Header Nightmare

-

GoldDuster340

Reaction score
Well i wish i would of read warnings and posts on here about headers before i put a set on my car.
Sure my super comps look and sound great but the driver side has already scraped the ground twice and a chunk of metal out of them what a piss off. I hope they last the summer. Not about to change them now I'm having to much fun driving and want to be driving for the summer.
Also cause i know they are going to be a PITA take out since they were to put in LOL!

Anyway any ideas what i should go to, I'm not going to race the car or nothing just street cruiser its a 4 speed w/standard steering.
Maybe put back the stock manifolds? i do like the sound of headers.
Anyone have a pick of there under carriage of a duster with Dougs or TTIs like to see before i buy.

Thanks

I here ya bro My left header just kissed the ground the outher night.My fault I did not see the big dip in the road.

wow tti headers hang great i wish i would of bought them they tuck in very nice, what kinda price are they?

And thanks for the video was very cool to see them on a car like that!

Thank you, Sir; I'm very pleased with them.
We had to slightly shim the engine to raise it up a tad to get the proper fit, but it wasn't a huge issue.
These were the polished ceramic coated ones, and I paid $748.00 for them shipped direct from TTI. I went with a whole replacement exhaust from them, front to back. Really made a difference with my 340.

we need to get some of us together for a group buy of perfweld's stainless shorty's

Yes I would have put TTI headers in my 64 Signet had I built my Signet in 2008 but I didn't and now I've had same pair of Hooker Fenderwell headers since I built my Signet in 1989. Ya work with what you've got and using simple common sense gives you cause of action. Yes my pipes are also low but the gas shocks seem to do their job and there's always the adjustments on the torsion bars

Yes I would have put TTI headers in my 64 Signet had I built my Signet in 2008 but I didn't and now I've had same pair of Hooker Fenderwell headers since I built my Signet in 1989. Ya work with what you've got and using simple common sense gives you cause of action. Yes my pipes are also low but the gas shocks seem to do their job and there's always the adjustments on the torsion bars

Good point I just raised my front a bit about as much as i could to be level with the back.
I will give it a test run a soon as it stops raining here been two days of rain so rain rain go away LOL

I really don't know what's up with the people that design some of these headers.
I really think they just make them so they fit around the engine, and don't care where they end up under the car.
Take the McCandless/ProParts/ and who ever has them now. The latest ones have been redesigned, But the pictures I have seen of the redesigned ones still have the collectors pointing in different directions. Shouldn't they be level with each other, point straight back, and tuck up into the cutouts in the cross member? I doubt these guys have tried to build an exhaust system for them, or even tried to drive the car on the road.
Don't ever try to go to a car cruise/show where they have speed bumps in the parking lot, Unless you jack the front of the car up. $700 is way to much to pay for poorly designed bunch of tubes.

You can see in this picture how the pipe had to be tweaked to bring it back up to tuck closer to the floor board.

exaust4.jpg

Picture from Hemi Duster site.
These I think are the New Design.
You can see how the left side faces in and down, and the right side faces in and up. I would bet they still don't fit into the cross member cut out.
You can get this for only $779 2" or $879 2"- 2" 1/8 step header
And they are not even coated.

header_rear.jpg

Dougs and tti are the only two headers that don't hang low

I like Dougs because they are nice headers and less money than tti. Painted are in the $350 range, coated in the $600 are

How do Doug's do with a 4 speed setup? I know the TTI's need a z bar mod or change, but I don't know that I've ever heard much discussion on the Doug's stuff fitment wise, mainly just that they tuck in better. I was thinking about the generic Summit stuff because you can get ceramic for right around $300 or less. For that price I can be more careful around speed bumps, lol. If Doug's are only $350 painted though I think I could sacrifice some bling for some laziness.

Picture from Hemi Duster site.
These I think are the New Design.
You can see how the left side faces in and down, and the right side faces in and up. I would bet they still don't fit into the cross member cut out.
You can get this for only $779 2" or $879 2"- 2" 1/8 step header
And they are not even coated.

where they realy redesigned? i got the impresion they where just reverseenginered from an old set... they sure could have done alote better with just a few small corrections..

Anyone ever hear of these? are they any good, will they work on A bodies well? They are Hedmans. Thanks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78500/

i think there was a thread a year or two ago here on fabo about someone that tried them and i think the end resultwas that they dumped right on the steering centerlink but i could be misstaken,my gues from just looking at that kind of shorty header is that the driverside go straight down into the steeringbox

Ok, just got back from going to the store. There usually is a little gathering of cars at a hamburger joint near home. Last week I saw a '70 Dart Swinger, purple in color. Looks nice! I talked to the owner for some time tonight; it was there again this week. This car has the Hedman headers on it. Not the shorties, but the full length. PITA to install I was told! I saw where you have to disconnect the steering linkage when putting them in, but it has the original large starter with a lot of clearance there. They also tuck up real nice. Plus you don't need to break the bank to get them. So when I get around to it, Hedmans it will be.

-
Back