impute guys i will prolly keep the stock stroke upgrade my crank and have my heads ported and shop for a good cam for the the combo

-
Back