Header Tube size.

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
Building a 426 big block Dodge. 10.5-1 pump gas motor. Edelbrock RPM performer heads dual plane intake AED 850 ho carb. Solid lifter Lunati cam .546/.556 with .243/[email protected] on a 110 LSA

I am looking at 1-7/8 Primary TTI Header with 3-1/2 " collector. Will that be a proper size for my combo. This motor should work from 2500-6600 rpm.

CRAP. Just looked again on the TTI site and the 1-7/8 header wont fit an A body? WTF. who else makes a header that fits?

the only header that fits the a-body with the low deck from TTI is the 1 3/4" primary with 3" collectors. i have these on my 67 dart. fit great but i am prob giving up a few hp with the tube diameter. you can run the hooker fenderwells. they come in 2" and i think 2 1/8". or if you can find a pair of proparts headers they are 2" under chassis

the only header that fits the a-body with the low deck from TTI is the 1 3/4" primary with 3" collectors. i have these on my 67 dart. fit great but i am prob giving up a few hp with the tube diameter. you can run the hooker fenderwells. they come in 2" and i think 2 1/8". or if you can find a pair of proparts headers they are 2" under chassis

Well maybe i will not build the 426 then and just build a mild 383? Would hate to spend all that money on machine work to kill 75-80 hp off the motor with small headers.Will make some calls today and see what i can come up with.

they make a 2" header for a body with a 440. i have heard the you can make them fit on a low deck but they take a lil persuasion.

i dont think you would be giving up 70-80 hp with a smaller header unless you were well above 600hp. if its a 500hp engine i bet you would be loosing maybe 30-40 hp with the smaller tube header. my 383 is stock displacement so i am still prob in the realm of efficient exhaust with the 1 3/4" primary and 3" dual exhaust.

Car Craft did an article a few years ago on a 700hp big block Chevy. They tried 7 different sets of headers and found that even the smallest header ( 1 3/4 ) was within 30 hp of the 2 1/8 headers. The 2 1/8 headers were dyno specific headers the had 3 inches of straight coming out of the port which is worth a bit of hp in itself. The difference between that your going to see is pretty insignificant.

don't forget schumaker they make headers for a bigblock a-body. u can check them out at engine-swaps.com 361-440 engines

If you are that concerned about losing power look into getting a set built. Spoke to a shop that builds them, the price was about double of TTI's but they were a stainless step header with merge collectors......which from everything I have been reading are the way to go if you are after as much power as you can get out of your combination. And if they are built for your car you know they will fit well.......

Thank you for the reply everyone. The Schumaker headers are smaller yet, only 1-5/8tube. Will talk to TTI and engine builder tomorrow and come up with a plan.

when i built my engine i had the schumacher headers, i got them because they simply fit the best. i could get them in and out while the engine was in the car. i took them off because i wanted the 3" x pipe exhaust from tti so i ordered the complete exhaust from engine to bumper. the TTI are a bit spendy but they will be the last set i have to buy and will never have to worry about them.

You can also adjust for exhaust packaging issues with the camshaft design.

I spoke to my engine builder this afternoon, looks like the 1-3/4 " header will work fine.

does tti make a 2" to fit an a-body?

I have used the 2" primary TTI headers in 2 builds so far, a 440 '67 Dart, and a 383 '67 Barracuda. I didn't bother reading the directions on the headers, and only after did I read they won't fit a low deck with stock port location heads. Oops.. They were MUCH tighter on the low deck, they lightly touch the bellhousing area of the block on the passenger side, and lightly touch the mini starter on the drivers, but not enough to cause any issues at all. If the Edelbrocks raised the ports at all, the fit would be MUCH improved. The only fitment issue I cannot address, is that I used a motor plate on both builds, so I don't know how fitment around stock style motor mounts would be. Good thing I prefer motor plates.

-
Back