Head removal (noob) question

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm considering taking my heads off to have them checked out / freshened up. They are on my 360, still on an engine stand. After taking off the intake manifold, I can see what appears to me like a fair amount of carbon build up on the intake valves. It's kinda hard to see in there, but it's got a build up.

Is this anything to be concerned with? The engine is a reman with around 26k miles on it.

So if it is suggested to take off the heads, is it a very difficult thing to do? I have some decent tools, and torque wrenches. Or will I be opening a can o' worms due to the fact I've never done this before, and will I need to mess with the rocker arms? Can the heads be re-assembled and set up by the machine shop, so that I can just bolt em on with new gaskets?

We were all noob's once..........that said it isn't THAT hard, attention to details brings success, as does a manual, Factory, Motors, Chiltons, or Haynes. Get one, read it.
Things not covered in a manual; belts I use chalk to mark travel direction and which one, I use a piece of 2 x 8 with one end marked FRONT with holes drilled to keep push rods in order.

Good luck!

As said above READ,STUDY,PLAN, and then do. Mark everything so you don't forget where it goes later. Take pictures as yo take it apart. PLEASE ask all the questions you need to. FABO members will be ready with the answers. Good luck with your project. Keep us updated and pictures are always cool.
Mike

I'm considering taking my heads off to have them checked out / freshened up. They are on my 360, still on an engine stand. After taking off the intake manifold, I can see what appears to me like a fair amount of carbon build up on the intake valves. It's kinda hard to see in there, but it's got a build up.

If you are taking them in to be freshened up, the machine shop should take care of all that.

Is this anything to be concerned with? The engine is a reman with around 26k miles on it.

A little buildup is normal.

So if it is suggested to take off the heads, is it a very difficult thing to do? I have some decent tools, and torque wrenches. Or will I be opening a can o' worms due to the fact I've never done this before, and will I need to mess with the rocker arms? Can the heads be re-assembled and set up by the machine shop, so that I can just bolt em on with new gaskets?

If your intention is to take them to the shop, unbolt the heads and take them to them intact. Easy peasy. Unbolt the shafts and lay them aside so you know which way they came off, unbolt the heads, pull them and put the shafts back on.

Just be careful when you bust the head loose from the block they don't get away from you and end up on the floor, or worse yet your toe, lol.

There must some Junior Mechanic that can assist you.

Carbon build up on the Intake Valve is no big issue. Could be a combination
of many minor problems.

* Poor Gas
* Too Rich Carburetor
* Timing
* Worn Valve Guides
* Valve Seals {worn}
* Restrictive Exhaust System

-
Back