heater box removal

-

mikess68

Reaction score
little guidance here is needed. i am going to take out the heater box and change the core. there are 3 bolts holding the elect fan onto a large donut gasket under the hood. also in at least 3 places, 1 next, left to blower motor, see pic, one up toward the AC hoses, and one over behind the distributor.Q. which are the bolts to take out. the heater blower seems to only take loose the heater blower motor. now ill try to post the pic> stand by>>>....

heater blower motor.jpg

If it's an a/c car the heater box comes loose from under the dash,
a nut facing down,on a hook that goes up into the vent and a nut up on the a/c box kinda behind the radio.Open the vent door and you can see the hook Those you have pictured are for removing the entire a/c unit

ok, i have to change the heater core. i thought while doing so id check the ac unit in the same box. ive seen where people say the entire box comes out with 3 bolts. but i can only see 3 bolts like the one pictured. i know about the one in the vent box, but where are the others. one behind the radio like in the vent box ok,, but what takes the box out of the dash so i can get to everthing?? im in need of some help so i dont' take the wrong things apart etc. can you be more specific. tks mike

the ac boxes are in two pieces held together in the center with one bolt. it wont come out in one piece. seperate them and it will make it mutch easier.

cudaman 51. ok please tell me more. if im hearing you correct(i see the bolt between) im not looking to drop the heater box out from under the dash. i can take it out in 2 pices? if so, which bolts unhook the box from the firewall. looks like the one in the pic is a mounting screw, and there are 2 more, one behind the distribitor and one toward the upper side of the firewall. the 3 that hold the blower motor seem to only hold the blower motor. pretend i dont know dodge from ford and tell me how to take out the box (readers digest version) tks

i have to go to work right now i have one apart right now but i dont remember all the details. after work tonite ill go check the parts and give you more details.

hi i dont think i am the best person to advise you for this job. all i know for shure is the box would not come out in one piece. after seperating the two halves it came right out. i also took the nuts of all the studs in the moter compartment that were in the area of the heater box. i think i am going to have nite mares about puting this thing back together. good luck

here is a slight overview of what i did and how i blazed the trail for anyone else with a heater box and ac car.

the heater core section is only held by the sky hook inside the vend door on the pass side and by one bolt that joins it to the main box that has the ac unit. the main box is the one that is bolted to the firewall with 4 bolts one on either side of the blower motor , one under the overhand where the wiper motor sits and one behind the dist. cap. the heater core is help in the box with 4 bolts, and that box is held together with the clips that everhone talks about. now the larger 3/4 of the box holds the blower motor and runs left to the ac unit. its all one box. the heater core box sits on top of the 3/4 box and does not even contact the firewall. the seal over the vent door is the same, and it has a foam seat shere it joints the blower motor housing. that is all. there are vac lines that you mark and remove. you need to remove the glove box, the ash tray and the radio first. then no problem
2nd. the ac unit
this box is held by the 4 screws. do not remove the blower motor it is attached to the box and sits in the firewall with a rubber circle around it and it comes out with the box too. once the core is out the 3/4 box comes out easier. its heavy with the ac unit and the blower motor, it has a few elect plugs that you need to mark as you remove and the rest of the vac lines. its has nothing at all to do with how you remove the one for just a heater/non ac car. but it wasn't bad. just a few more parts and doors and vac units. getting it back is will be the rest of the store, i'll give you a write up when that happens after i paint the firewall. the ac drain is a copper stub that goes through the firewall, place a hose on it before you put it back and then tril off the excess afterwards and seal around it. should'nt be a problem. the unit has a 1/4 inch piece of insl, looks like hood insulation that sets between box and firewall. no cardboard. mine came out in tact.

-
Back