Head flow,vs. cam lift?......

-
I think theres a benefit to running a little more lift than peak flow of your head, say your 340@.600 if your cam only has .600 lift peak flow is only reached for a split second if you went .625 lift or so the peak flow will be hit twice and there would be more average time spent around peak flow.

Someone's been reading the right info.

Someone's been reading the right info.

that was always my way of thinking... unless you can hold the valve open for a long time at peak that number is not as big of a deal as low lift, but if you can hold it open then you can really make the peak numbers work for you

That is the way,I was taught as well. Rumble ,thinks like the guy who taught me(the little),I know.

That is the way,I was taught as well. Rumble ,thinks like the guy who taught me(the little),I know.
holding it open longer, the word there is duration, using more lift is harder on the springs.-------just my way of thiking--
but I have never been acused of being smart!--------lol-----:coffee2: bob

Using a water analogy again - if you have a typical garden hose with a spray handle that starts with a fine mist and goes to a stream as the handle is squeezed - once the water exiting the handle forms a stream - it's at max flow for that volume and pressure and squeezing harder just tires your hand. The smaller the hose, the earlier in the "sqeezing" the water forms a stream.

That's g stock, stock lift more duration, but who in the hell wants to run 4:88-5:16 on the gears on the street ? because while they have a stock'ish lift ...the duration is over 300 degrees with an insanely narrow lsa.

So we open the valve more to get the valve open longer in peak flow, makes up for that lag time somewhat of the air seeking the low pressure wave.

You either hold it open longer....or open it further, the flow characteristics dictate which and or how lift it can take . If the port stalls or backs up really bad at .520 lift.....then don't bother lifting it into reversion.

I gotcha 273. I'm with ya on that. It is amazing how well a s much power these new engines make. Add the computer for control and it is simply amazing.

I did notice that a out the air wolf heads. They don't really stall. Just slowly creep up with major lift. The longer you could hang the valve in that area, well, I think the word would be WOW! as your watching the dyno feed back. Ha ha ha

I think that were on the same page with this with the only dividing line of at which point would you go beyond the heads max flow point. Is it worth it in the street? Is it worth it It Your double duty car/light race car?

For any race application the ONLY numbers that mater are the last 85% to peak. Low lift flow and the other ramblings are not important to HP. Most heads are flowed at 28"{ and that does NOT tell the story. Higher depressions are used if you want to win. Low lift flow increases are seen as more reversion,but as more top end hp in mild combos if you don't F-bomb something up.

-
Back