Heater Controls 69 A body

-

Benlab1954

Reaction score
Trying to find replacement plastic stubs for the heater controls, there are two plastic stubs in the control that holds the cables for the heat and defrost they are both broken and have gotten another set from a parts car and they broke removing cables. Does anyone know if you can buy replacements or what a person does with this situation. I am a little green at this restoration thing so need all the help I can get. Thanks

I'm looking for them too!! Don't have a picture. The cables have a loop on the end that hooks onto these plastic pieces. The plastic pieces fit into slots cut in the various plates that move when you move the controls. They are only about 1/2" high.

if you have the round disc or any similar piece of plastic, Drill and tap #10-24 . Get a brass allthread screw of sufficient length and screw it in. A drop of super glue supstatutes thread locker and done. I've repaired some without removing the disc piece from the assembly since it has to come apart to do so. Some of the stubs can be slightly longer than originals.
Most inportantly, check the doors in the plenum for debrie, etc... They should open and close fairly easy. Hop this helps

I actually had a friend of mine turn new ones on his lathe from industrial nylon, I just heated the controls up and the center let go and I put the new pieces in and everything works like brand new now and do not have to worry about binding or breaking as they are new.

Well, I rebuilt mine this weekend. Took the unit apart and cleaned it with no problem. Went to the local ACE hardware store, bought some 10x32x1 1/4 fine thread screws, some washers, bolts with nylon lockers and a couple of nylon washers. Worked out great and will never have to worry about those breaking again as the cable hooks fine onto the screw. Yep, it isn't NOS but how many people look behind up and under your dash at your controls????

I did the same trick years ago as a few others here have using a 10/32 screw and nuts. It holds up well and you don't have to worry about breaking the brittle plastic nubs again.

-
Back