Heads

-
by having a higher lift and 10.5 swept volume it will flow more air, also the steeper the ramps on the cam will open and close faster creating more flow. the heads have the velocity ,the cam doesnt, and it should make over 400 hp set up right but the bozo who did the rebuild did it all wrong.

in other words his heads outflow his camshaft,you answered your own question on the camshaft lift rumble

bjr you quoted my reply that the cams too small for the heads and again state it in your reply.

higher the lift higher the flow #s yes to a point rumble

think of an engine as a giant air pump, if lift is increased flow will also.

thanx for enlightening me bjr, appreciate your professional consultation lol

I don't know how I answered my own question to you, but,if you wouldn't mind so much about how a cam helps the heads flow velocity, I'm ears.

The biggest problem im having is the guy who built my motor "does not work on those cars anymore" just a standard shop now for normal service.

Oh oh..........

Now folks - if we can stop the p1ssing competition - lets look at a few facts:

A - tha cam is a BABY , its a Hydraulic with .480 lift and a very medium duration of 230 @ .50

B - We DONT know what tyre height he's running - so the gearing cant be assumed to be too low.....(Dan whats the tyre size?)

C - Hes running an 8 3/4 rear end, thats a lot of inertial mass to turn with a 318

Reviewing all the facts...here's the possible issues :

1. Suspect head flow
2. Suspect mixture
3. Suspect cam timing (the "quoted statement" above makes me think we have assembly issues...)
4. Unknown gearing (tyre height)
5. Suspect compression

I suggest Dan run through the std checks: Comp, A/F, timing, Cam timing

and if no issues (which I SERIOUSLY doubt) :

Rip the heads, tune the carb , re-degree the cam , make sure your running a DP intake, curve the dissy to 34 all in , all in by 2400

and go run a flat 14.

Just DONT ANYONE say that cam is too [email protected] is a VERY mild cam.(or am I missing something?)

think of an engine as a giant air pump, if lift is increased flow will also.

Hummmm, really?
Once again it depends on the head porter and how he ports heads.

If a head peaks flow @ .450 and loses flow @ .550 by some 10 cfm's how is the cam going to increase flow by opening the valve further?

no more comments on what you quoted me as saying bjr?

After reading more of your responses there not worthy of any response from me, but thanks for the good laughs though.

Sorry Dan for the hijack, if you'll follow what we talked about on the phone you'll be fine. You have my # call if you have a problem.

mal, I agree and if the cam was in the .525 range it would put out over 400 hp

will the heads flow enuff to make the power or will the head stall.

3762, can you answer my question on how a cam makes the heads flow more?

by allowing the valve to open more and create more flow bjr, Dans heads dont bjr.you had no reply to my post other than all 360s didnt come out with 72 cc chambers,lol, I agree, your a wanna be race machinist and have nothing to say on my comments.you just got an overinflated ego and got knocked down but a kniw nothing like me haha.

sublime swinger has it right dan, listen to him. been fun but time to move on.

dont give up dan, just dont listen to bjr ,sorry you have this problem, but im pretty sure its an easy fix, if not theres always small claims court. Im not mad, just trying to help ya out .

Your answer to me was;

"By allowing the vlave to open up more for more flow" or "think of an engine as a giant air pump, if lift is increased flow will also."

Your kidding right. Hold on dude. If the valve opens up more, and the heads can not handle the the amount of valve opening, how does this new lift help the heads flow more?

(It doesn't)

lol, I agree, your a wanna be race machinist and have nothing to say on my comments.you just got an overinflated ego and got knocked down but a kniw nothing like me haha.

Having visited a number of people on this board, I have had the pleasure of not just talking with a few of the members, but also seeing there (Pro) work shops or home garages.

Theres a number of talented people on this board and a few that out right out school this 20 year mechanic hands down and backwards. A coment like above is simply a childish cheap shot that has NO merit and is absoultely not just only wrong, but 100% wrong.

If you read what he wrote, he not only answered, but also questioned you while having noticed your failure to reply or failure to give a correct reply or complete one.

Your comments and some of your "TECH" advice are of someone of about 18 years old just learning the ropes. In Example;
answered rob

OK, yet again, third time, maybe I'm blind, I don't know, but, could you show me and tell me the answer?

if ya want to sell your current heads ill take them off your hands.

rumble? first off this is about what dan has for heads ok? 2nd ,if you scroll all the posts I didnt start the trouble. what did bjr answer for me? I wrote my thoughts and bjr posted them as a quote and maybe hes not running enough cam, which is true in dans case and by replying when did the 360s have 72cc chambers, which I answered.my replies are correct.ok, the lil engine is like a giant air pump ,the more air in and out the more hp. using a bigger cam as in dans case will allow the engine to flowmore air in accordance with the heads hes using.his swept volume will also support a larger cam, look at the split pattern cams like the lunatis and the aggressive ramps they use on them making the engine valvetrain work faster and creating more flow which will create more hp. thats why the big guns run big cams kid, otherwise with stock heads we would all be running 4.60 lift cams. this is about dans combination not general so get over it and stop acting like a kid .

Really sorry this thread got ugly, after talking it over with the wife i am in fact going to go with a crate motor ..this one in fact
http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=55
When some money starts coming back in sometime in the near future.
I just don't have the time or money to keep throwing away on this dog. thanks for the ideas. and sorry to get folks hot headed.

Didnt check the link, but you might want to rethink a Mopar create motor. Other members might have more info on this, my understanding is that the quality is not that good.

-
Back