Headers Dougs vs direction manuel.

-

DGÉ

Reaction score
Bonjour, j'ai installé des en-têtes mais mon coupleur de direction manuel se bloque sur les en-têtes, que faire, mer
Hello, I installed headers but my manual steering coupler hangs on the headers, what to do, thank you dgé
ci dégé

Bonjour, j'ai installé des en-têtes mais mon coupleur de direction manuel se bloque sur les en-têtes, que faire, mer
Hello, I installed headers but my manual steering coupler hangs on the headers, what to do, thank you dgé
ci dégé
Pictures, car, motor, ?

Just had one here did the same thing. TTI's But I installed the same set on another car and fit perfect. I would say quality control. One set fits and then its "They think they fit" "They think they fit" "They think they fit" "I know they'll fit" "I know they'll fit" "Awe chucks Mine don't fit" All you can do is bang them in or send them back, LOL

They tell you to put tape on the coated sets so they don't get scratched installing them. Then your suppose to beat them around to get them between things. That steering column coupler is always an issue. Bring that up on your next order see what they say. You'll laugh your *** off. "Nothing in this world is 100%" Except your $100.00 bills you send.

Need more information. How bad is the interference? Pictures?
Look at Flaming River FR1505M or Borgeson 313449 or 113449.

Just had one here did the same thing. TTI's But I installed the same set on another car and fit perfect. I would say quality control. One set fits and then its "They think they fit" "They think they fit" "They think they fit" "I know they'll fit" "I know they'll fit" "Awe chucks Mine don't fit" All you can do is bang them in or send them back, LOL

They tell you to put tape on the coated sets so they don't get scratched installing them. Then your suppose to beat them around to get them between things. That steering column coupler is always an issue. Bring that up on your next order see what they say. You'll laugh your *** off. "Nothing in this world is 100%" Except your $100.00 bills you send.
Yep, "close enough, is never good enough"!

Loosen the bolts that hold the plate the steering shaft runs through and push the "WHOLE THING" over to the driver's side of the car and tighten it down. Done.

What car do you think this is in? Shim motor over at mounts, or take a hammer and bump the headers, "marteler les tuyaux"

Sometimes it helps to put a 1/4" thick shim between the motor mount and frame/bracket. Also check the motor mounts to be sure they are not compressed/sagging. You can also usually move the steering column quite a bit, like RRR says.

These cars were built with some really rough tolerances. What fits perfectly on one car may hit everything in sight on another. Just the way it is with these things and headers are the worst when it comes to A bodies!

TTI has engine location measurements. Check them against yours and make any required adjustments. Still no guarantee of a clean fit. BTDT with TTI stuff before.

65 A engine offset only 5/8 inches to passenger side? The crank cl from frame rails difference is 1 1/4 ..hmmm..have to check that out.

You probably already know this but I'll add it for an FYI; all Mopars have offset drivelines. It makes room for the steering gear and shifter mechanisms whilst also aligning the drive train with the rear end pinion.

65 A engine offset only 5/8 inches to passenger side? The crank cl from frame rails difference is 1 1/4 ..hmmm..have to check that out.

It's the math... 2 * 5/8" = 10/8 or 1 1/4"

take 20" between rails and a 5/8" offset. One measurement is 9 3/8", the other is 10 5/8"... 1 1/4" difference in the tape.

It's the math... 2 * 5/8" = 10/8 or 1 1/4"

take 20" between rails and a 5/8" offset. One measurement is 9 3/8", the other is 10 5/8"... 1 1/4" difference in the tape.

You lost me at - 2 * 5/8" = 10/8 or 1 1/4". ......................2 5/8 does = 10/8 but it doesn't = 1 1/4???

Dust off the abacus. 2 * 5/8 = 10/8 (or 1-1/4). 10/8 = 8/8 + 2/8 (or 1 + 1/4. when simplified)
Well....................I'm a machinist and all my life 2 5/8 inches was = to 2.625 inches. 1 1/4 inches was always 1.250. How can 2.625 = 1.250??

Well....................I'm a machinist and all my life 2 5/8 inches was = to 2.625 inches. 1 1/4 inches was always 1.250. How can 2.625 = 1.250??

I see where the confusion is. "2*5/8" ≠ 2-5/8.

2 * 5/8 is saying 2 multiplied by 5/8, not the number 2-5/8.

[QUOTE = "DGÉ, post: 1973098549, membre: 55211"] Bonjour, j'ai installé des en-têtes mais mon coupleur de direction manuel se bloque sur les en-têtes, que faire, mer
Bonjour, j'ai installé des en-têtes mais mon coupleur de direction manuel se bloque sur les en-têtes, que faire, merci dégé
ci dégé [/ QUOTE]

OK thanks everyone, i'm almost done installing the engine and transmission and i think its going to pass (installed a Mustang universal joint, to replace the stock copler), thanks DG

Loosen the bolts that hold the plate the steering shaft runs through and push the "WHOLE THING" over to the driver's side of the car and tighten it down. Done.
That will move the column it won't move the coupler. That is what hits.. I'll get some pics of different cars as they come in. I did find that if you have a manual box and use a power column with the adapter it moves the coupler back. with manual steering this does help. I never install big tube headers on a power steering car. I installed 1 5/8 hooker headers on my Duster and had to bang them in with power steering also. The second picture is TTI race headers rear tube hit the shaft when the column was installed. A power steering car was terrible. He is a member he might post a picture.

DSCN1053.JPG

20171224_192527.jpg

20180101_184407.jpg

20171224_141707.jpg

That will move the column it won't move the coupler. That is what hits.. I'll get some pics of different cars as they come in. I did find that if you have a manual box and use a power column with the adapter it moves the coupler back. with manual steering this does help. I never install big tube headers on a power steering car. I installed 1 5/8 hooker headers on my Duster and had to bang them in with power steering also. The second picture is TTI race headers rear tube hit the shaft when the column was installed. A power steering car was terrible. He is a member he might post a picture.

View attachment 1715581051

View attachment 1715581053

View attachment 1715581056

View attachment 1715581057

You know you're right. I wasn't thinkin with a full tank of gas.

-
Back