Header recommendation, 1968 Dodge Dart, 340 4speed

-

HemiMark

Reaction score
Any recommendations for headers on a 68 dodge Dart, 340 4 speed car?
Just a stock re-build on the 340, nothing special.
What say you??

Nothing special?

That's not the kind of bus you grew up riding.

TTi's....No excuses.

Hooker super comps hang too low and will get crushed going over curbs and speed bumps...

They look great and don't hang low but they were tight on my demon and rubbed a few spots.

Summit headers. As long as you don't have it ghetto low ridin, they work fine. They fit good. They are around 150 bucks.

Dougs D453

Have jegs match the 20% off that autozone does. Approx $500 for a ceramic coated set.

If I have to buy new headers, it's Dougs everytime.

Does Summit work with power steering?

Have fun with the Z bar if you use tti and sometimes dougs. The downleg need an S bend or moved to clear the tube.

If you want to spend an extra ~300 on tti, have at it. Not worth it in my opinion after having 5+ cars with each brand.

Summit headers. As long as you don't have it ghetto low ridin, they work fine. They fit good. They are around 150 bucks.

Agreed x 2. I cranked my front suspension up with A three quarter inch socket before I had it aligned and it helps keep the front end up off the ground. don't go over curbs whatever you do no matter what brand you get and trying to slow down for speed bumps a little also. ( i.e. don't drive like krazykuda !) LOL

Not only do the Hooker style hang down low their a PITA to get on and work around. Doug's are kinda pricey but after seeing how well they fit, how great the ceramic coating looks and how much easier they are to R&R I bit the bullet and bought a set.

Agreed x 2. I cranked my front suspension up with A three quarter inch socket before I had it aligned and it helps keep the front end up off the ground. don't go over curbs whatever you do no matter what brand you get and trying to slow down for speed bumps a little also. ( i.e. don't drive like krazykuda !) LOL

Incorrect with all headers, just the cheap long tube headers. That might be why Dougs and tti cost more. They fit better!

TTI shorties are the only ones I have actually seen clear both the power steering and a z-bar...

~ A-Body Headers ~

Doug's ~ D-453
* 4-Tube ~ Long Tube {Full-Length}
* Silver Ceramic Coated
* Pre-Polished
* 1 5/8" Primary Tubes
* 16 Gauge Material {.065" Thickness for the Primary Tubing}
* Thick Mounting Flanges {3/8" to 5/8"}
* 3" Collector
* 3-Bolt Flange
* Precision formed transition collector {Reduces back-pressure}
* Excellent Fabrication
* Good ground clearance
* Long life and durability
* 20 lbs. {Lightweight}
* $630 to $675

~ A bit 'pricey', but worth every damn cent. ~

~ Excellent quality costs money. ~

------- Or --------

Doug's ~ D-453-R
* Same as above, except 'Raw' steel headers.
* $439.95 at 'Auto-Zone'

I went all out for the tti, Fits great but finish looking ruff for 2 years, Ide probably try dougs next time.

its been proven orig hipo 68 to 70 manifolds flow just as good as any header.
and they never leak.
cant use headers in the F.A.S.T class

~ Bargain Basement ~

'Flow-Tech' ~ 13100-FLT

* Long Tube Steel Headers
* Painted {Black}
* 1 5/8 " Primary Tubing
* Tube Length = 37.5"
* 3" Collector
* 3-Bolt Flange
* 5/16 {.312"} Head Mounting Flange
* 18 Gauge {.049" Tubing}
* 26 lbs.
* Cost ..... $162.00

Biggest complaint, is a sometimes poor seal between the Header-Flange
and Cylinder Head.

Though advertised with a 5/16" {.312"} Flange, the flange-header plate is
closer to 1/4" {.250"}.

Advertised as a 'non-fit' for A-Body cars with Power-Steering, but they do
fit.

A 'functional' Header for those on the proverbial 'Budget Plan'.

its been proven orig hipo 68 to 70 manifolds flow just as good as any header.
and they never leak.
cant use headers in the F.A.S.T class

and the point is? those aren't exactly low dollar stock type of engines. you don't think they would run headers if allowed?

-
Back