heads

-

dan brooks

Reaction score
ok guys tell me what I have here. The one set of heads I picked up this weekend are stamped, 2531894-a 2531894-e
11298 11218
aawj340 aawj340
These are X heads, would like to know if there's a way you can tell what year motor they came off of and anything else you can tell by the numbers.

Here's another set,
3418915-b 3418915-e
12189 05060
aawj360 aawj360
Yes, I'm assuming these are 360 heads but are they a good set for rebuilding? And is there anything else you can tell me about these heads?
Thanks,
Dan Brooks.

lol..sorry..I'm not really into casting numbers...sorry about that. I consider any 340/360 head as a decent usable part..lol.

the 894 head was used on 340,s 1968 to 1970. 1971, they went to 915 castings, with 2.02 or 1.88 intake valves. the 894 head will outflow the 915.
i'vetested both sets, 894 is better. the 915 is an ok head.

I wouldn't waste my time with those near 40 year old castings unless you are restoring a numbers matching car. Otherwise move into the 21 century with some modern castings in either aluminum or cast iron. Leave those lumps for the resto crowd.

those lumps seem to still work in todays motors quite well. they do flow very well. If you have them, use them. no shame in using older heads.

Look, those things are nearly 40 years old, can you say worn out? On top of that they are old technology, and they don't have hardened seats for unleaded. How much money are you going to spend on them? And for what? You could buy new castings and spend a little to clean the ports up and have an all around better performing head with years of life left in it for about the same money. It's a no brainer, same money, better performance, what's not to like?

I've got W5's on my car, they aren't considered new technology either but they are light years ahead of those old iron castings.

some of us have to use what we have. some can and like to have the newest parts. as for the older heads not performing, not true. in fact, a 1971 340 duster in stock eliminator owns the record at 10.76 @ 122.7- mph.
I've seen older heads come in here, still in very good shape. require just a valve grind and guides. to each his own!!!

I'm with Moper. Worn out maybe, fixable? Yes. Cheap? Better than brand spanking new, which doesn't mean they don't need work ethier.
I'm going for a set of LP Comandos in the future. But thats a project head. Not a OOTB and go. As such, even the Edelbrock head should be checked.

perfacar said:
the 894 head was used on 340,s 1968 to 1970. 1971, they went to 915 castings, with 2.02 or 1.88 intake valves. the 894 head will outflow the 915.
i'vetested both sets, 894 is better. the 915 is an ok head.
The 915 was also used in 1970 it is the same casting number as the T/A, it had 2.02 valves and the intake pushrod holes were offset. I have found that both heads flow basicly the same if they have the same size valves.

No one said the older heads wouldn't perform, just that the newer castings are a better starting point. As for you guys with the old heads that like them, well, that's probably because you've never tried newer heads.

I went from stock 1.88's (915's I believe they were) to worked over with 2.02's to W2's to W5's. Each progression netted a significant improvement and I'm sure I could continue on that path with W8's or W9's. Don't sell yourselves short because you think you can't afford newer and better heads without checking what's out there in the used market first or be under the mistaken impression that the older heads are some how superior to the newer heads, because they aren't. Everyone knows the older heads had a bad exhaust port.

Dan, Didnt tell us what he wanted to do with these heads, which makes a big differance in deciding what and why he's using.
If he's drag racing it I think that looking into aftermarket might be cost affective as once guys start they usually want to go faster.

Jim

-
Back