HDK Tubular Coil Over for Stock Steering

-
sorry for the delay.... my once a month / 3 day trips to Texas accelerated to every other week a few months back.......but the good news is , looks like I only have one more to make.

By the time I attempt to catch-up with everyone and everything....I loose half the week.

Hopefully,...back to full time (cough, cough) after Wednesday!

My chime in on the first batch of titty babies on this thread ---Man I had the vision of a spindle assembly being Held in place by a force field. No metal arms of any kind. I've got the force field functioning and I take a picture to send to my buddy. He forwards it to OB1 DARTH PRINCESS Star Wars somebody. They fly down and get all in my space about me copying something they thought of while drinking shroom juice on their planet. So I called captain freaking Kirk and spock! They said " wow what a bunch whining wieners". ----You copied me. You colored on my paper. Why can't we applaud folks "special cheers for Denny" for trying to take our antiquated mishandling ( at 120mph ) old MOPAR iron into the new age?? Unless you designed the first independent front steering & suspension system -- who are YOU to say ????-- little Susan pulled my pigtails and ran. ??! Go play candy crush in the back seat of your chebbie !! Ok. I'm done. ROLL DAMN TIDE. HDK all the way.

Healthy competition helps keep the prices coming down, not to mention availability, innovation and improvement.

Bench racing is bullshit, l for one am glad somebody is finally making modern crap for our cars.

Kwitcherbitchin before they (all of the innovators) get tired of the whining and vacate the market.

Love it. Kwithcherbitchin' !!! We need innovation and Denny is one bad malla falla -- his parts are on my lil Early A body! The front suspension quality outclasses the rest of my car !! Great quality. Fantastic design performance and craftsmanship. Just wait. I took it as a challenge. I'm not much on pictures - but I am killing myself, my friends , and my beer vendor. Come spring this lil ole Casper the ghost valiant is gonna be freaky. It's all HDK's fault. Bastage. The rest of the car will match the voodoo science of the HDK PACKAGE. Ha hahahaha

Put me down for waiting for an update too. I noticed there was a post going around on facebook saying you were taking orders but didn't list a price?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbup:

Don't forget about us B-body guys...:wave:

Is this set up lighter than the factory t bar?

I would venture to say yes. You're doing away with the stut bars and the T bars, granted the full tubular is going to be lighter yet, I bet this kit is a couple lbs lighter but we'll have to wait for denny to chime in to be sure.

I plan on being able to have a version one way or another to fit the early A's, the later A's, and the B /E bodies.

Denny

Hi Denny,

I haven't read all the entries on this post, but on page 5 someone asked about this kit on early A-bdys. I wanted to voice my OPINION for consideration. :)

I'm willing to bet that whatever the final configuration for the '67-76 A-bdys, that it will bolt in to an early A as well. My reasoning...

All the suspension parts are interchangeable between ALL A-bdys, '62 to '76, though there are some slight differences which should be taken into account, like not mixing '62 to '72 strut rods with '73 to '76 lower control arms. Also, the steering stops are different in '62 to '72 vs later (I recall that info from Tom Condran's book, though not the exact details).

Now, the other important piece of the puzzle is that it "APPEARS" that the front frame rails used on the '63 to '66 cars were carried over onto the '67 to '76 cars. The only difference being that the frame rails were moved 1.47" further apart on the later cars.

What I am basing this "assumption" on is that some time back, I noticed that the Auto Rust Technicians website showed nearly all, and more specifically, both the Upper Control Arm Mount and the Front Subframe Rails (both partial and full) Saf-T-Caps as being applicable to ALL A-bdys. I called them for confirmation, and was told "yes". That the full or partial front rail caps would fit them all.

Now, I haven't tried it (I found a complete early A front clip from torsion bar cross member forward), but I think the "pieces of the puzzle" fit.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Mike in FL

I am also on the list for a set of LCAs, right?

This may save weight overall, we'll see. That upper bracket is awfully heavy. I wish it was 4130 heat treated and half as thick. But it is a stout piece and the welds are a thing of beauty.

BTW, I will be using aircraft bolts (AN8-32A) for the shock, AN6-10A for the part that attach to the upper support. That puts solid bolt grip area at the shear areas instead of thread. Available at:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an8.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an6.php

Also, I am going to weld the little tube piece that extends into the shock tower into the hole so it definitely protrudes into the hole on the shock tower providing shear support. That tube could have been a touch longer but won't matter after it is welded in place.

Hi Denny,

I haven't read all the entries on this post, but on page 5 someone asked about this kit on early A-bdys. I wanted to voice my OPINION for consideration. :)

I'm willing to bet that whatever the final configuration for the '67-76 A-bdys, that it will bolt in to an early A as well. My reasoning...

All the suspension parts are interchangeable between ALL A-bdys, '62 to '76, though there are some slight differences which should be taken into account, like not mixing '62 to '72 strut rods with '73 to '76 lower control arms. Also, the steering stops are different in '62 to '72 vs later (I recall that info from Tom Condran's book, though not the exact details).

Now, the other important piece of the puzzle is that it "APPEARS" that the front frame rails used on the '63 to '66 cars were carried over onto the '67 to '76 cars. The only difference being that the frame rails were moved 1.47" further apart on the later cars.

What I am basing this "assumption" on is that some time back, I noticed that the Auto Rust Technicians website showed nearly all, and more specifically, both the Upper Control Arm Mount and the Front Subframe Rails (both partial and full) Saf-T-Caps as being applicable to ALL A-bdys. I called them for confirmation, and was told "yes". That the full or partial front rail caps would fit them all.

Now, I haven't tried it (I found a complete early A front clip from torsion bar cross member forward), but I think the "pieces of the puzzle" fit.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Mike in FL

I think you are correct......however, there is a slight difference in the upper shock mount that HDK utilizes for the early A's vs the 67-76 models.

on weight.....good question. As soon as I have the "production " pieces. (they are at the welder, but I have some K packages at the top of the list)......I will post the results.

I am also on the list for a set of LCAs, right?

This may save weight overall, we'll see. That upper bracket is awfully heavy. I wish it was 4130 heat treated and half as thick. But it is a stout piece and the welds are a thing of beauty.

BTW, I will be using aircraft bolts (AN8-32A) for the shock, AN6-10A for the part that attach to the upper support. That puts solid bolt grip area at the shear areas instead of thread. Available at:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an8.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an6.php

Also, I am going to weld the little tube piece that extends into the shock tower into the hole so it definitely protrudes into the hole on the shock tower providing shear support. That tube could have been a touch longer but won't matter after it is welded in place.

I have looked at putting the upper shock mount on a diet (3/16" vs 1/4").....but talked out of it every time. I have considered making ONLY that piece out of a thinner 1/8" chromoly or aluminum......something for me to concentrate on BETWEEN other projects.

all I would need to do is get a quote from the laser cutter / material supplier....easy peasy.

yes, you are on the list.....in the first run.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbup:

Don't forget about us B-body guys...:wave:

I got you.......good thing I love this stuff and thanks for keeping me humpin' (busy).

Correction to my last post. The little round piece that goes into the upper mount and protrudes into the shock tower does stick out just the right amount. 0.110 - 0.120 on the set I have. And I won't weld it in cause when I put the upper mount in and tighten the bolt that goes through the fender where the shock was I get a slight mismatch in the holes in the bracket and the shock tower. That can be adjusted with a thin (maybe 0.035-0.040) shim/washer. If the tube was welded in I would never have seen that mismatch and would have had a gap on the top.

Anxiously awaiting the LCAs. In the meanwhile I cannot get the pass side wheel off as one wheel stud and the lugnut seem to be locked in matrimony and as I try to get the lugnut off the darn stud is turning in the alum Lamb hub! Who knew the lugnuts should have been lubricated? Chrome lugnut, chromed wheel studs.

If it ain't one thing it's another...

hdk-logo%20160_zpsur2etivo.png
.Production photos released

Single lower control arm for coil-over conversion to eliminate torsion bars

(utilizes stock steering components)

07-15-3_zpsh112ycyq.jpg

07-15-1_zpsevrraxgt.jpg

07-15-2_zpssy2whkjh.jpg

.... More info: Search HDK Custom Mopar K-Frames on Facebook

Looks great!! Excited to see progress on this. When will full kits be available?

-Christopher

these first 5 sets are spoken for ....and will be "tested". After feedback...WFO production.

I am taking a set to the Mopar Nats for show (and hopefully order taking)

Thanks for the interest and the patience.....
Denny

Does the coil-over thread into that riser or is there a separate bracket?

07-15-3_zpsh112ycyq.jpg

Good eye.....
But the threaded bracket is for the Energy Suspension button head bump stop

....yet to be welded on are the shock mounts /brackets.

Just received the new / reworked brackets Friday morning.

-
Back