Headers

-

Demon Jack 71'

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 4-speed that needs new headers.
Hedman vs Hooker & Why?
Or other?

Demon #4.jpg

Budget. Hedman or look alike copy
Better fit, no underhang/ tangles with the steering, but more money.........Dougs
Probably?? better for very high performance, Hooker. Get out your wallet

I’ve been researching current offerings myself as I ran cyclone’s in the early 90’s. TTI and Dough’s seem to be the most popular today. I’m actually thinking TTI shortys as I plan to do a 4 speed conversion. Full length you will have to either purchase or modify your clutch bracket from what I gather. That green looks great on your Demon.

Catch Doug's D450s when they are on sale, they fit well and seem to last longer than the cheap brand X headers.

Catch Doug's D450s when they are on sale, they fit well and seem to last longer than the cheap brand X headers.

The Doug's 450s are for the early a-bodies, 453 fit 67- later a-bodies.
They are often offered at 20% discount at AutoZone, free shipping, other retailers are known to price match.
Cheers

Welcome. Doug's or your Hedmans are solid choice for a stock to mild build 340. (Especially if stock iron heads.) TTI value comes from more custom and/or performance builds that require design change. (But of course you pay for that customization. Thus why more expensive.) I run Hooker to a low deck big block in my Duster. They are reasonably priced. But are a little cumbersome.

Hedman hustler with drivers side slip tube...1.75 primary tubes...you will love em....seems I ran an old blackjack that torsion bar ran through....

Funny thing, no Hedman's for me, only Hookers!

I agree...

I like Hookers...

The only problem with them is they hang low and eventually the low hanging tube gets crushed if you drive them on the street...

Unfortunately, I had fat finger syndrome. I meant D453, but typed on D450. that's what happens when you get old and can't the the danged keyboard. LMAO

You just have to decide for yourself what you want to spend. If you can stand 1K bucks of more, go for the coated TTI or Dougs. If not, then Hedmans or Hookers. I like the Hedman tight tube shorties. With a mild to moderate build you're giving up VERY little and you gain a TON of ground clearance. It would be a no brainer for ME.

oh and welcome aboard.

Cheaply? Summit Racing. 3/8 flanges, best cheap fitting header I’ve used. (3 times)

Stepping up in price, Doug’s or TTI, excellent fitting headers though my TTI’s did need a minor ding.

I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 4-speed that needs new headers.
Hedman vs Hooker & Why?
Or other?

View attachment 1716099772

they both suck, hang low, cover the #5 and #7 plugs and tend to burn wires. do yourself a favor and save longer and spend the money on a good set of headers that fit properly like the TTI or Dougs. you'll be much happier in the long run.

-
Back