Heads are done!

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Ported by Larry Smith, along with a valve job and .004 shave on the decks to ensure they are flat.
Flowed with a 4.150 bore.

i0000010(3).jpg

FB_IMG_1525988144032.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988125451.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988149025.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988138283.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988122048.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988153874.jpg

FB_IMG_1525988133041.jpg

FB_IMG_1526072827184.jpg

FB_IMG_1526072786159.jpg

What is it about his bench that always shows such a high flow rate at .100"? 90 something cfm @ .100" is huge. J.Rob

What is it about his bench that always shows such a high flow rate at .100"? 90 something cfm @ .100" is huge. J.Rob
Hit him up on FB and ask him. I spent a half hour on the phone with him the other day, had a really interesting conversation. I bet you two could talk for hours.
What do you think about the rest of the flow numbers J. Rob?

Hit him up on FB and ask him. I spent a half hour on the phone with him the other day, had a really interesting conversation. I bet you two could talk for hours.
What do you think about the rest of the flow numbers J. Rob?

I've asked to no avail. Looks like nice work and somewhat unconventional methods/angles. J.Rob

Mopar small block head curse, looks like full boogie j head numbers up thorough .500 lift

My opinion....great numbers.

I had one set of heads do 93 @.100.... a set of stock eliminator j heads.

Mopar small block head curse, looks like full boogie j head numbers up thorough .500 lift

My opinion....great numbers.

I had one set of heads do 93 @.100.... a set of stock eliminator j heads.

You either used a 30 degree seat angle or left the sparkplug out. Flow window or curtain just is not there with a steep seat at that lift. J.Rob

You either used a 30 degree seat angle or left the sparkplug out. Flow window or curtain just is not there with a steep seat at that lift. J.Rob
I looked thinking the same thing, Idk what to tell ya, they peaked at 228cfm.

Ramm thanks for bringing that up
anyone but me use a 30 degree seat with short HR cam in MAgnum?
all that work and no tubes or relocate the pushrod?

300 @ 6 is extremely optimistic number for and Eddie not tubed with a 2.02 valve
Look at the bowl, and short turn width.
You Get into a battle, you have to widen the ssr but your sense is telling you not to grind it down that short to get there.
He's in good shape with those heads, should be very happy.

If i where an airmolecule i would be in a hurry to get past those ports,looks very nice!

Larry did my trickflow. Excellent porter AND REASONABLE PRICES
My guess, you flow the heads on a different bench with a more correct bore size (4.030) it will change some things. If the air attaches to the bore adapter properly, enlarging the bore on a really refined port will make it go turbulent at or around .500 lift.
There's also not very much bowl in the OOTB heads to do a nice Venturi with 2.02 valve size. What matters most...if the engine makes good power for the parts involved, and the car runs numbers...then it's good. Throw the flow sheet in the trash.

I was just about to ask if your heads will be sitting up top and on a 4.150 bore. I had a set of heads ported and reflowed on a 4.03 & not the 4.125 like my guy did. BIG difference in numbers, BIG!

It's all relative. I know numbers would be different with the 4.040 bore I'm running. I don't feel one bit cheated, and I'm pretty sure the port job will be worth what I paid in smiles.
I have seen the numbers on other port jobs. I picked Larry because I believe he can milk out whatever these heads can give without tubing or moving the pushrods.I feel like it was a good deal.

And I just want to say;

I’m not busting balls or bummin on yea because....

I’d be happy with the work as well. Numbers aren’t everything not to mention.....

Larry has a good reputation

I’ll find my numbers and post some differences on them BUT.....

Flowing on two different benches by two different operators..... I’m trying to say let’s not nit pick & bench race the hell out of things.

It's all relative. I know numbers would be different with the 4.040 bore I'm running. I don't feel one bit cheated, and I'm pretty sure the port job will be worth what I paid in smiles.
I have seen the numbers on other port jobs. I picked Larry because I believe he can milk out whatever these heads can give without tubing or moving the pushrods.I feel like it was a good deal.
And that's what really matters, that you are happy, AND got your money's worth...you'll know when it all done. I was not trying to knock your post, just pointing out things I've learned and seen....

Those heads are going to cost you !!!
You tires are not going to last you,you definitely need some drag radials for track ...
Congrats on get them done,can not wait to see it at track
:thumbsup:

My guess, you flow the heads on a different bench with a more correct bore size (4.030) it will change some things. If the air attaches to the bore adapter properly, enlarging the bore on a really refined port will make it go turbulent at or around .500 lift.
There's also not very much bowl in the OOTB heads to do a nice Venturi with 2.02 valve size. What matters most...if the engine makes good power for the parts involved, and the car runs numbers...then it's good. Throw the flow sheet in the trash.

100% correct from what I've seen. The port NEEDS some chamber and cylinder to "hang" on to so it doesn't go turbulent. Also Brian absolutely nails it on the venture comment. Pic forthcoming. J.Rob

-
Back