Heat Shield Used With or Without Exhaust Gasket?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
When using heat shield #2946105 on a small block, does one also install the exhaust gasket?

One more question, didn't the factory 1965 273 motors use a similar heat shield, but had one installed on both left and right exhaust manifolds?

Thank you.

No gasket. I only remember seeing them on the 340. Can't remember the 273 having them but that was a long time ago. I have used them on a 360 as well.

Heat shield only on driver side. No gaskets ever when new.

On 1965 Chrysler cars the exhaust manifolds had one model for the left side with longer valley towards the spark plugs and they were not together with each other as the 340s exhaust shield were. On the right side is the same bottom as the left side. Drill out some material from a left side heat shield and you got yourself a nice pair.

Do you have any fotos 65dartcharger?
Yepp, this is the latest I bought from US. If you see the two long "valleys", they are the ones that is not present on the right side. You just drill out the two holes a little bit.

s-l1600.jpg

The heat shields were stamped so to serve as the gasket. Or one could say the gaskets were formed to be shields also. I have NOS left and right here in my 273 Commando parts collection. I would have to look again at the right one to see if the holes for left side extensions were stamped in it. I want to say its not exactly the same shape as left lower piece but honestly don't remember.

My 67 273 had the shield on only the drivers side.

Found this at Mopar Performance Parts - A engine 273,318,340,360

A wee bit pricey but if you have to have it its only money!
gasketex.gif

340 Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
P2946105 340 Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield — Driver’s Side. Fits 1968–70 340 Applications with HP Exhaust Manifolds 183.75

In 1970 there was a passenger side gasket on the 340. You would split the shield off & use gasket. On 1972 340!s there were no gaskets at all!

Once the shield is used, it's sealing areas are crushed and they do tend to leak if re-used. But not always. They can be re-used with a thin gasket if necessary.

-
Back