Reaction score
Are steel head gskts still avail, and if so, from where please .. tia

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 232
  • P1010021.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 233
From your dealer? or summit racing?

They look like big bore gaskets. What do they fit?

there 340's . original from 69, last 2 I got,, left over from the dozen I bought.. Chrysler discontinued them in 70 or so.. so I bought a bunch, and intakes, to keep porting aligned..

Discountinued in the 70's??????? LOL, I know different. There available.

There was a loud outcry for sure, and I'm not saying that Chryco didn't re-continue them, but I wasn't taking a chance so bought a bunch.. and for a while, composition or copper seemed to be all that was avail.. here anyway..

I couldn't find them on Mancini's site. They have big block ones.

Back then 1970ish, a dude named Peter Wille,(pronounced Willy), was a close racing associate, father owned Chrysler Dealership, he ran an automatic shop(still in the family), and HE couldn't get em, he's the guy who gave us Mopar guys the heads up, they were gonna be scarce.. Maybe I got the last set?? lol..

Anyway, Peter will be at MATS with a few of his cars,, if you're there,, say hey.. eh.. lol gd nite..

Well .. My Chryco partsman just spent an hour looking, and superceding,, and can't find a steel head gskt,,. Anyone got a new part number..

And what do you Hi compression guys use,, composition??

Rumblefish,, where did you buy your last steel headgasket pls.. ?

Don't let Mitchell get a hold of them. I can see the e-bay ad now "NOS 340 steel head gaskets. Last known pair in existence. A steal at $3000 for the pair" LOL Sport

I am assuming you are looking for the steel shim head gaskets that are thin to get compression up, correct? If thats not the reason, then the rest of my post is useless, but if it is, read on

I know no one makes a steel shim gasket for the SB's, including mopar, only for BB's. The smallblock thin gaskets are now composition material and are nearly impossible to find (even chrysler has them on national backorder)...Mancini does have them though, I ordered two sets for myself (they are compressed thickness 0.024-.028" roughly) and when i ordered i believe they had a few sets still.

so there, cats outta the bag for those searching high and low for them..call Mancini
here is the link...unlike some people, im not going to flame you for not looking hard enough...good luck!
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopenupto40b.html

thnx mshred.. I'm trying to maintain my port alighnment, to the matching intake, and was hoping to find some more steel ones .. thnx for the link..

Hey mshred.. I ordered those head gskts, and guess what the billing says.. I misunderstood what you said.. but looks like the best avail..

Head Gaskets: MOPAR - "A" MOPP4120094 2 35.95
engine - up to 4.060"
bore (Composition
Material)
Total 71.90

hmmm .. wonder where Rumblefish got his gskts??? ..

and maybe I do have the last steel gskts, any offer over $100k will be considered.. lol

thnx very much.. I'm gonna start collecting these things,, mayby in another 40 yrs,, my kids will be able to retire .. lol thnx much

There's a set of steel ones on FeeBay now. You know the steel ones absolutely REQUIRE retorquing, right?

I called that guy up when I was looking. He is very expensive,and then to top it off even if i ordered more than one gasket set he wanted to charge me shipping on each one (and he isnt cheap in that regard either)...glad I found mancini had them

thnx very much.. I'm gonna start collecting these things,, mayby in another 40 yrs,, my kids will be able to retire .. lol thnx much

Well Mancini carries, so as long as you have a few for yourself you'll be good lol...when i called mancini to order i told them about the difficulty i was having finding them and that even the dealers are on 36 sets backorder, and he told me he's never heard that, they have no problem getting them

thnx StrokerScamp and mshred, appreciate your help..

My tin ones are 20 thou, so,the 4 - 8 thou diff, compared to the stock porting alignment, I can live with that, may lose a few h/p.. but so have I .. (hair too)

thnx for all the help FABO . ..

Yes, I'm sure I could, I was just hoping there would be some steel ones out there, and I haven't had very good experience with composition gskts, and hi compression engines. I'm hoping the quality is better these days. I'll try the Mancini one's.. It's not like I'm tryin for the NHRA record.. lol

-
Back