Headers?

-

chargin'

Reaction score
I'm putting a 440 in my 1971 Dart.Looking for opinions on which header to get? I want 2 inch,and I'm using a mini starter and manual box.Also the car is column shift,but I plan on eliminating the linkages,and use a cable.TTI's are popular,and at the top of my list now.

Thanks,Sheldon.

Have you heard of DOUGS headers? I've never tried them but they have a good rep and are cheaper than TTIs.

Yes, I had a look at the Doug's headers,they look good.I have searched the threads,and was just looking for some input on some of the recent header designs,and people that were happy with the ones they have? I'll start a build thread on the car soon!

Attachments

• IMG-20130819-00179.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG-20131117-00112.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 890
I'm using them in my 76 duster with a 440 auto ,I had minor clearance problems at the manual steering box and both torsion bars. Overall a good fit.

Many years ago I did a big block demon. Put on the hooker fenderwells. Easy to go on and off if needed and didn't capture the starter. Didn't like the sound and had turning problems with tires hitting headers. My new big block demon is still under construction and I put the Schumacher tri-y's on. Again when I started it, I didn't like the sound of the exhaust with the open headers. The TTI's were ordered and I just finished putting them on last week. They went in easy by following the instructions that came with them. 2 small dents to clear the steering box and in they are. Couple of small things to do and should be able to start up in a week or so. Should have started with them in the first place. Now I have a set of tri-y's for sale.

Kenny B

I ran the TTI's on my 69 Valiant Drag car, loved them. Fit perfect. Didn't dent in for anything.BB manual steering, floor shift. If your mounts are correct they hit nothing, no denting in. I also made holes in pass wheel well to get to plugs.They were close to everything, but didn't hit anything. On a side note, I ran a JW glide case and adapter, they still worked perfect. Had to modify shifter a little by bending up.
Only negative, I ran a mid plate and you have to pull trans to pull starter. But how often to you pull the starter. 5 years with the starter I was running no issues.
I ran fender wells on my Duster, and hated them. too much heat in engine compartment, rubbed on tires, got caught on trailer door and bent. Had to cut out wheel wells.
I would run TTI's

I had Z bar issues hitting the starter and it was a mini powermaster, I agree clutch fork is a pain to clip in aswell so I built my own hydraulic clutch set up and it is smooth.

I wasn't aware that Doug's was makign a 2" header for B/RB A bodies?

TTI's would be my first choice.

Pro Parts/McCandles would be my 2nd. They are the easiest anda decent functional compromise.

As said before stay away from fenderwell headers.

I wasn't aware that Doug's was makign a 2" header for B/RB A bodies?

TTI's would be my first choice.

Pro Parts/McCandles would be my 2nd. They are the easiest anda decent functional compromise.

As said before stay away from fenderwell headers.

I didn't see them from Doug's either.This is going to be a mild street car,nothing radical...no fenderwell headers!

I've never had TTIs, but I have had two sets of the Pro Parts/McCandles Headers. Other than having to cut a couple holes in the inner fenders for a few pipes, there were no issues. Of course, a custom bellcrank was necessary to clear the #7 tube, but it wasn't a huge modification. The last set I used on a 71 Duster and this set I am modifying to use on a 65 Barracuda.

The Hedman B body headers will fit.

I'm putting a 440 in my 1971 Dart.Looking for opinions on which header to get? I want 2 inch,and I'm using a mini starter and manual box.Also the car is column shift,but I plan on eliminating the linkages,and use a cable.TTI's are popular,and at the top of my list now.

Thanks,Sheldon.

I have used the 'TTi' #383440-134 with a 1 3/4" Tube Size.

Perfect fit, and beautifully constructed.

TTI383440-134LS.jpg

I feel like a leper or something I have and like the hooker fenderwells I have and have also used the headman hustslers also a fenderwell,my wheels/tires do not rub,also have mini-starter..mine are 2" and no dings to make fit,plugs dont seem to be an issue either,had to relocate master cylinder and lines but no big deal..seems pretty easy and straightforward to me,easy to get headers/engine in or out in a short timeframe...guess it's a matter of opinion or what you like,havent used the other ones mentioned so I have no comment but looks like they'd be a pita and tight but I dont know they may be great..seems alot of guys like them but I'll keep my winged warriors...

I feel like a leper or something I have and like the hooker fenderwells I have and have also used the headman hustslers also a fenderwell,my wheels/tires do not rub,also have mini-starter..mine are 2" and no dings to make fit,plugs dont seem to be an issue either,had to relocate master cylinder and lines but no big deal..seems pretty easy and straightforward to me,easy to get headers/engine in or out in a short timeframe...guess it's a matter of opinion or what you like,havent used the other ones mentioned so I have no comment but looks like they'd be a pita and tight but I dont know they may be great..seems alot of guys like them but I'll keep my winged warriors...

I`ve got a set of 2" T T I headers that I bought off of a guy in kansas. there were 2 tubes hammered pretty good, that I staightened. had them mocked up on the engine stand for grins. the bolts in no.1 and 2 have to be really long for my alum. heads, and they won`t clear the tubes that way. if some one wants them for what I paid for them "$400" (plus shipping) I`d be willing to part w/ them. the long bolt or stud deal wouldn`t be a problem w/ cast iron heads. he had them on a 10 sec. 440 dart.-----bob

Many years ago I did a big block demon. Put on the hooker fenderwells. Easy to go on and off if needed and didn't capture the starter. Didn't like the sound and had turning problems with tires hitting headers. My new big block demon is still under construction and I put the Schumacher tri-y's on. Again when I started it, I didn't like the sound of the exhaust with the open headers. The TTI's were ordered and I just finished putting them on last week. They went in easy by following the instructions that came with them. 2 small dents to clear the steering box and in they are. Couple of small things to do and should be able to start up in a week or so. Should have started with them in the first place. Now I have a set of tri-y's for sale.

Kenny B

Kenny is your car a 4spd? just wondering if there was a z bar issue?

I`ve got a set of 2" T T I headers that I bought off of a guy in kansas. there were 2 tubes hammered pretty good, that I staightened. had them mocked up on the engine stand for grins. the bolts in no.1 and 2 have to be really long for my alum. heads, and they won`t clear the tubes that way. if some one wants them for what I paid for them "$400" (plus shipping) I`d be willing to part w/ them. the long bolt or stud deal wouldn`t be a problem w/ cast iron heads. he had them on a 10 sec. 440 dart.-----bob

I would like them! Can you send me a pic? I'm in Canada.

Thanks,Sheldon.

-
Back